1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water only in the back floor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius rules, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Prius rules

Prius rules New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Every time there's a heavy rain water accumulates on the floor on the passenger side in the back. Sitting on the back seat I don't see any water coming in around the window or the door. There's no water on the floor in the front at all. There's no water on the ceiling. There's no sunroof or moonroof. No water appears when there's a light rain. And, the water shows up overnight when the car is not being driven.

Since it's supposed to pour here tomorrow, I'm going to go out and sit in the car for a while and see if I can see anything. If there's any break in the rain I'm going to check the bottom of the door to make sure that the normal weep holes are open. I don't even know if the Prius has weep holes in the bottom of the door.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check where you 12v battery is located, rain also accumulates in that spot too... Because it's hard to see down in there maybe use a stick and see if it comes up wet... As for where the leak is coming from, the most common place is where the black gutter strips on the roof of the car pop off and you can clean underneath... The seams where the metal panels join together in that area going down the back channel of the hatch are where it most often comes from. Possibly debris build up keeps the seems wet and it deteriorates quicker / starts to leak.

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for the "dollar bill test"!

Working around the outer perimeter of the door, close the door with a dollar bill (you can obviously use any US bill, but the neighbors and SO's might raise an eyebrow at a c-note ;) ) between the door and body overlapping a little each time. If you can pull the bill out w/o much (any) resistance, that is where the problem is likely to be.

Aside from the door frame seals, there is really no way for water to get onto the rear seat floor, except an open window.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    READ this thread: Water leak...into spare tire area etc | PriusChat
    You might have this problem. People have posted good pictures tracing the water entry and their repair.​

Nearly all of the water intrusion I have read has been for these two reasons:
    1) small cracks in the body joint sealant (or whatever it is called) at the roof line near the rear hatch hinges (L & R).
    2) recent body work

Door seals would be first for me. But that is possible. It should be easy enough to rule out w/ visual inspection and a hose forcing water along the perimeter. All the times I've washed the car and put high pressure along the perimeter, occasionally A FEW drops might enter.

5. Prius rules

Prius rules New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks everyone. It looks like a good weekend project! You folks are awesome

PriusCamper, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Brother A

Brother A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Curious what your outcome was? I have the same issue happening. Thanks!