1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We may fly out of state to get our cars this weekend !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pola, May 14, 2007.

1. pola

pola New Member

Don't want to jinx it by saying too much before we have possession of our cars,
    but I found the colors we want (Silver and Driftwood) in another state. (sorry silver pine mica's, i changed my mind)
    We may fly there this weekend and bring them back.
    They have the silver package 5 (non-touring) at the right price, and they have a driftwood package 6 (non-touring)...
    she offerred the package 6 to me for only 1,000. more than Jim's, and I know you may think I am crazy, but I am not sure I want package 6, since I did not think I wanted leather.
    However, 1,000. more is really good, right ?
    It is a light color leather.... I can put covers on it if I am concerned..
    I don't keep my cars extra clean inside, transporting art materials, canvases, rescuing dogs carrying plants, etc..
    1,000. dollars is 1,000 dollars, so she is looking this week (before we come out) to see if she can get the package 5 for me, by possibly swapping cars wtih another dealer... we'll see.
    In the meantime, tomorrow we are putting our deposits down on both cars she has, to reserve them. that way, if she can't find the package 5 for me, I will take the package 6.
    i know some of you like the factory leather in the package 6..
    She heard our story, and she had these cars, so she matched the Costco price I found elsewhere.
    So we are pretty excited right now.
    Will keep you posted.
    Thanks for all your help. I could never have gotten this far without you !!!
    best,

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Leather or no leather, you're going to enjoy your ride back.

Is this factory leather? That means a leather steering wheel. If not, you can do wheelskinz.

I like the cloth myself. It cleans up really nice. I had leather in my last car and burned my legs in the summer and it was cold in the winter. I don't miss it, only the leather on the wheel.

My next Prii I will have an auto place put in leather armrests and console cover. That's it.

3. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on your forthcoming vehicles....you'll find the Prius to be a great car, as I am enjoying mine, especially with gas prices hitting $3.39 here in MI.

My seats are cloth too....leather isn't that much of a big deal to me, as like Godiva said, in summer heat it tends to burn the skin if you're not wearing long pants and in winter (least here in MI) can really freeze ur butt off lol.

I'm moving back to Houston next month though so no more bitter cold temps for me! :D

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ May 15 2007, 03:24 AM) [snapback]442262[/snapback]</div>
    Overal the LEATHER interiors "look" much better than CLOTH (and the leather steering wheel feels nice) but I am in 100% agreement with "Godiva" and "Hopeful Future Prius Owner" that in the SUMMER and we both know in places like Florida (where I live) and Texas (where you live, Pola) that summers are LONG AND HOT, you will actually "burn" your legs if you quickly get into a "closed", hot vehicle and sit on the leather with shorts on and your bare skin comes in contact (even your arms) with it. Also the dark (gray) leather will "pull in" more heat. I personally like the dark gray cloth interior and I think the bisque is just too light (leather or cloth) to keep "clean" without losing your sanity, as well as just not "looking correct" against the black plastic dash and upper interior door pieces (just MY opinion) !!
    Pola, you mentioned two color choices (I see you have abandoned the Silver Pine Mica :( ) with one being Silver which almost 99% of the time MUST have a GRAY interior to look "correct" and then you said you also liked Driftwood, which might not look that well in GRAY interior ?? We had an '03 Acura MDX in that same color (Driftwood, just a different name) and the medium brown (leather) interior complimented the exterior color very well.... but that was a lot darker and much more "tannish" than the Toyota Bisque (Ivory in my opinion). That MDX was the LAST "leather seated" vehicle we ever had and that is were we would burn our legs and arms on the hot leather surfaces. Our present second (mine) vehicle (Wife will take Prius) is a "Mojave" Honda CR-V, again almost the same exterior as Driftwood, but that has a CLOTH interior and that too is a "medium brown/tan" color and many shades "darker" than the Toyota BISQUE !!
    My "guess" (just a guess....) YOU will end up buying the Silver Prius w/GRAY cloth Interior !! ;) Whatever you get, enjoy it and great luck !!

