1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water vapor and foul smelling exhaust

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by acp380, Mar 17, 2017.

1. acp380

acp380 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok..right now my options are a 2010 with 64k for 1500 out the door. A 2013 with 71k for 1500 out the door. Should I spring for the 2013 being it's a few years newer than the 2010? My dad is giving me his truck so we aren't without a vehicle while repairs are being made. Should I give it a little time and maybe something better will come along?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. acp380

acp380 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Picked up my engine yesterday in Houston at a HUUUGGEE warehouse off richey road. So far I'm satisfied with it. No broken pieces from that casting. Looks like some accessories are there including water pump,coils, throttle body. It's fairly clean. All the holes were plugged to prevent contamination except for the throttle body had a little gunk on the butterfly that didn't look car related. If it is defective I have the one from my car. Also the oil had been drained but a little residual was on the end of the dipstick and it looked like fresh new oil.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Back to back posts merged, @acp380, please use multi quote or edit your previous posts when still editable which this one was, they were only posted 3 minutes apart. Thank you.

Be on the lookout for my engine swap thread. I'm not very good at documenting things but I'll do my best. I'd also much appreciate some support.

#43 acp380, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    kc410, Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like quite an adventure! Hope it's successful.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What company was the engine again, and how was the price? Look forward to your report!

6. acp380

acp380 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Company was lkq. Engine was 1500 even. From a 2013 with 71k. This was the newest and lowest mileage engine that was available to me without having to have one shipped and not being able to see it before it left facility. I ordered it on eBay and chose local pickup so I didn't have to pay shipping charges or sales tax.

7. Psl2013

Psl2013 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    where did u find a gen 3 repair manual...who what where when why how???

8. Psl2013

Psl2013 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i am in florida 2013 only 40k at 30k replaced water pump now dealer says need head gasket...if toyota does not honor warranty i will owe dealer $1100 and get my car back in pieces...help anyone thanks!!!!!!!!!

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the generations' repair manuals (and wiring diagrams, and TSBs, and recalls/warranty extensions/service campaigns, and technician training course books....) are on techinfo.toyota.com. They're not even hard to find. It's like the people making the site wanted you to find them.

Some people will subscribe for a short period and print-to-PDF a bunch of manual sections for later reference. That's how you end up with those dead-link PDFs where all the blue "INFO" buttons sprinkled in the instructions don't do anything. When you're in the real manual, of course, the "INFO" button next to each task jumps you straight to the section where all the steps of that task are.

-Chap

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    30 k and you had to replace the engine water pump? Did they tell you what failed on the water pump? Was the car in a front end accident?