1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We have met the enemy and he is us

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Feb 23, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Careless EV drivers can also break the public chargers they need by abusing the J1772 and cable. For example, a new, free, dual, 80A, L2 charger lost one side due to a "diode error."

This is a Tesla class, EVSE. But it had been installed without J1772 holsters to keep them off the ground and out of the rain. They were soon found but now one side now reports, "DIODE ERROR." So I bought the most recent copy of SAE standard, "SURFACE VEHICLE STANDARD J1772™ OCT2017."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    interesting ..... only a couple L2 manufacturers going up to 80A, besides tesla. For the life of me, I can't remember the fellas name down in San Diego that has a very wide variety of EV & mods business ..... but he does other way cool stuff. I bought my Male Tesla plug - to male J plug adapter from him a couple years ago. Anyway, Bob's discussion of holsters reminded me of a way cool thing that "what's his name" does (embarrassing, he's been to our house & we've worked multiple EVents) ;
    HPWCj.jpg
    yea - so he takes the Tesla HPWC apart, & not only converts it to a J plug, but he integrates a plastic machined holster, after removing the Tesla holster. Because some people are just too lazy to wrap it around the outer housing.
    Speaking of resistors, when we had our leaf portable EVSE converted to run 240, 208, as well as 110V .... i quickly found out our 240V inverter/generator wouldn't work with the portable evse. However, throw a couple resistors into the plug, & voila, the EVSE believes it's generator power source is grounded.

EDIT: i remember! the great adapters were courtesy of Tony Williams. (whew! old age)
    Quick Charge Power | Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions

#2 hill, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    bwilson4web and plug-it-in like this.
  3. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I fully agree! The other point is the darn tangled charge cabkes people leave behind after charging.