1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We haven't had a UFO thread in awhile

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Dec 7, 2016.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The New York Times just ran several articles about a UFO encounter with a Navy F18. Radar lock, chase, UFO blinked to another site at at least mach 10.

Many similar events have been described, so the event isn't really big news. The news is that the New York Times covered it. The pilot is quoted as saying

"I have no idea what I saw. It had no plumes, wings or rotors and outran our F-18s."

"I want to fly one."​

Links to the New York Times articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/unidentified-flying-object-navy.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

So the Defense Department and the New York Times are softening on the issue of UFO events involving the military. But the event described was in 2004. They only had to think it over for 13 years before telling the public. I think it's call soak time. If there are no riots in the streets maybe we'll see another report. In due time.

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If we are being visited by life forms from another planet, then they would have to be far superior to us in almost every respect. Their ability to travel vast distances to reach us would indicate they've probably been around much longer than homo sapiens on Earth. If so, then they've managed to transcend all of the petty struggles we're still experiencing on our planet between all of the different nations. This lends credence to their understanding of the negative effects from revealing their presence to us might have, and keeps them from just dropping into plain view.

Otherwise, if they only considered us as parasites on our planet, then they'd probably just move in like a major pest-control team, and wipe us out. This leads me to believe that at least if extraterrestrials do exist, they are probably friendly.

RobH likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the vast emptiness of space, earth is so small and insignificant even in just or own galaxy it would be near impossible to detect from the kind of distances your 'intelligent alien' would have traveled from. Time to wake up and smell the coffee IMHO. :LOL:

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there other life out in the universe?
    Absolutely.

Is there "intelligent" life out in the universe?
    Most probably.

Has the Earth been visited by "alien" life forms?
    Highly unlikely.

RCO likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I missed the speed attribution in all of the open source material.....

Naval Aviators are very prone to both of the activities that usually accompany UFO sightings (alcohol and pranks) but usually not while actually on the job.....phallic skywriting notwithstanding.
    So...it would appear that, in the decade or so since the entire world has equipped themselves with HD mobile cameras, we have a for-real case of something unexplained happening in 02.

I think that the incident is as advertised but I'm a little suspicious of some of the public details in the release, and I'm thinking that this story is more Groom Lake than Spielberg......but that's me being me again.

There can be little doubt that life here is NOT exclusive......probably even intelligent life.
    The potter's hand.....
    However (comma!) in the almost two decades since the entire planet started carrying HD video cameras with them everywhere they go, UFO sightings are getting to be about as scarce as a politically neutral news story.........unless you believe that ETs, like tornadoes, have some strange fascination with trailer parks.

Besides.....unless they're REALLY advanced and don't blow all of their money on social programs.....they're probably sending probes.
    ...little ones!
    If one believes that FTL travel is doable, then the 'thems' who are presumably interested in the crazy little ant pile over this way have probably made corresponding advances in miniaturization.
    Probably camouflage (or active cloaking) as well, and so.......why the hard radar return? If we can make an object 6 times as large as that nearly radar transparent with our rather crude tinkerings, then why not also beings who have taken other active measures to remain undetected?

Sorry.
    I smell some UNrefrigerated marine wildlife.

RCO likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <AHEM>Unwashed frequently, Marines are seldom housed in a reefer.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol....
    I always capitalize those kinda Marines.....

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I already said, the newsworthy part of the New York Times article is that they reported on a UFO event with the cooperation of DOD. The change in attitude is evident from the following press conference by retired Air Force officers:

9. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now think about it. If aliens were actually among us, do you think we'd be stupid enough to make it obvious to the human race.

Oops...

RCO and padroo like this.
  10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    RobH is pretty much boss of this topic here and (I think) he leans towards benign intent by visitors. Yonder Stephen Hawking is not swayed by the benign thing.

For me, an important matter is that 'back-side' of our Moon is nicely set up for 'staging' by any unfriendly visitors. Makes sense for Earth-folk to exert some control there, if only to indicate that we are not entirely weenies.

Science 'fiction' literature has already addressed this.

RCO likes this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hawking-wise, in 2018 we shall look for Virgin Galactic to make their first flight and he'll be aboard unless some trouble arises.

But does that not say it all? Earth humans are still bumbling with chemical rockets, while supposing that all yonder others have better ways. And that they'd use such ways to come here.

They could go anywhere else and yet they come here. What makes Earth so sparkly?

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    RCO likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Earthlings, of course!

Example: PriusChat.

Maybe they're cats?

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps they perceived the laser light show as a friendly space guidance system. :oops:

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Charles Hall tells us about three extraterrestrial races that he knows about. Most of his story is about the Tall Whites and their base in Nevada.

Another race is what Hall calls the Norwegians with 24 teeth. The Norwegians are identical to humans, with the exception that they are genetically coded for 24 teeth. They are integrated into our society, so I guess they're at least as friendly as the rest of us. They apparently traveled from a nearby solar system over a period of 20 years at less than light speed. If you encounter a Nordic looking person who is unusually calm, you might want to check their teeth and ask about their background...

