1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump leaking at 45k miles....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SW03ES, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey all,

The Prius was at the independent Toyota/Lexus shop today and came back with a diagnosis that the oil pump was leaking and would require replacement.

My mechanic (whom I trust) seemed to think that this should be covered under the powertrain warranty, any thoughts?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Oil pump leaking at 45k miles....

Yes, this should be covered by the 5 year / 60K mile powertrain warranty. This requires removal and replacement of the front engine cover (which also contains the engine oil pump.) This also means that the valve cover has to be taken off and the crankshaft pulley has to be pulled.

I haven't noticed other complaints about the engine oil pump leaking, especially at this relatively low odometer reading.

If you would find this a fun outing, I suggest that you visit your car when the engine has been disassembled, and take some photos. You might find it interesting to see the valvetrain, the timing chain, etc.; while I am sure that PriusChat members would like seeing your pictures.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Yeah I did a search and didn't come up with anything. My wife was there and I wasn't so I'm waiting on the mechanic to call me back so we can discuss it.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Correction, just spoke to him and its the water pump, not the oil pump.

Any thoughts as to whether the water pump would be covered?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    water pump is still 5/60. and is a far easier replacement.

6. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yea, I've seen a rare occasional water pump go bad. Law of averages says you cannot make 100% reliable everything.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, I figured I would consult the warranty booklet (novel idea huh? LOL) and its specifically mentioned.

Hey Galaxee, my guy mentioned the timing belt looked dry and suggested we replace it at the same time. Makes sense to me from a labor perspective, you think its worth it to pay the Toyota dealer to do the belt while they're in there.

He quoted me $265 to do the water pump and the belt which seems pretty good, no idea what Toyota would charge in addition to the warranty replacement of the pump...

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    accessory belt? there is no t belt...

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi SW03ES,

If the engine water pump is being replaced by the Toyota dealer under the powertrain warranty, and you would also like the serpentine drive belt to be replaced at the same time (which is a good idea), then you should be paying only for the belt since no additional labor is required. MSRP is $17 for the belt.
    Champion ToyotaWorld

Hi g,

What is this "learning more and more about less and less" in your signature?

As a PhD candidate is supposed to create new knowledge, I suppose you have to tightly focus to achieve that end... :rolleyes:

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The PhD means that you become the expert in a subject so obscure and narrow that no one else ever attempted to do a dissertation on that subject before. Its like a knowledge singularity point. :madgrin:

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I meant the serpentine belt. I'm used to the timing belt speak in the Lexus...

Thats what my mechanic was saying, he was just going to charge me the cost of the belt. Hopefully Toyota will see it the same way.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    usually if they're already in there, it's substantially cheaper to replace the parts. just wanted to be sure they weren't bullshitting you!

PW-
    in order to have a unique contribution to the scientific body of knowledge, you have to focus REALLY tightly on your subject and learn a LOT about it. at this point, i'm pretty much the world's expert on my sub-sub-sub-subfield. ;)
    it's a reference to this comic

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The dealer wants $60 for the serpentene belt, just the part no labor. I may order one online and take it with me...goes in Tuesday.

Thanks for your help!

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Attached Files:

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah thats what I had for it online too...

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    List price is only $17.20 and your dealer is trying to charge $60? That's a hell of a markup.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think the guy was just confused on the phone. Total cost: $22, I was relieved since I hadn't gotten around to ordering it.