1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We just got our 6th Prius -- Wife facing a learning curve.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jerrymildred, Aug 18, 2020.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same problem with the Prime. Mine has two threaded holes covered with plastic caps. They are just behind the seat backs, one on each side. I used one of them to bolt down a D-ring to secure a donut spare with a strap. I never found a D-ring the right size so I made one from a D-ring that used a two-hole flat strap to hold it down. I cut two of those flat straps and welded them face to face with the D-ring secured between them. Not the prettiest, but who's looking?

(edited to fix a couple really dumb typos)
    IMG_0178.jpg

#41 jerrymildred, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    ETC(SS) likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    with spare and AWD-e models share the same height (based on the fact that their cargo volume is identical. I have not seen it in person but just going off the specs).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Jerry, I just checked and my 2020 AWD-e has the tie downs so I just installed the straps that came with my 2016 to tie down a flat in the cargo area (they're just a tad long with the thinner donut).

JeffD

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not in the 2017. The car is 52 combined mpg but I am over 57mpg mainly highway in over 40k miles.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has ANDROID AUTO - this is from TOYOTA's Spec sheet:

upload_2020-8-20_10-34-54.png

krmcg likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe just in Oz?

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I was talking about the 2020 Prius AWD-e for the last two bullets. I edited my post to make this explicit.

JeffD

8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd - you mean that the AWD-e only has APPLE carplay - but the standard PRIUS has both A & A?

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's super early since we've only put about 50 miles or so on it, but I took a look at her average mpg last night since she got it. For some dumb reason I forgot to record the original owner's lifetime mpg before resetting the total mpg. <face-palm!!> This weekend, I'll check the log in the MID to see what I can discover. Anyway, she reset trip A when she got gas and left trip B which has about 2,600 miles on it. Trip B shows 46.6 mpg. Main (since we bought it) is 57.0. Since getting gas, Trip A is about 56 mpg, iirc so that doesn't reflect the 30 mile drive home from Tampa Hybrids, which is what makes the total higher than the tank. Her trips are usually less than 10 miles, so I think it's doing well and so is she for adjusting to such a new experience.

If she was getting close to 50 mpg on her old Gen 2, I can't wait to see how she does with this!! :D

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Since I only looked at the AWD-e, I can't tell you for certain that the standard Prius or the Prime only have Apple Carplay in the US, but I would be surprised if they have Android Auto since Toyota marketing tends to make decisions (however stupid they may be - apple has a 48% market share and android is 51.8% in the US as of late 2019. Worldwide Android has 87% vs 13% for IOS ) for each geographic market.

JeffD

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As a gen 2 and gen 4 owner, it's a HUGE step up between generations; even simple things like moving it around in the driveway without it starting is so much better.

You're not alone. Our daughters white 2018 II is called "Annie"; short for Anikan. She prefers to think this stormtrooper still has a good heart and can be saved! :) BTW, I got the accessory black trim items to lessen all the white look. She also got a StarWars windshield sunscreen to "own the look". ;)

I picked up a used set of the accessory Prius rubber weathermats on ebay and they work and fit well. For the price, I could have purchased new aftermarket heavy duty mats (what I usually do) but these definitely fit better since they were designed for the car. (y)

Enjoy the new car!

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I mentioned that capability to her yesterday and she was surprised to find it out. The I was able to talk her through doing it when we went out to change her settings to enable the split view of the speedometer with the instantaneous mpg meter.

That's funny, right there! :ROFLMAO: I need to look for a small storm trooper sticker for the lower rear glass or something. (y) Edit to add that I see lots of them on Amazon.

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I first got the car new I drove 150 highway miles home to 57 mpg too. I have the cooler winters but you have the blistering heat.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Ty D

Ty D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let me know how well it works. I was contemplating getting on for my 2018 Prius Four.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is because the Prius and Prime are different cars. The Prime did not even exist in 2016. I am sure the Corolla Hybrid has some parts that are close to fitting the Prime too.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, but I won't get the chance. I bought one for her Gen 2 a while back that was supposedly the Heatshield brand and supposedly custom made for the Gen 2. It was about six inches too tall for her windshield. Not even close. Looked like a perfect fit for a Gen 3 but that was after I traded it for the Prime. I said as much to the vendor, but the vendor insisted it was perfect for the G2 despite the fact that it extended beyond the folded up visors and would not go under the mirror.

Sooooo .... My wife is a wiz with a sewing machine. She simply made it fit. And it turns out to be a near perfect fit for her new car as well. As I said, she's very frugal. She does NOT want me to buy her another one. I'll try to remember to take a picture this weekend.

#56 jerrymildred, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    krmcg and farmecologist like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PS. Todd just told me he already sold the old 2007. A long-time customer who wanted something inexpensive but reliable bought it. That's pretty cool. Now I just hope something doesn't happen!! :eek:

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only difference should be with or without TSS-P - the extra camera will take up room at the top of the windshield.

I have Heatshields for Gen 2, 3, and 4 (which then I transferred to the Prime) and they all fit perfectly. The Gen 3 was the odd ball with the "flaps" for the front quarter windows - didn't really work so that's probably why they removed it when designing the Gen 4 ones (well that and there are no longer front quarter windows that are separate from the door.

jerrymildred and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wife is still loving her "new" Prius. She thanked me for it again yesterday.

As to gas mileage, I haven't checked how it's going lately but here's a little comparison against my Prime.
    • Driving home Sunday night from friends 20 miles away in the Prius.
      • New Yokohama Avid tires (forgot the specific model)
      • 8 mph tail wind most of the way.
      • Mostly 45 mph speed limits with slower near the start and end.
    IMG_2305 copy.jpg

• Driving home last night from another friend's house a few doors away from Sunday in the Prime in HV mode all the way.
      • Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires with about 20,000 miles on them.
      • 3 mph crossing tail wind most of the way.
      • Same speeds as Sunday.
    IMG_2311 copy.jpg

Prime wins, but the Prius did very well. New tires on the Prius might have had some effect, but being different models, I'm not sure which tires roll easier. The wind gave the Prius a little more help than the Prime.

The two cars behaved very differently with the Prius only stopping the ICE at 50 mph when I eased off the accelerator pedal. The Prime at 50 mph would use the ICE to bring the battery up to its starting SOC and then run in EV till it drained off about 3-4% of the charge. Then charge it back up. It went about one or two miles in each mode. Average mpg would go up when the ICE was off and down when it was on, but each time it reached a higher point when the ICE kicked in. Looked a little like a stock market chart lately. The Prius started out with very low mpg (as did the Prime, of course) but it just gradually climbed all the way home. Prime started out low, but was up to over 60 mpg within about 3-4 miles.

20. JanSD

JanSD New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you get 60? Ours came with no manuals which would probably help the learning curve as we have never had a Hybrid before. We can't seem to get to 50mpg. I really want to get paper manuals but can't find any that aren't over $100 I'm looking for the owners manual and the nav manual. Any advice?

#60 JanSD, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021