1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We like sheep... on the ECO Dashboard

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Old Bear, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, the intelligent drive coach.

First, if you're in traffic, it's very difficult to be as efficient as "it" wants you to be without making people trying to get places angry. This is mostly on the start and stop sections. When I'm in traffic, I "first" drive to be safe, then as conditions allow, I play the ECO score game. I can assure you that if you do try to follow it your driving will get more efficient even when you are not trying.

It's all about training your foot control. it does not reward a sloppy or itchy foot. If you can practice in a low traffic area, it will be easier when there is traffic. Try to always keep your green bar to the left of the blue recommendation bar. I've found that on the start part, you actually can exceed it "a little" for 5 - 8 seconds as long as you go back below before the score sets in. Once the start score is displayed, you cannot change it until you stop. It's better not to go past the blue bar, but staying too far below it is also not conducive to a high score.

benagi and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That Intelligent Drive Coach is a PITA!! Out here, it could get you killed, and certainly flipped off, if you try to follow it! It's best used at 4:00am, on a Sunday morning, on some deserted back street! Good luck finding one of those out here!! Stay off the freeway and just drive smoothly is what I do to try to reach the low 80's, and not tick people off!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

3. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One of the unfortunate things about living in an urban area where you're constantly having to accelerate with traffic when the light turns green (or having to deal with the flow of traffic on a busy freeway) is that you're frequently having to push the Prime beyond its Eco-optimal range. I think that's just the difference between urban areas and those blessed with travel limited to country roads.

I'd be curious to know how our European friends deal with their cities' traffic. My experiences in London, Paris, Barcelona and even Geneva were that urban drivers accelerate and brake harder than most Americans. This has got to affect fuel economy and range.

Mark57 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  4. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi ho, hey Who? is number 1 on the Eco Ranking for the Eco Dashboard!! Ya "gotta" love it!

AChoiredTaste.com
    That stupid "auto editor" won't let me say, "gotta"!!! Censorship!!!
    "Gottta", "Gowta", testing, tasting!!!

#544 HPrimeAdvanced, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    benagi likes this.
  5. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If I wanna be illiterate, then damn it, let me be illiteral! I ain't got no learnin', and I aim to show the world that I am so unencumbered!! Politics proves (especially these days) that you can be really stupid and reach the top!!
    Give me the right to let my ignorance shine, like that of the aforementioned fools.

AChoiredTaste.com

6. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    10 days into the month and I finally have my first sheep and orange blooms! Doing a 150+ mile drive on 2-2-18 takes awhile to overcome☹️

Mark57, benagi and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am giving up on Feb like I had to do with Jan. Got a 200 mile trip on Monday and I have already used gas twice this month. 0 degrees here this morning. This winter sucks. (But I have seen two robins, geese flying north, and there was a lady bug in my kitchen...all signs this is about to be over...no matter what that big rat said the other day.)

HPrimeAdvanced and KRB17 like this.
  8. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I deal with daily. I'm able to vary my travel time and choose routes that avoid the grid lock freeways. The routes are all 4 or more lane local, jam packed, residential/small business type 1 mile long sections (all urban, no farm fields here). Every stop light becomes a drag strip to the next and the traffic wits until the last second to stop. The acceleration and deceleration is a 2/3rds of the score killer. I try to be at the back of the pack but if you're not careful the pack behind you catches up and you're in front again.

You'd think that taking small county roads if available would be better, but they just invite people to coast through stop signs and heaven forbid you come to a complete stop to reset your score. They drive those roads very fast as well, so they are actually worse.

With our 20 year long house building boom, I've got to drive 20 miles just to find a farm field now. They've all turned to housing editions.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow! I never imagined that Oklahoma City would become as bad as larger urban areas but I guess 1.3-million people puts it in the same league as Providence and Hartford -- neither one of which is much fun during commute hours.

Someone in PriusChat suggested putting the Prime into "B" mode rather than "D" when in dense stop-and-go traffic. I tried it and it's quite nice. The experience is similar to "single pedal driving" although it will not bring the Prime to a full stop without using the brake. I'm not sure what effect it has on mileage.

10. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When we built our current house in 2004, we were literally on the edge of town. The edition used to be a farm operation. Now, 2018, we're more mid-town than out of town. We built in a housing building boom and it's never slowed down here. We used to have a full section wheat field 1 mile away and now it's 100% houses. Most of these are ~3,000 sq ft, nice lot size homes built @ $95 per sq ft, land included. No wonder why people are flocking in from both coasts to build. Now I have to go 20 miles to see a cow.:p It's changed a lot. I've driven a lot of miles in DC, Boston (big dig days), Nor/So Cal, Dallas and Houston traffic and no, we are not there yet, but it's more of a pain than it was.

11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Statistically, last month was awful. This month has been much better. Eleven days in and I'm ranked 5th on ECO with 99/100 and in a surprising 10th place on mpg/mile with 372.99 miles @999.9 for the month. Trust me, it's very hard to be rated high on "both" of those lists. I only have L1 charging at home or I could do better.
    Screenshot_20180211-133413.png Screenshot_20180211-133331.png Screenshot_20180211-133400.png Screenshot_20180211-133423.png Screenshot_20180211-133443.png

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. Mark57,
    Your high scores in both categories are great, especially considering that you're doing it with only L1 charging at home. I'm cheating with L2 charging at home, so I can charge 2 or 3 times during the day, in addition to overnight charging! I give up on getting a high Eco score, my best being 87, due to peasant dodging!
    I'm now having fun with several aliases, including A Choired Taste, Who?, and currently, Le Prime Snail !! If you change your "Nickname", it doesn't update on the list until your next drive. Perhaps I should get a life?!

AChoiredTaste.com

benagi likes this.
  13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Due to a weekly trip, I had to burn gas Tuesday so I'm below the 999.99 mpg list for the month. It's a weekly thing so there's no getting around it. It's been cold here but today it's going to be a record 85° and then back to 39° tomorrow. I'd get out and drive in the warmth, but yesterday, I pulled "all" of the muscles in my crotch area (hip adductor muscles) and I can't even lift my feet into the car much less use the brake or gas pedal. Yes, it hurt like I can't describe. I'm down.

14. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. Mark57,
    I guess that might be one of the few days where I would consider using a self-driving car!! Take care, you poor SOB, yowwww!

AChoiredTaste.com

Mark57 likes this.
  15. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    That app needs two filters that remove some of those low mileage 199 mpger's.
    Every new car driven off the lot starts in that category !

Kick out those that have driven under a 1,000 - I'd like to see where I stand then.
    And kick out those that have drive less than 10,000. - Lets see who the real users stand.

benagi, albus and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  16. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The doctors said I ran my last marathon. I guess I can stop training for Tokyo 2020.:(

17. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey run those 26 miles on EV in your Prime; you'll finish the race feeling so much better, especially after beating the pants off all those poor saps running!!

AChoiredTaste.com

pilotgrrl likes this.
  18. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I get out of the hospital, I'll consider it.

19. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Best of luck to you!! My last serious physical endeavor, playing with other soccer dads in a macho exhibit, blessed me with a cracked tibia! I've since gone back to the relative safety of cars!
    You do pay a long time for that physical crap.

AChoiredTaste.com

walterm and Mark57 like this.
  20. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can remember saying I was glad when Jan was over so I could get my sheep back. Feb has been just as bad. March has got to be better.