1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump and alternator/water pump belt replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amkilpat, Jan 9, 2015.

1. amkilpat

amkilpat Junior Member

The dealer recommended this service at my last oil change in June when my 2005 Prius had 79,786 miles. I'm ready for another oil change and question whether I need this replacement, with total cost of $432.37. Also, is this something that can be done by someone other than the Toyota service department?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The water pump and belt can be replaced by a good mechanic, doesn't have to be the dealer. You can check around for mechanics that can do the work but the price the dealer quoted you isn't all that bad. I would think a non dealer would charge around $300 for the job.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is your coolant level going down, or is the engine coolant pump leaking noticeably? If not, then you can wait a bit.

Also, there is no alternator in the Prius. The belt only runs the pump.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sometimes coolant level may only go down on radiator and not on overflow tank. So if you only check overflow it still might have leaked.

5. AVERAGE_J

AVERAGE_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had my serpentine belt changed when I went in for an oil change. Then on my next oil changed, 4 months later, the dealer told me now my engine water pump is leaking slowly. THEY WANTED $506 for it. After seeking advice on from here on changing the water pump, it is to my attention that you might want it done at the dealership, especially for that price, and find a coupon for 10% off if you can. Your ma and pa mech might not purge the air bubble out when completing the job, causing you more issues later on down the road. now, i am assuming your ma and pa would know how to purge the air bubble out when replacing your coolant. but i wouldn't take the chance because with the dealer, you can always come back to them and said u screwed up. when its only $400 bucks, i would take that deal.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good advice. ^

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not bad advice because its very difficult to
    Remove the airlock with an ice coolant change.

Make sure u say u want the coolant changed as some may not change the coolant. This is the optimum tine to do it. They use Toyota software laptop to turn on the CHRS motor which helps circulate the coolant when bleeding.

When u pick up the car for a while while heat is on and radio off listen carefully behind the dash for water rushing or gurgling sounds. This means there is still air in the system still which is bad. Seen many posts where dealer did shoddy bleed job.

If me in the am the next day I would remove the top cover to access the rad cap and check if coolant low.
    Should be right to the top. Then with flashlight
    Check the overflow reservoir for proper coolant.

Just cause its the dealer doesn't mean they wont mess it up.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 140000 miles on original water pump and belt.

Many (most?) Gen2 Prii show signs of water pump leakage by about 80000 miles as evidenced by colorful pink salts at the lower belt pulley. Many Gen2 owners replace at this juncture, in many cases replaced under extended warranty. In my case I re-filled (with the special Toyota red coolant fluid) and monitored and the leaks stopped.

9. AVERAGE_J

AVERAGE_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean you refill it with the "Toyota super long-life anti coolant" and the leak stopped by itself? that goes against the law of nature. If it starting to leak, it would increase over time.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When monitoring engine coolant level, I hope you are looking at the coolant level in the radiator itself, and not just relying upon observing the level in the overflow reservoir. When the engine coolant pump bearing starts to leak, it seems that air can enter the system via the bearing as it heats and cools. Should air enter, the overflow reservoir no longer will replenish drops in radiator coolant level.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep my black plastic cover has the screw broken in that area now so I just lift it and unscrew the cap. I am confused if the overflow reservoir works or just sits there.

Alls I can say is that's my experience. It had a pretty bad leak I had to add a lot of fluid, but after that it was OK. I had not purchased the extended warranty so I was trying to see if I had to replace. At the time many with extended warranty had it replaced free.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When the coolant in the engine and radiator is heated it expands pushing coolant into the overflow reservoir. When it cools the coolant contracts and draws coolant back from the reservoir that is slightly pressurized.
    The system is sealed by a pressure cap on the reservoir with a one way valve to allow air into the top of the reservoir. If the coolant pump bearing leaks coolant under pressure when the system gets hot no coolant is pushed into the reservoir it leaks from the bearing instead.
    When the coolant cools and contracts there is no pressure in the reservoir and air is drawn into the system through the same path that the coolant escaped through.
    The one way valve in the pressure cap needs a small vacuum in the reservoir to open it and let fluid into the cooling system. This vacuum cannot exist if there is a leak in the system.
    So the system looses coolant but the reservoir does not top the system up. This design is common to all vehicles that I have seen, but the simple addition of a second connecting hose to the reservoir would overcome this problem as long as the reservoir was above the rest of the system.

John (Britprius)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't say most gen II's need a pump by 80,000 miles. it's difficult to put a number or percent on it when all you read here are people who need it.

14. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ha, my 2007 Prius's ICE water pump had a bunch of "pink ice salt" deposits on the inside of the pulley and my ICE coolant level was slightly low. I also topped off (pulled off black plastic cover, radiator was FULL), cleaned the deposits off the pulley, and kept on driving. That was ~6-7 months ago, 7000 miles have been driven and it hasnt leaked since! I suppose I get to join the (short-term) "add coolant to a leaking ICE water pump and keep motoring" club! :D

When the time comes, I fully intend on replacing the pump myself. It looks super easy, compared to some water pumps I've replaced in the past!

15. playne

playne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III

I need to replace my water pump bearing Prius guy 32, what instructions are you looking at?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's a good video on youtube.

17. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is very easy !

18. playne

playne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That was exactly what I needed JC91006, thank you. I've got the part I need and I'm replacing it today.

19. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have never replaced the belt, I am pretty sure that needs to be done. But, I am wondering what makes the dealer think the water pump needs to be replaced? If it is not making a noise or leaking, I would not mess with it.

Mike