1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Crabricorn, Jun 30, 2010.

1. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    6 people like this.
  2. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, here's a question: Do I request that this be performed just based on my VIN? Or, do I have to get the MIL and the listed DTC's in order to get the new water pump?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tsutsumi is the name of at least one (?) of Toyota's plants. I have taken a tour of a/the Tsutsumi plant years ago. 2nd gen Priuses were on the line along w/Camrys and a bunch of other vehicles, some that don't exist in the US.

4. RipUs

RipUs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Water Pump Problem: Getting Refunded

I bought a 2006 Prius brand new, and around 63,000 miles, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. Before bringing it in, I called my dad who is an auto mechanics professsor, who bet me $100 it was the water pump, because Toyota had generated some sort of "pre-recall" service notice on the part.

I brought the car in, and it took two days to fix, and they replaced the water pump, at a cost of around $400-$500 with labor. Two weeks later, I get a notice that the car has been recalled, because all water pumps needed to be replaced...Of course, I was furious, because they had just charged me nearly $500 to fix a part they had to recall. So I had to bring the car in again, have the water pump replaced a second time, and since then I've been having to deal with the Toyota Corporate office to get my $500 refunded. This was back in November, and they still haven't refunded my money. So I've had three water pumps in my car...hopefully this one lasts a little longer than the first one. I'll let you know if they ever pay me back, or how the court case turns out...

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the TSB Josh.

Eric, the way it is written I think we have to wait for the old one to fail before we can get a replacement. I don't like that at all. Some of the places I go I might have to have the car towed for a couple of hundred miles. A broken car in the middle of nowhere is no fun. I wonder if they will provide a loaner car?

I wonder what the failure mode is?