1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leaked in trunk, bad 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by timnthomas85, Aug 9, 2021.

1. timnthomas85

timnthomas85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I went out to my 2013 Prius this morning. I unlocked it with FOB when I got in, I went to start it and nothing happened. There was no lights on the dash, sounds, or any sign of life at all. So I went to the trunk to check the 12v battery (I had to crawl into the trunk to open it manually). Everything seemed to be hooked up tight. It was then I notice there was water under the battery, there was also water in the spare tire compartment (we had a very heavy rain/thunder storm last night). I disconnected the 12v battery and mopped up all the water. As I was reconnecting the 12v battery I noticed the dash lights come on. So I got in and it started up. To make sure it wasn't a fluke I turned it off, waited and restarted. Everything was working perfectly, but to be on the safe side I took it to Napa to have them test the battery. The guy came out with his machine. My wife shut off the engine and the guy immediately connected the device. It showed strong at 12 or 13 volts. Then there was a click and the went into complete shutdown mode and the volts began to drop rabidly. He told me the battery is bad and gave me a jump start (because it wouldn't start) and I went home to figure out what I was going to do. I called O'Riley auto and they said if I bring the battery in They could tell me if the battery was charged, low, or bad. I brought the battery in and he used two machines to confirm it was dead. He told me to go home, put the battery back in, jump it, and bring the car to him. When I got home and put the battery back in the dash lights came on and I was able to start the car without a jump. When I brought the car to the O'reiley guy he preformed several more tests. He said the battery had 12 volts while it was in the car hooked up. He ran his 'tests' and told me the battery was bad and that I need a new starter. I really don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. So I drove home and disconnected the battery (so that maybe it will have enough juice tomorrow to start). Any idea what's going on? Could it be the water? Or did the battery really just die for no reason? the date on the battery is 5/19. I would really appreciate any help. I don't have much money to pour into diagnosing and fixing. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely not the water. that is fairly common, and comes in under the rain gutter garnish through weld cracks.
    not sure you are reading the date code correctly, but it is certainly possible that a 2+ year old 12 volt in florida could quit.
    how long have you owned the car?

did you buy the battery? (could be under warranty) what brand is it?

did the car sit much through covid?

yeah, not sure why the oreilly guy thought testing the battery could tell you about the starter, even on a car that has a starter.
    if you want to spend the money on a new battery unnecessarily, you would have to buy a charger and volt meter, and do your own testing. 12-13 volts is not accurate enough.
    of interest is the getting it to start by disconnecting and connecting, check for tight corrosion free connections, also neg to ground.

3. timnthomas85

timnthomas85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We've had the car about two years. The past yearend a half. we have been living in Southern Illinois. I did not buy the battery (unfortunately, so I can't take advantage of the 84 month warrantee on it. I drive the car everyday, even through Covid. The past month I have been using it for Uber--probably putting 15-20 miles on it a day. What were you saying about disconnecting and conecting?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a loose connection if the connecting allows it to start. there are other issues which would prevent the car from starting if you disconnect and reconnect the battery, but those would present a trouble light on the dash
    is it a tru start toyota oem? if so, have you asked them about warranty?

5. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speaking of battery dates, where is it? Is it on the top or one of the sides, and is it always in the same location (for the stock Toyota battery, anyway)? Can the date code be read without disconnecting and removing the battery?

Attached is a picture of the top of my battery. Is that the date in the middle?

Attached Files:

6. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [Duplicate post removed]

7. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    02 October 2015.

battery.jpg

8. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I suspected, but the dealership told me the sticker is on the side. I fear my 12V is near EOL.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don’t walk, run.