1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump for inverter unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by worrachai, Oct 29, 2015.

1. worrachai

worrachai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm user PRIUS in Thailand. In service manual doesn't show the limit time to change the water pump of inverter unit. Do you know the limit time or limit mileage for change it?

Example, engine's water pump has the limit around 200,000 Km(125,000Mile). But why inverter water pump no limit using time?

I asked to Toyota dealer in Thailand. Service person cannot answer to me. They told me that using until damage. But they can check the part list and price to me. Oh my god!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we don't have a limit on either. most people wait until they break.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. worrachai

worrachai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    how many KM or Mile they will be break? Do you have any comment?
    Regarding, I use this car mostly long way road (100-300KM/trip). I want to protect this problem in advance.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to be reasonably safe, i would replace it every 100,000 miles. if you want to do both of the at 125,000, i think you will be okay.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You could replace it with a new one and the new one could fail after an hours use. Replacing the original with a new one won't "make sure" it won't fail. It -may- lower the probability a bit. But one that has been working well would be "more reliable" than a new one that has never been tested in a car.

Remove the cap. on the inverter coolant reservoir when the car is in "ready" and look inside. If you see the coolant moving the pump is fine. It it isn't moving get a new pump. You can drive without the pump functioning. Eventually it will cause a problem with the inverter, but not right away.

Oh, and don't try to test the engine coolant pump by looking in the reservoir. That system is pressurized. Removing the cap while the car is warm is a "bad thing" (tm).

#5 David Beale, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before they fail, do they typically give any warning symptoms (unusual noises, reduced flow rate, leakage, codes, or whatever ... )?
    Similar questions might apply to the even more critical engine coolant pump.

#6 CR94, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The problem is there can be many failure modes. For example, a particle in the coolant jams the rotor and the motor burns out. Or the bearing goes (you might be able to hear this happening). Or the plastic case fails (you might be able to see coolant leaking before it gets really bad).

I had a water pump seal failure on Pearl (mechanical pump on the engine). I opened the hood to check the oil and found party decorations in there - pink stringy stuff everywhere. ;) But no coolant on the floor of the garage.

But I repeat on the OP's idea. It's not good practice to replace parts to ensure no failure. A new part can have a lower MTBF than a good working part. MTBF is mean time before failure. The only time it might be a good idea is if the machinery has been disassembled to repair something else, and while in there you replace something that is very expensive to get at. Such as the waterpump on a "normal" car when you are replacing a radiator, or the camshaft belt pulleys/tensioner on a normal car when you are replacing the belt.
    Further, as I implied in my original reply, the inverter coolant pump is not a critical part. The engine coolant pump is. So is the inverter itself.

If you are that worried stay home, or buy a new car every year. And even that is a fools errand. New cars often have minor parts fail in the first few months of operation.

The Prius is Toyota's second most reliable vehicle, behind a Lexus. Don't worry, be happy. ;)

Robertto09 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only failure notification i recall is the car shutting down and the dash lighting up.:unsure:

9. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a "Replacing the Inverter Pump on a GEN III " video around somewhere ?? Im beginning to think there ISNT a pump for the inverter on a Gen 3.... LOL !

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the Repair Manual instruction. Involves removal of the inverter. Not sure if that's absolutely necessary. I'd be inclined to not do this preemptively, just too involved, may never fail.

m.wynn and gkalexdc like this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are concerned about it failing on a long trip, and you have the money, you could consider just buying one at 100,000 or 125,000 miles, and keeping it in the back of the car with some tools. You may never need to install it, but you will have it if you need it.

Of course, you could do that with a lot of parts that may or may not fail, and your Prius could get rather heavy.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and gkalexdc like this.
  12. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Start pulling a trailer with everything is the ultimate goal!! Hahahahaha !! Good one Chap..!
    Greg