1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ptwebber, Aug 4, 2020.

1. ptwebber

ptwebber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was told that the water pump should be replaced every 80 thousand miles is this true? 2015 with 86k on it. How about belts for the fan water pump etc and the hoses from the radiator after 5yrs of highway travel should they be replaced? Anything else that after 5 yrs should be looked at?

2. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are no belts and I would not bother to replace a water pump just because the car has 80k miles on it. Hoses either. There are probly some fluids that could be changed......

Bay Stater likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sources please, the more the specific, the better.

4. Supersonic1

Supersonic1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    One Prius maintenance expert whose article I read firmly recommended 120K for the water pump replacement. Since I had just passed that mileage, and I now consider my 2012 Prius V (124K miles) a 10 year-old vehicle, and I live in Las Vegas with 100-115 outside air temperatures, I was seriously considering it. Then last weekend, I saw a coolant temperature light come on for about 5 seconds then go off. No other indications of trouble. So this week I decided to have a local shop replace the engine coolant pump, thermostat, and inverter coolant pump. Here is the photo of the old engine coolant pump. Note the cracked plastic covering on the rotor. The engine coolant pump was indeed going to fail soon and I am glad I got it replaced before it did.

IMG_0811.jpg

#4 Supersonic1, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Otium likes this.