1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water useage

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Bob Allen, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Speaking of hot water . . .
    Save energy with one of these Drainwater Heat Recovery Systems.
    [​IMG]
    http://gfxtechnology.com/

Years ago, the entire extended family stayed at a large vacation house on Lake Tahoe for a week. It had one of these heat recovery devices on each of the five bathrooms. One had access to the back of the shower through the garage storage area. I couldn't believe the “cold†water heading to the shower was actually quite warm.

I can see how these things can save lots of money. Too bad for me that the layout of my house is not conducive to installing one. :(

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am all for conserving water. I have a well and we have one of those economical toilets. However they are not economical if you have to flush them twice to do the job. I dream of the day I can go to Canada and smuggle in a full size effient and powerful toilet so I no longer have to check back in two minutes to see how much is left for the second flush.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 19 2004, 05:58 AM) [snapback]22796[/snapback]</div>
    That's kind of like saying no oil is really wasted, since it all gets recycled (thru the carbon dioxide loop) back into plant life, eventually into peat, then coal or oil again. It only takes a few million years.

That's also ignoring the energy used to heat the hot water and to clean all of it to drinking standards, even though most gets flushed down the toilet, or sprayed into grass. Also ignores the fact that this water is diverted from streams where it could be used by wildlife, or from aquifers which can take centuries to be replenished. (Because they don't pump the waste water upstream or underground to where it was taken - you can be sure of that).

My house was built about 1990, right after the low-flow toilets were mandated. I'm sure the builder went for cheap toilets as well. The result is toilets that easily clog - nowadays they've improved the design to work much better for the 1.6 gal flush size. So I'm thinking of replacing them someday when I get a few nickels to rub together.
    But an option I've recently heard about: dual-flush kits - install this on your toilet, and do a half-flush for #1 and a full-flush for #2. I'm going to look into adding that.

Also, I'm surprised darelldd hasn't spoken up yet. On his web page is a link to another hot-water recirculator: http://www.chilipepperapp.com/howit.htm. On demand, it'll recirculate the cooled-off water in the hot-water pipes until it detects new hot water and stops, so when you turn on the tap, you get hot water. Otherwise you generally turn it on and walk away for a bit, and run some hot water down the drain.

Finally, I disagree with the shaving in the shower idea (at least for men) - I rarely have the water running while shaving at the sink, and when I do, it's half-stream. If I shaved in the shower, unless I stopped the water, I'd be wasting a whole lot of water while just standing there.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dual flush toilet is common down under. They're required by building code in Oz. They're common place in NZ. They offer a 3L flush for "whiz" and 6L for more, uh, industrial tasks. There is a model available at Home Depot. They cost about $400 or so.

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 19 2004, 05:58 AM) [snapback]22796[/snapback]</div>

I have trouble digesting this comment. When a person uses water for any reason, it does indeed go down the drain to get "recycled". However, this water must be pumped back to a water treatment plant for handling. This processing requires a lot of energy and and a lot of chemicals. The water treatment plant uses electricity, which requires polluting energy. This just speaks to the consequences of city use. For well service there are more consequences like depleting limited groundwater resources. I grew up in the city and used to take water for granted. Thankfully, knowledge has altered my use practices.

I've tried to be aware and reduce usage by implementing the following: I don't water whatever lawn I haven't yet killed. I planted native plants where the areas of lawn that used to exist (these don't require watering once established, unless drought conditions exist), i shower with the water off in the summer months turning it on only to rinse (in the winter i'm too big a sissy to do this), turn the water off when brushing my teeth, have installed low volume toilets, use the discarded cat water to water the plants in the garden that may require a boost and so on.

I purchased a rain barrel but haven't installed this. If anyone has success stories about it, I'd like to hear. I am afraid of cutting my downspout in half only to find out that this practice is not effective and that it creates more problems than it solves.

6. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 12 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]285035[/snapback]</div>
    This article might be of interest to you, although you might already be aware of the huge quantities of water available off a roof with rain barrels in place, I wasn't. Of course we'd have to have some rain for it to work, we haven't. :( http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.sto...nk-Page?id=5497
    We just had gutters put on up front and are looking for a source for good rain barrels to use up there. Then, this fall we will have gutters added on the back and , over the next year connect them to a few barrels leading to some sort of cistern/holding tank in what is now a medium sized raised bed. We haven't figured out the details on the cistern, but even having multiple connected rain barrels at each side of the house should help

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was aware of the ample volume of roof run off when I had someone come over to quote installation of a rain garden. Unfortunately, the barrel has been sitting in my garage FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!! It's a nice one too (when comparing it to recommendations in your link) Taking a hack saw to my downspout troubles me. Your link has provided me with some comfort.

8. tanteb & rgrpick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 13 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]285799[/snapback]</div>
    Any recommendations? We are still looking.
    You might also find some information at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ , perhaps under drought.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You mean you're looking for a good quality rain barrel???? If so, I'll look when I get home and let you know what I purchased. Hopefully mine has a manufacture ID on it. I purchased it so long ago I don't remember the brand. Memory serves that it has a bear (the animal) stamped on it. I won't reply 'til Monday as I don't go on the computer at home. Please check back then. Sorry for the inconvenience.

My interest in this has been revived and I'm going to go to my hardware store to ask about replacing the downspout in the event that I'm not pleased with the barrel. That's my main concern. I've heard that you need to us BT dunks in these things to kill mosquito larvae or they can become breeding grounds. I don't use chemicals, pesticides, herbicides so I've checked into BT. I read it's a bacteria that ONLY kills mosquito larvae and harms nothing further. Plus, from my previous research, the barrel should have a screen on it. Your link had mentioned this to deter debris but the screen also prevents mosquitoes from using it to lay eggs. That's all I got!!! :)

10. tanteb & rgrpick

"Please check back then. Sorry for the inconvenience

No inconvenience, I appreciate the help.
    Bt dunks are great, and BT in powder form is helpful for other garden pests.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanteb & rgrpick @ Jul 16 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]287157[/snapback]</div>

http://www.sprucecreekrainsaver.com/

my rain barrel is from spruce creek. the link is above. you can't tell from the picture (and i didn't try this yet) but i believe that you can move the spout downwards. there's a bolt below the spout. it looks like i can unscrew it, move the spout down and then put the bolt where the spout used to be. i didn't look at the website real good to see if they mention it but the barrel comes with a screen where the water will enter the barrel. this is what prevents mosquitoes laying eggs in the barrel.

hope this helps...............

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cool stuff. THx for the link.

13. tanteb & rgrpick

Thanks for the link, they are the nicest looking barrels I've seen so far.
    I found a great site on rain harvesting and another for a downspout diverter that was both subtle in appearance and efficient in that when the barrel was full the water was tripped back down the regular down spout. I'll post those links tomorrow in case anyone is interested.

Once again, SSIMON, thanks.