Another race that Hall knows about, but has apparently never actually met, is the Greys. The 1947 Roswell incident involved young "teenagers" out for a joy ride. They happened to wander near the only military base equipped with atomic bombs. Our military was rather touchy about unknown aircraft wandering near the base, and scrambled defensive aircraft. The stories about what happened then diverge between locals, CIA/military, and the Greys themselves. Hall seems to have the Grey's version of the story.

And then there's the Tall Whites with their base at Area 54 inside the Nellis Air Force facility. Their base is built underground in 1950's military style. Their smaller "local" craft could have been built by AirStream, except for the propulsion and space adaptions.

One indication of the level of cooperation between humans and Tall Whites occurred on Christmas Eve of 1965. A deep space Tall White craft was severely damaged by a meteor hit that penetrated the outer hull. Our police evacuated the facility next to a ski slope at Indian Springs. The damaged craft was barely controllable, and used the ski slope as a soft landing area. Hall observed the craft traveling slowly up the valley where he was in a weather observer's shack. He was directed to turn on a light at the shack, which helped to guide the disabled craft toward their base. There were several hundred passengers on the craft including men, women and children.

Hall reports that large craft landings typically occurred on the evening of a full moon. Nothing is mentioned about the moon position for the Christmas Eve landing, but I checked and it was two days before the full moon. Another small detail that he could have gotten wrong, but it checks out. Apparently the gravitational dynamics favor landing on the evening of the full moon, and takeoff at a new moon (two weeks offset).

There was a website for a number of years that described a study of Hall's reports, with the addition of modern satellite topography data. Again, his descriptions match the modern data, although there was no way he could have known at the time without actually being there.

An archive copy of the openseti website is available at Charles Hall and the Tall Whites

With regard to friendliness, the Norwegians with 24 teeth are clearly friendly. The Greys are arrogant bastards, but not out to conquer us. The Tall Whites want a base, supplies, and to be isolated from the human population. In return, they have helped us with some of their knowledge. Specifically excluded from their aid is the location of their home world and the propulsion technology used in their craft. The Tall White guard with the CIA name of "Range Four Harry" found our idea of the speed of light being a speed of travel limit as amusing. When Hall suggested a top speed of 30-40 times the speed of light the answer was more. Without FTL travel, they simply wouldn't be able to go anywhere and back in the several month period between a craft leaving and showing up again.

Dr. Steven Greer warns that there are people in our black ops who want a false flag war with aliens. Fear feeds defense budgets and control freaks. So expect a fear offensive even in the absence of actual dangers. The aliens seem to be treating us like unruly teenagers who can't be allowed car keys until they mature a bit more. We kill each other regularly, and have atomic weapons. Hardly a group they want in their territory. Maybe Elon Musk will be more welcome since I doubt he'll carry bombs to the moon/Mars just to see how the place rings.

#35 RobH, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1) Musk is probably one of them.
    2) Musk suggested a while ago that to warm up Mars we should use nuclear weapons.

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not good. Dr. John Brandenburg believes that a bronze age civilization on Mars was wiped out by two H-bomb explosions about 250 million years ago. The evidence of an explosion is not even controversial - the only place we've found the profile of zenon isotopes is on Mars and at H-bomb sites. The bronze age civilization evidence is obviously more controversial. There are YouTube videos of him presenting his theories, and the book "Death on Mars: The Discovery of a Planetary Nuclear Massacre".

It's a tough universe out there, and some of the natives are not friendly.

18. perryma2

perryma2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where do they fill up with gas?

19. Prius7Prime

Prius7Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great read. Great thread.

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might want to read "UNCONVENTIONAL FLYING OBJECTS a scientific analysis" by Paul Hill. Hill was an aeronautical engineer working at NASA/NACA. He was not allowed to publish the book while employed there (it was off message), but his wife published it after his death in 1991. While NASA didn't exactly share UFO reports with the public, it was apparently a good place to collect them. Hill designed the fuselage for the P-47 fighter-bomber, and later used a wind tunnel to study hypersonic airfoils. His approach to UFOs was that they might provide useful information about aircraft design.

On the issue of propulsion, UFOs have been observed to rock around much as a ship does on the ocean. They obviously have a downward propulsive force, and control their direction of movement by tilting in desired direction. The propulsive force can obviously be modulated, but whatever the force is, it is acting against an unstable, undulating substrate.

On the reality of UFOs:

"I was prevented from making any pronouncements about this application of my work by official National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) policy. That policy was that flying saucers are nonexistent. The NACA Director, Dr. Hugh L. Dryden, made a public pronouncement to that effect at about that time, and I had been instructed by my superior in official channels that my name could not be used in connection with my sighting or in any way that would implicate the NACA with these objects. NACA research officials were all scientists with management training in which the necessity for unambiguous policy had been emphasized."​

So it was/is policy that UFOs do not exist. Not a scientific conclusion, but a management policy. Galileo had similar problems.