1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waterpump question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wouter73, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Wouter73

Wouter73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks

I am a proud owner of a '07 prius for some weeks now and all is good so far...at leat l think it is. Searching for info on the car l found that bubbles or waves should be seen in the coolant reservoir when the engine is running (as seen on some youtube videos) to prove the pump is working. Today l took a look and saw nothing but a quiet little pond in there, no bubbles or waves or anything. This should mean my pump is not working properly but the car is running fine, no issues and l don't get any warning signs either. How is this possible? I will try to check again tomorrow but l don't expect to see anything else really. Am l running the 'test' correctly? Should the engine be warm when l check? It's currently pretty cold outside here now so l don't know if that's got anything to do with it. Thanks in advance for any tips, appreciate it. (I'll be able to reply in about 8 hours again, bedtime now here in the netherlands ;))

2. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reservoir is just for balancing the thermal change of volume of the cooling fluid.
    I would say while heating up the engine, after the thermostat opens at 84°C the big circuit or maybe with only the small circuit too, fluid expands and should enter the reservoir. You should notice that.
    At constant temperature I wouldn't expect any flow to see. But maybe I'm not right.
    While cooling down the fluid should be sucked back again to engine and radiator.

BTW The cooling pump of the Prius II is driven mechanic by the accessory belt. If the belt isn't slipping/the pulley is rotating, the pump is doing it's job (more or less good).

#2 MickyMatter, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Wouter73 likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter coolant reservoir (mounted to the side of the inverter) should show some fluid turbulence when the Prius is IG-ON or READY, which indicates the inverter coolant pump is operational.

The engine coolant reservoir (behind the radiator) will not show much activity and that is not indicative of the engine coolant pump being operational. The usual failure mode for the engine coolant pump is that the bearing starts to leak coolant and you will see pinkish or whitish stains on the inside of the coolant pump pulley and in advanced cases, those stains will be sprayed on the underside of the hood pad. Or coolant may have deposited on the air conditioner compressor housing. If you see any indication of coolant leaks, replace the engine coolant pump.

Wouter73 and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Prius Chat, good luck with your new Prius.

Wouter73 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes that inverter pump is not working. Pretty common issue. The other poster was confusing it with the engine coolant reservoir so don’t get confused by that. You are on the right track The fluid should look like it’s boiling in there lots of flow activity. The pump is dead.
    In Ameerica about 5 years ago there was a service recall campaign where they would replace it for free even if it was working at the time.
    Anyway it needs to be replaced. Easy way the dealer does it is to get duckbill Pliars that gently clamps off the hoses so very little fluid loss when you remove the hoses to get the pump out that way you don’t have to dump all the coolant. Just unplug the power plug and unbolt it and bolt in the new one.
    Easy way to get to it is to pull the bumper down on thAt side and remove the headlight. It’s wide open then.
    Super super easy to pull the bumper out of the way. One bolt and 4 screws.

The reason the car is not unhappy is it’s cold out and the trans and inverter are not heating up.
    If you took it for a long drive it would get unhappy and throw a lot of dash lights. It needs a new pump
    As soon as you can.

Wouter73 likes this.
  6. Wouter73

Wouter73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 'funny' thing is.. l have taken the car on some long(er) drives and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I'll dive into the matter again and report back here

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! …as has been mentioned upthread, check the underside of the hood directly above the water-pump (passenger side). My 2009 Gen II had the water-pump replaced a while ago by a previous owner, but I did notice a couple of faint lines of a pinkish deposit a while ago (I think it must have been from that occurrence, since they looked rather old and crusty), and I still check to make sure nothing new is happening there!

Wouter73 likes this.
  8. Wouter73

Wouter73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just now l again checked the pump (after a 35 min drive) and when l touched the hoses coming from and to the pump and reservoir l could feel a current going through there. This in combination with the fact that no alarm bells are going off makes me want to believe that everything is actually fine