1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Way to Keep Wifi Hotspot Always On?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Evan Livingstone, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Evan Livingstone

Evan Livingstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My 2020 Prius has a wifi hotspot provided by Verizon built in. (I pay Verizon $20 per month.) The hotspot turns off when I turn off the car. Is there a way to leave it turned on all the time, so I can connect a dash cam in parking mode to it and have it send me alerts?

lbligh likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan. Somehow you would have to have the head unit stay on even after turning off the car. That would definitely be a drain on the 12v battery. But, someone here may know how to do this. I don't see how.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NOT a good idea.
    Just the WiFi alone would drain the battery fairly quickly.
    Add the camera and you might not be able to let it sit 2 days without a problem.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As commented, I don't think there is a way to have the WiFi connect to work when the car is off. Or do you just want to have the WiFi connect to be ON whenever you turn the car on? If that is the case, I was sure once WiFi connect is set up, it will be on anytime the car is ON.

Just curious. How many GB does $20/month buy? I had that option on my Prius PRIME LE, but opted out of the service for we have very spotty coverage from Verizon in our region. Interestingly, WiFi connect service is only available to the base trim PRIME LE not for XLE nor Limited with larger 11.6" screen.