1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump - Brake Actuator - Safety Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lilly58, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 28000 miles on it. This year I've had to replace the 12V battery (second one for the car), and when taking it in for a minor squeak during start, I was told that the following items would need to be replaced:
    Brake Actuator - $3,300
    Leaking Water Pump - $650
    AC Hoses - $350

So, I'm guessing it's time to get a new car. Would like to go with another Prius, but these are hard to come by. While I'm trying to get a new car, can anyone tell me how safe my current Prius is to drive with the issues above? The dealer thinks the Water Pump leak is minor and should be good for 3-6 months. They said the Brake Actuator is nuisance only. AC is obviously comfort, not safety.

So, can anyone tell me if the above is true. If I spend the money to get the water pump fixed, can I safely drive the care for say, 6 months, until I can get a new car?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and quite likely that your existing water pump will last longer than that, with no real need to replace it at this time.

You can get additional repair opinions, less expensive estimates, and overall support by contacting the two local businesses below :

http://www.carspecmn.com (in Eden Prairie) - (952) 426-4798 - Monday-Friday 9am-5pm | Please call for estimates and appointments

Brad ( @strawbrad ) at MN Hybrid Battery – MN Hybrid Battery - 952-769-9720

Please reach out to me when you are ready to sell your Prius, as I would be interested in purchasing. Also, if you need someone to deliver a new(er) Prius from Portland / Long Beach (or the West Coast), that is also an option.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.