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Enjoy the ride!! and don't forget to look at the road from time to time (and not the MFD)!! :lol: :lol:

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 14 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]442198[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, Godiva,
    Yes, it's factory leather... I wanted cloth, but we are in urgent need of cars, the salespeople there have no time to look for cloth today, since they are in meetingsi all day, and Jim's car is giving him major problems, so we have to leave tomorrow AM and I am going to take the leather. I will just put seat covers on it, it is the lighter color...either fitted covers, or unfitted..... My Volvo has leather and it was very hot in summer.
    Thanks for writing,
    take care,

8. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ May 15 2007, 07:22 AM) [snapback]442345[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Richard, this was so helpful.. i just printed it out and we will take it with us tomorrow.
    all the best,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ May 15 2007, 04:41 AM) [snapback]442292[/snapback]</div>
    Rangerdavid, What is the MFD ? Is that the MPG reading ?
    funny, we'll try to notice the scenery !
    thanks and take care,

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) GOOD NEWS, pola & pal...

Ya'know, Dallas is fully as HOT as San Antonio, and we are enjoying our Package 6 leather, and all the other 'toys' included. I particularly wanted factory leather for two reasons... the leather-wrapped steering wheel being included and the absence of the so-called "Liquicell Comfort" thin pads installed under the port-installed leather. It's not my habit to wear shorts all summer so the underside of my thighs bare on leather is not an issue with me or my wife.

I'm not familiar with San Antonio dealers, but the Dallas-area dealers are happy to have your service business regardless of where you bought your car. You may want to consider re-alignment if you're not happy with the highway handling on your drive back home. You are entitled to no-cost 'adjustments' in the beginning which could include re-alignment.

The only comments in the Owner's Manual regarding 'break-in' are found on Page 318: "Break-in period. Drive gently and avoid high speeds. Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:
    • Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
    • Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
    • Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles)."

This is a word-for-word quote since you don't het have your Owner's Manual. Don't get too excited about the first tanks' MPG, it takes awhile for your new Prius to limber up. Some owners report gains in fuel economy for as much at 7,000 - 8,000 miles.

What a treat for you.... ENJOY :) :)

P.S. MFD means Multi-Function Display - the computer-like screen in the center of the dash which displays much of the information and provides the NAVigation map and access to the Prius climate control, radio & CD players, etc. It is a "touch screen" upon which you actually 'press' virtual 'buttons' to accomplish tasks.

10. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ May 15 2007, 04:41 AM) [snapback]442292[/snapback]</div>
    Rangerdavid, What is the MFD ? Is that the MPG reading ?
    you are funny, we'll try to notice the scenery !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 15 2007, 04:34 AM) [snapback]442291[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, FlaWen,
    Well, it looks like Jim will get the sliver with dark grey cloth, and I will get the driftwood with bisque (light) leather... this is our only option now, since we have to get up there tomorrow and she does not have time to locate another one.. plus the pckg. 6 was a really great deal, since we were buying two.
    thanks for your support, will keep you posted... now to know how to drive the cars will be the trick... i'm trying to find an online owner's manual here.
    take care,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 15 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]442457[/snapback]</div>
    P.S. sorry about the silver mica pine... i started to feel i liked the driftwood better... plus it is not such an attention getter as the green one... i don't want to draw attention to myself in a state where gas guzzlers rule, and when they are drunk, you never know.... ha ha... yesterday i saw TONS of Priuses all over my town ... this is amazing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 15 2007, 04:34 AM) [snapback]442291[/snapback]</div>
    See my response below... thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ May 15 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]442262[/snapback]</div>
    THANKS, getting excited now... hope the trip back will be uneventful and safe for the cars (and us of course) lol.
    looks like i am 'settling' for leather, just to get the cars tomorrow.
    most would laugh that i am settling for leather, but i agree with all your points.
    oh well, if being burned by leather seats is my worst complaint, i'm doing O.K., right ?
    i will cover then in the summers for sure.
    best,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 14 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]442198[/snapback]</div>

yes, factory leather...
    thanks for the well wishes, will keep you posted !
    i agree with you on the leather, but i had no choice and the price was right.
    take care,

11. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 15 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]442457[/snapback]</div>
    I would say the advice that "Charles Suitt" (a few posts above) gave you:
    "Break-in period. Drive gently and avoid high speeds. Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:
    • Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
    • Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
    • Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles)."

