1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ajayre, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my 2004 57k miles in for a service at the stealership and they tell me that my "water pump" (didn't say which one) is leaking and needs replacing now.

I went with my flashlight and looked at the engine water pump pulley and I can *just* make out a bit of pink staining on the side however there is nothing inside the pulley and none of these "pink bird droppings" that I've read about. There doesn't seem to be anything on the unit below (air conditioning?).

I'm just a guy who doesn't know much about engines but really doesn't want to be ripped off, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'll be keeping an eye on the radiator coolant level. Is a failing water pump very obvious? Can you only tell by looking from the underneath? Should I take them seriously or be skeptical? Should I avoid long journeys? Sigh.

Thanks, Andy

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are three coolant pumps on your Gen II Prius: #1) the normal water pump; #2) the inverter coolant pump; and #3) the coolant transfer pump for the thermos bottle.

Any of the three could be leaking. Make sure you keep an eye on the coolant level for the inverter as well as the engine.

Tom

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are three pumps on the UK Prius as in 1 and 2 above, but there is no transfer pump as in the US. There is a third pump that circulates hot water to the heater when the engine is not running. However the pump that is most likely to be leaking is the one that is driven by the engine belt and should run with a minor leak for some time yet, but keep an eye on the level of coolant and top up if required. I know i'm going to get shot down hear but if you need to top up urgently and do not have the correct fluid use clean water. Any coolant is better than no coolant, and when the pump is changed so will the coolant.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oops. I missed the OP's location. No transfer pump as stated above.

Tom

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should have said in my previous post the inverter coolant pump is under recall (changed free of charge) even if it is OK and it does not have to be in warranty. Check with your dealer some do not check for recalls.
    The engine water pump is the same as any other car and after market pumps seem to be more reliable than OEM any garage could fit one, and if you are a DIY type you can do it yourself, also a good time to change the belt.

6. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the great replies as always! I will clarify which "water pump" they meant.

Andy

7. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I confirmed it is the engine water pump.

I've found an independent garage that can do it for half the price of the dealer but they've never changed a water pump on a Prius before. Is there anything different about doing it on a Prius to a regular car or should I just play it safe and stick with the dealer?

Thanks, Andy

8. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    tell the independent mechanic that if they muck your car up you're gonna recreate the Vinnie Jones Lock Stock Two Smokin Barrels car door scene with his head.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The pump on the engine is much the same as any other petrol car, the main difference is the coolant should be replaced, (with the correct Toyota long life coolant) and it is more difficult to get all the air out of the system.
    Do a search On engine water pump replacement in the search box at the top of this page and print it off for your garage to work from, but as I have said before the pump is easy to change.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do check with your dealer if the inverter coolant pump witch is an electric pump needs to be changed under the recall, it is free of charge and could save you problems in the future.The coolant in That system is changed along with the pump.

John

1 person likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is leaking too (pink "turds" per prior post). It is a generic issue on many of this vintage. I am unclear how long we can defer, but that is my currect plan.

This is exactly what the pink residue looks like:
    :cheer2:

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I say to both ajayre and wjtracy. Fix this problem yourself. It is not hard. Removing the cover/skid plate on the bottom of the car and the passenger front wheel gives you easy access to it. Bleeding the cooling system is not scary either. I would consider this an easy to moderately easy task.

1) Loosen the passenger front wheel lug nuts
    2) Jack up the passenger front and place on jackstand
    3) Remove the front wheel
    4) Remove the passenger skid plate/cover
    5) Loosen the belt pulley (top left of the engine)
    6) Loosen the idler tension adjust screw and remove belt
    7) Drain coolant
    8) Remove water pump and replace
    9) Reverse to step 1 (ie: fill coolant, replace belt (new), tighten idler tension screw etc).

Its tooooooo easy.

I may have missed a step or simplified it too much but, get a manual (I prefer Haynes) and it will be detailed for you or, its probably on here with step by step procedures (although I couldn't find it).

I'm guessing its about a four hour job for a novice.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One small point Ajayre's car is a UK vehicle so every time you say passengers you mean drivers other wise he will never find the coolant pump.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...are you assuming I have a ramps to lift the front end up?

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ramps won't work, you will need a jack (in the trunk) and a jackstand (purchase). Even if you have to buy all the tools, it will be cheaper to DIY.

Originally Posted by Britprius [​IMG]
    One small point Ajayre's car is a UK vehicle so every time you say passengers you mean drivers other wise he will never find the coolant pump.

Good point.

16. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to own a Jeep and I bought a 2" hitch receiver for it. The instructions said "easy 1/2 hour install". Well it took three of us four hours to get it installed, including accidentally jamming a wrench in the suspension. That was the beginning and end of my mechanical experiments... At least I was able to pull a UHaul trailer 4000 miles with it so it wasn't total failure. :p

Britprius - I asked the main dealer about the inverter water pump. They told me it was replaced last year, which it wasn't because I owned it for the whole of last year. So I guess Toyota's records are screwed up. I'll have to press them further I guess but dealing with them is painful.

Thanks everyone!

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do not let them put you off, it will be obvious if the pump was not changed because I believe the part number changed. Ask for the phone number of Toyota UK and speak to them, they will get things moving.
    This pump replacement is important as if it fails it could damage your inverter £s X 1000. Not trying to scare you but keep pressing.

18. steelcityuk

steelcityuk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea why the UK version didn't get the vacuum flask system?

Thanks.

Steve.

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When they changed my engine coolant pump at the dealer under warranty they DIDN'T change the coolant. They put the old stuff back in.

Keep an eye on the underside of the hood. Coolant will be thrown there as well. When the leak gets large enough it looks like someone "decorated" the engine compartment. That is what I found early last winter. Very pretty. ;)

You might as well get it changed as soon as convenient. If you don't it will absolutely need to be changed when NOT convenient.

It's one of Murphy's laws!

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The vacuum flask system was added to help meet US emission control specifications. It wasn't needed anywhere else.

Tom