1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump at 156k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iskoos, Jun 2, 2019.

1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My 2010 Prius III is going strong. I have put about 14k miles on it since I bought it in December 2017 and all I have done so far is changing the tires and engine oil (every 5000k miles). I have done a few preventative maintenance (cleaning the intake, EGR cooler TB etc.)
    Pretty much the only parts I replaced were the spark plugs. It wasn't giving me any warning sign but I replaced them since they were cheap and the engine was already half disassembled.

Nothing broke down on me so far (Knock on wood:))

Now, a good friend recommended that I should replace the electric water pump as a preventative maintenance. He said at my mileage, it is a matter of time that it goes out.
    I used to be a big fan of all preventative maintenance work whether it involves just a labor or replacing parts. But later my perspective changed. I now perform preventative maintenance that involves parts cleaning and labor work only, not the ones that require replacing expensive parts.
    With this said, replacing a water pump will fall into the category I do not favor any longer.

However, my friend just made me think about it. I do not have an engine temp gauge on this vehicle. If my water pump starts to fail one day, how would I know this?

I am sure I will get a light on the dash and hopefully it won't be too late when I see it.:rolleyes:

Any recommendation, experience, comment you would like to share?

Thanks

Prieth likes this.
  2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Drive with a ScanGuage. It can monitor many useful functions, 4 at a time, including water temperature. Phone apps can do the same, if that's you preference.

Robert Holt and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did a preventative maintenance item on the water pump at 175 k miles on our 2010. My thought behind it was that at that time, it was in service for over8 years and had a fair bit of mileage ;).

When pulled there was notable resistance to spin when compared to the new Aisin one that went in. I have helped with 2 other water pump replacements, and this finding is consistent. There have been some that have had their water pump fail (@Joele3 comes to mind) and then had the head gasket to deal with :cool:.

So it was worth the piece of mind for me:).

Hope that helps (y).

kerbear54, icyrius and Prieth like this.
  4. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a basic OBD II device that would display the coolant temperature. I have used it a few times. All is normal at the moment. The issue is that I cannot keep driving the car with it connected:)
    My Idea is to get a warning sign a head of time since the dash does not have a temp gauge.

5. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ray, do you know what type of warning do you get if your pump fails? And I imagine once you get the warning, and you pull over immediately, it is not the end of the story. Because in that case, it wouldn't be called a warning sign, rather it would be the formal notification that you are screwed.

6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You get the dash light that tells you it’s too late:(.

After talking to Joele (he lives close by to me), he convinced me that the preventive pump replacement was wise;).

So I didn’t think twice (y).

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would think it's mostly miles, not months? You know why I'm asking, lol.

CR94 and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It could be, but your pump is now also 10 years old too;).

Where I work we do a lot of preventative maintenance based on service interval and not “run to failure”.

Some of the things we PM, are not close to failing, so we extend the interval based on data. But the 3 pumps I’ve seem come out of service on Prii that were 7-9 years old and had 140k plus miles, I wouldn’t extend the interval :cool:.

I’d like to see a low mileage garage queen swap though for a data point(y).

Prieth, Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is kind of unacceptable to me if Toyota really designed it that way. I hope there is some safety margin built into that...

10. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While doing some more research, I have come up with the following video clip.

Looks like more info will be on P.548. I am gonna check it now...

11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It’s not just toyota that doesn’t have a temp gauge (or I would find it hard to believe they are the only one).

If you think of it this way it might make sense: they design cars that meet a service life(here wisdom is that to be 180k miles). So how many failures have we seen before this interval? Not many;).

If you want to take your Prius past the design threshold, it’ll take some work, but is cheaper than the alternative of buying another car(y).

12. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Checked the use manual and I can say it isn't very helpful. It can't even tell you the difference between the flashing or constantly On high-temp warning light.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the electric pump fails without warning within reasonable life of the car, it is a huge leap backwards from a conventional belt driven pump.

14. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hope you are right on that.
    I am not expecting it to last forever. Things will break eventually. I am hoping that it would give out symptoms while failing. And so far it seems so from what I have read. Water Pump loses rpm and causes overheat. So it slowly fails. Though I am sure there would be cases where it might stopped working instantly.

15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Conventional pumps are not susceptible to those failure modes, unless the impeller or pulley comes loose. The fuel savings allowed by the electric pump would take centuries to compensate for high risk of cooking the engine.

16. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So do we get a decent warning if we monitor OBD data? Hopefully pump RPM or duty cycle or something like that many miles before coolant temp starts trending high? (Seems like we already need to monitor for an overheat from other causes -- the dash lights aren't saving anyone from blowing head gaskets.)

17. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You will get the warning light, which will illuminate before engine damage. Even with a temperature gauge, most drivers figure out they are overheating when they get the accompanying warning light.

18. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Many new cars do not. Among several - 2010 and later Outback, 2009 Honda Fit, etc. Soon the temperature indicator will go the way of the old voltage gauge.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That’s a funny comment because I monitor both system voltage and coolant temperature as 2 of the 4 fields on our Scanhguage II, which is mounted just in front of the steering wheel.
    But what about an ammeter gauge, huh? At least one of my earliest cars (52 Packard?) had one, and it was necessary as that car had a DC generator that barely supplied enough amps at higher rpms, so at idle the amp gauge would actually show a slight discharge. Since the Generator commutator brushes were always wearing down, you had to use that amp gauge to detect the lack of charging at higher rpms and then change out the brushes. They don’t make them like they used to! (Thank dog.)

Raytheeagle and jb in NE like this.
  20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't forget vacuum gages - the early fuel economy indicators.

Robert Holt likes this.