.... is probably something both you and YOUR HUSBAND should adhere to on the drive HOME !!
    DON'T "race it" or quicky accelerate, as stated !! And be "easy" on the brakes as the friction material (linings & pads) get bedded-in to the rotors and drums, as well as the drums & rotors NOT getting overheated !!
    The Silver w/dark gray will look great and so will the Driftwood with Bisque. Driftwood with gray might not be such a great combo, just as Silver with bisque, although many like those combos ??
    The Bisque LEATHER (in MY opinion) will NOT "absorb" the sun's rays like the darker Dark Gray Leather would. You mentioned seat covers for the light bisque....... a great idea as long as they fit correctly and don't "bunch up" under your seating area (if you know what I mean) !!
    Have a fun and safe trip............. Good luck and my God Bless !! :)

12. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 15 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]442429[/snapback]</div>
    THANKS, Charles, so much for your well-wishes, and also for the VERY helpful info.
    I'm glad you like your leather in Dallas... will try to cover the seats in the summer and keep blankets in the back if i rescue any dogs... may get some cheap covers to use when I need them.. we'll see, but all in all, i got a great deal on this package, so i think i will be glad i did. THANKS so much for the breaking in tips, will print out and give to Jim. HE will appreciate it too.
    Sorry i forgot how to post again... i should not have hit the reply button after reading a post to me, ..instead i should just respond below the post, like I just did here.
    Hope I will remember from now on.
    Thanks again for all your help these past few weeks.
    this board is GREAT.
    all the best,

13. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 15 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]442429[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Charles,
    See my reply to you below,.....
    If we drive between 65-75 mph to get home, will that satisfy the 'vary the speed' requirement of the break in period ? And is that speed too fast ? THANKS again,
    pola

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) pola...

You didn't say where you are purchasing, or how long the drive will be. My opinion... Interstate speeds (65-75 MPH) should be OK. I suppose you and 'yours' will be stopping on the way for meals, rest stops, etc. - a breather for youall AND your new Prius. A neat thing about the Prius is that at Interstate speeds, the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine - read 'gasoline engine') will not be producing power continuously, but will be turning without consuming fuel to keep the engine parts lubricated and to produce power on demand when needed. At those speeds when you need to pass other traffic, the electric motor kicks in to provide extra power. The operations are smooth and you can say "Farewell" to shifting as in ordinary automatic transmission. The Prius power transfer does not, in fact CANNOT, shift gears... smooth and silky.

CIAO... Charles

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MFD = Multi Function Display (the screen in the dash)

It's a good idea to force yourselves to sit in the car on the dealer's lot for a half-hour or so to read the how-to-drive parts of the owner's manual. Save the nav and stereo parts for later.

16. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 15 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]442590[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Charles, thanks again so much, we'll be driving to another state... Jim won't let me say where (yet)... this is very interesting,...i am sending it to Jim. yes, we are turning this into a little vacation and returning on Sunday. My car unexpectedly was SOLD, so we will only be bringing his back... they can get another one for me within 6 weeks (she said)... so it's not such a bad thing to wait since it won't be so stressful and we can drive back together.. NOW, i have to decide on leather, package 6, or package 5... I rescue dogs from time to time, carry art supplies, and plants, so I need something easy to clean.
    I'm really torn now.. I may just get the package 5, since I would probably cover the leather anyway... not sure yet. perhaps i'll have the chance to see both tomorrow.
    thanks again,
    best,
    pola

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ May 15 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]442607[/snapback]</div>

GREAT advice, Richard, will pass this on.
    take care,

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pola, if you can find a large cardboard box use the deck mat as a template and cut the box to fit. This will save the carpet from getting chewed up. I would also recommend the rear bumper applique. This is a plastic piece that covers the top of the rear bumper. Best of luck with the new car.

18. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :( pola - did you get back home yet, with your new Prius ?? Was it a pleasant dealer transaction and did you (and hubby) enjoy the ride back home ??