1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Watermelons this season are terrible in stores (tiny)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Skoorbmax, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Year started off with a bang. I bought, for $3.99 from Walmart, a watermelon a few weeks ago the size of a bus. Literally as big as a bus, I had to get an 18 wheeler to carry it home.

However, for the last two weeks I've noticed unusually small watermelons not only in walmart, but other local grocers. Has anybody else noticed this in their area? Not sure why they are so small but I refuse to pay even $4 for these pathetic little things, barely bigger than an orange!

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of the melons, in season, I believe are grown in TX, if IIRC. They are probably small due to the drought conditions they've suffered. Then again, I could be mistaken on that information.

I might try to grow them myself next year. I've wanted to put them in the garden for a couple years, but they vine out so much I've held off doing it.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, this is why I don't grow them. I think they are like pumpkins in that to get a decent size one you need about half a million hectares of space. Not really a good crop for somebody with limited garden space. It would be an amazing accomplishment to feast upon my own watermelon, though. My love for watermelon is certifiable. Is it horses or dogs that can eat so much they get torsed intestines and die? If that were possible in humans it would have happened to me with watermelon.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Being a person who just lives by myself, I *like* those bowling-ball-sized watermelons. Don't have to throw 2/3rds of it away like a regular watermelon.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Google watermelon trellis for some ideas on growing watermelons in limited space. We are thinking about giving it a try next year.

6. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't own a prius, just reading about them as I do an extensive survey of what i want to get at some point.... but last month in mid May I bought an exceptionally sweet and tasty and perfectly crunchy watermelon from Costco. Followed by one from trader joes that was a little less good, but decent. Your mileage may vary.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm very picky on watermelon. I like it nice and sweet and juicy. I believe the Sugar Baby variety is my favorite. I may try to do 2 or 3 watermelon plants next year, just to see how they do. I have a decent garden space, but the Oak tree in the middle of it is sort of an obstacle lol. I would grow them at my brothers, since he has 5 acres, but they'd probably die because he doesn't water enough.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm about 2 hours NE from you and we have had some very good watermelons this year too, small but good. I just finished one with lunch.

9. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They're hit and miss. I've had one good and one so-so recently, but I pay a buck for them so I can't complain.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sweet Watermelon Bowls

Ingredients:
    1 small watermelon

Cut watermelon in half.
    Eat with spoon.

Small and sweet is best.