1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wax on, wax off - equals better fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by thbjr, Dec 13, 2009.

1. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got done waxing our Blue Ribbon Prius II. We all know how much easier the buffing towel glides across a freshly waxed surface versus a non waxed surface. So my question is, will waxing the car improve fuel economy?
    It seems to me that it would. I mean, if a towel slides over the waxed finish easier, wouldn't air flow over it easier also? Less drag = better mileage:confused:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only under the most controlled conditions would you be able to measure something like that and quantify it. It looks better waxed/polished so regardless if it helps fuel efficiency or not, keep it up! :D

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In theory, yes, although given the size of things, it may be miniscule. But hey, a waxed car always looks good.

4. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Playing devil's advocate...wouldn't any difference in coefficient of drag be negated but the extra weight of the wax on the car? Of course none of this would ever be significant ebough to be measured.

5. LinuxGuyInVA

LinuxGuyInVA New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't let this one slip... remember the Mythbusters "golf ball" car test? Just Google "mythbusters golf ball car" to find out the details. Bottom line: mpg for this (gas guzzler) went from 26 to 29 mpg when it was "dimpled".

I have yet to see a Prius that looks like that :)

6. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, if you can believe what you read on the internet,(LOL), start reading here, and if you click the link in the artical 'a tip', here, it takes you to someone that expermented with a before wash and wax and after. The after run was 6% better fuel milage.
    Perhaps there is more than beauty to a good waxing/polishing.

Rreguardless, the White Prius got a wash and wax this afternoon, too.

7. namasteflc

namasteflc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've gotten away from waxing smooth surfaces(like my Prius 2010), i use a marine grade polish with teflon. I do use a coat of wax on the gelcoat of my old boats because their surfaces are no longer smooth. The wax is topped off with a coat of polish to give extra UV protection.

8. Wes Tausend

Wes Tausend Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Wouldn't adding wax to the car make it harder to stop? Like that wax they sometimes put on dance floors?

The dynamic braking would have to carry an additional load. Seems like it could be dangerous in the winter when the road may also be slippery. Maybe OK in the summer, on dry roads.

Just kidding.

Wes

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you consider the dimpled golf balls effect, I'd think that you'd want the front and sides of the vehicle to have a nice and smooth wax to get good laminar air flow where you have high pressure. But once you are near the peak of the roof and beyond and beyond the rear doors I'd think you'd want a rough finish. This would encourage turbulent air flow and help reduce the vacuum created in the car's wake.

In any case the effect would be very small I would think.

(This is all just a guess on my part. However, golf balls are different in the they spin and have no front and back)

3PriusMike

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should watch the Mythbusters episode mentioned earlier. It was pretty neat. :)

Video: Mythbusters Test Golf Ball Theory On Ford Taurus - The Car Connection

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Waxing a small airplane will result in a small increase in cruise speed, so waxing a car should result in a small mileage increase