1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump replacement? How much does it normally cost?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeCountyPrius21, Jun 21, 2013.

1. OrangeCountyPrius21

OrangeCountyPrius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My gf lives in Colorado for school and recently took her 2009 Prius in for oil change. They mentioned something about her water pump leaking and needing to be replaced very soon and it was a more common issue due to the colder weather in CO. They quoted her nearly $600 to fix this. Does this sound right to any of you who may have had this done already? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. tere1998

tere1998 Junior Member

I live in Phoenix, AZ and just had mine replaced in my 2007 Prius yesterday. It was $450 at the dealership.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Both those prices sound way too high! Do more research with word searches on here.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I noticed the invoice shows $55 for an oil change which supposedly included five quarts of recycled oil. Your GF needs to find a better place to have the Prius oil changed, one that 1) uses no more than 3.8 quarts of new (not recycled) oil and 2) costs less. She also should check the engine oil level on the dipstick to make sure the engine oil was not overfilled.

2. It is possible that the engine coolant pump might be leaking. Your GF should look at the inside of the coolant pump pulley for a pinkish residue which would be evidence that the pump bearing is beginning to leak. As the leak gets worse, some of this residue will accumulate on the air conditioner compressor housing which is below the coolant pump. She also should look at the radiator overflow reservoir to see whether the fluid level is dropping down below the full mark.

If there is no evidence of the pinkish residue then the pump probably is fine. In addition, the quoted repair price is quite high.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  5. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Call several dealers in the area. They will all have different prices. Always get the name of the person who gave you the price. Not uncommon to show up and be given a higher price. To give you an idea. I charge $220 total for new OEM pump, Toyota SLLC and new OEM belt.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  6. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In general, no matter where you go, mechanics or specially dealerships, will jack up prices. I recently paid $466 to replace my serpentine belt and water pump. The pump had broken and the serpentine belt had come lose and off; got the Read Exclamation sign of death on the dashboard but was able to drive a few miles home; that was a bad idea because I could have damaged the engine. Now the car runs great again. I agreed to the price because I needed the car; i looked at the bill and got overcharged for the parts. I'd visited this mechanic before because of fair prices and good work but won't be going there again. I failed to research this time, mostly because I needed the car fixed asap.

Here is what those OEM parts really cost:
    Water Pump: $50-$65.
    Serpentine Belt: $12-$20.
    Long life pink coolant: $20

It is very simple to change belt and pump, specially if you take the right front tire off in order to take the panel which gives u full visibility of the tensioner pulley; there are lots of videos on how to get this done in YouTube. I needed to fix right away so had no choice. The job for an expert mechanic should take no longer than 2 hours (they can easily do in an hour), so I would say a reasonable price would be $300-$350.
    Dare and just try it yourself. If anything fails you can always take it to the mechanic.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty much the old question of how much would you pay for a bucket of water if your head was on fire?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  8. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm getting ready to find out how much, My car's water pump just took a dump.

9. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, pretty much!