1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump failed need a new replacement my options...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gaby03, May 27, 2022.

1. Gaby03

Gaby03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    As of 2 days ago while driving i got the red triangle tho the car kept running fine. I took it to autozone to get the codes cheked and got a secondary dtcs P0A93 code. And from what ive read the inverter pump need replacement. I can moreless confirm this after verifying for flow in the resevoir and there was none to see.
    Now im not planing to own this car for more than 3 to 4 years and was not about to buy a 200 eagle pump from toyota or a local autoparts store. after all the car is above 300k miles and might as well end way before the new pump dies. So i went to rock auto in search for a more economical replacement. Now there seems to be more than 1 type and im not to versed on this, so if anyone could alude to wich of these to sections is technically the right one for the inverter pump the one that u usually check the resevoir for move that would be awesome. and if anyone has tried any of these parts before feed back would be quite cool too. Thanks in advance! Screenshot (179).png

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Gaby. I just bought this pump for my 2008 with 118K miles. Mine is running fine but it is the original and I don't want to be stranded. I paid $146.35 for a new genuine Toyota replacement shipped to my house from Amazon. I have heard horror stories about the cheap $62 ones lasting a few months. I didn't want to deal with that. My wifes 08 with 116K got the RTOD and through the same code. Sure enough no turbulance in the coolant reservoir. I had to fix ASAP so I paid $178.20 from the dealership to fix hers. So I'm replacing mine as preventative maintenance. I would go that route. It was pretty easy. Took me about an hour. I would ABSOLUTLY remove the driver side headlight to get to it. Well worth it.

3. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What you are basically asking is should you skimp on price to repair the item that insures the electrical system ON A HYBRID car stays at operating temperature

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah. I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy. And I cry A LOT when my cars are down and I can't use them and they don't do there job.

5. Gaby03

Gaby03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    General reply, thanks for the input to all. I decided to go for oe doorman pump. Im aware of the risks of the pump not being oem standard or bought from the dealer directly. In total it was about 110. If it fails after a few months welp im screwed lol.

Additionally i just cheked amazon and saw a bunch of sub $40 replacement pumps , no im not thinking of getting but i have to wonder how bad those might be.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #6 alftoy, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, good luck with that Dorman. The one I had worked really well, pumped even stronger than an OEM pump. Just one little problem - once and a while it refused to start when the car did. The only thing worse than a total failure is an intermittent one. Start saving up for an OEM pump.

Gaby03 likes this.