1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wax

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Potorap, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello Everyone,

Detailing is not my favorite past time. I am looking for recommendations on brand of wax to keep our Pip's looking there best. Thanks in advance.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Simonize is the old standard. It's harder to find these days but it can still be found.
    Carnauba is the new stuff and usually has a price premium, but there are a few brands that are still within reason price wise.
    This is the first link I found when searching carnauba car wax ( I didn't read it all so don't blame me if you don't like the article )
    Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews
    There are also lots of new sprayon and polymers to choose from.
    I use turtle paste for almost everything, but I also have and use spray ons at times.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    NU FINISH LIQUID CAR POLISH has always been a top choice of Consumer Reports. I just bought a new Avalon and I used it. You apply a coat and wait 30 days and apply another coat and it is supposed to last one year. Costs about $10.00.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been using Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 for a few years. Good product, goes on and buffs up easy, ridiculous name. Do it fall and spring, without fail.

5. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bought a container of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid last year. When applied lightly, can be wiped off easily and is very durable.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A little off topic:

Was just looking at my used up last bottle of polish. Not sure how to recycle it; it's almost like a can of paint. Don't really want to wash what's left down the sanitary drain, in an attempt to clean the bottle. Am likely going to have to put in the garbage, destined for a landfill.

Ideas?

(Lot's of stuff like that. Spent cans of anti-seize compound, old WD40 spray cans, all good stuff...)

(Hah: see my car wax bottle has #3 in triangle, which isn't acceptable for recycling in my area, to add insult to injury...)

7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just throw it in the garbage. That's the way I see it.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I did. Still I'm starting to think twice before buying things with recycle "issues", especially when it's not a necessity.... Here's a tip:

Changed your own oil? Carefully drained the bottles of oil? Now they're sitting in the garage, waiting for drop off at an oil recycler?

Before you do: put the funnel back in the oil fill opening, and try pouring the bottles out again: guaranteed another tablespoon of oil has drained down the bottle's walls and become pourable, from each bottle. ;)

9. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll put my vote in for Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Very easy, just spray it on a clean car and wipe it off with a microfiber towel.

10. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For a Daily driver which I assume your PiP is I like Nu-finish. Durable (lasts a long time) and seems to protect well. Will not give as deep of a luster as other waxes but again I assume you pip is not your show car.

11. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Posted this elsewhere in another similar thread today:
    In short, try something other than wax. The new sealants go on easier and last a LOT longer than any wax.

Unless you have some specific fascination with a particular Carnuba's shine, 'best' and 'wax' no longer really go together. Get a good sealant. Prepare the car properly, and the sealing portion (where you apply and buff) will be the easiest part of the job.

I'm a bit outdated in that I use Klasse stuff on my cars, which is a bit harder to apply than some of the new stuff, but works really well and I have a lot of it left so I'm sticking with it. Once the initial application is applied it's amazing how much cleaner the car stays and how easy it is to keep clean for months and months afterwards.

More modern stuff ranges from the 'apply-it-once-forever' stuff like Opti-Coat to CarPro Hydr02 sealant which is just sprayed on once the car is properly cleaned and prepared.

I wouldn't bother with regular wax anymore unless you REALLY like the process of waxing your car.

Prius Five Guy likes this.
  12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes it will. I called my garbage hauler some time ago and asked them if the oil containers are recyclable. They said the containers are but the oil that was in them makes the container not recyclable. The container would have to be cleaned out and I don't know of any way to do that so I just throw them in the garbage.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're talking about motor oil bottles: any oil recycler up here WILL take empties, and (supposedly) does get them to a recycler. I listened to a radio show once, interviewing one recycler: they do some sort of process involving shredding and steaming to separate the oil from the plastic. His plea to consumers, take the time to wring as much out of the bottles as possible. That's where a second pour out, a day or two later, is good.

It's maybe not common knowledge, but up here any of commercial oil change places (or dealerships I would think) will take your used oil, filters (another pain in the @ss to recycle) and bottles. There's a Mr Lube a short trail walk from us. I drain oil into a heavy duty squat container that I reuse. I can hand it to them, they pour it out and give it back, so at least one oily container less to deal with. ;)

14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did not notice you live in Canada, so no doubt they do it different there which I like. Yes, I was referring to motor oil bottles. I live in a Chicago suburb and my hauler said the bottles are recyclable but the residue oil that is in the bottles makes them not recyclable so they have to go in the garbage where I live. There is no problem here getting rid of used oil where you change your own oil. You can take it to any Auto Zone store and they will dispose of it free of charge.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe check with autozone if they'll take bottles ( and filters?).

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'll do that. I like to recycle. Very important. I have always changed my own oil but with the 10,000 mile oil change interval I just may have Toyota do it.

#16 Okinawa, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another vote here for the Original Simonize (see my photo albums for ChuggyPig's spring waxing. Hard work, but well worth the effort!!

18. Prius Five Guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Google "Rejex" Keeps your car shimmering for up to 4 months and truly protects from bugs splats.

19. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks everyone.

20. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    As an added bit of protection, I use 303 aerospace protectant on all the rubber parts and plastic parts that are exposed to UV rays. I don't apply any protectants to interior parts, only exterior parts. The rear windshield wiper assembly is all plastic and subject to deterioration, same goes for the tires. Apply it to a rag, then carefully apply it to the part. I've used it for years on all my cars and trucks. It washes off with soap and water so you've got to re apply it after you wash the car, however unlike products like ArmourAll, it's not crazy slippery, oily or super shiny. It keeps plastic parts looking new for years.

As far as wax goes, Meguairs NXT works fine on a new car finish, but doesn't last long. Mothers, Griots, and a number of other designer waxes all work fine. Don't use a cleaner wax on a new car finish, or anything that says polish.

#20 Camfab, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014