1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak aux battery and purchase decision

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grizzy317, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Grizzy317

Grizzy317 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, apologies if this is a repeat - I have to make a decision soon. I am looking at two 2014 prius 2, one with 41k miles, one with 47k. Same price. The first had a clean inspection on 1/8/16; today (1/24) I paid for a prepurchase and the service guys said the aux battery was weak and needed replacement soon, ~$300. I asked the seller if he would pay it, he said no.

I've not done a prepurchase on the other (47k) car. What is the likelihood it would have the same problem? Or another? I need a car soon and don't want to chase unicorns. If this is as good as it gets, I'll go for it just to have it done -or the service department may be trying to take me for a ride. Very new to this hybrid world. Thanks in advance!

2. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd say demand is poor for hybrids and EV vehicles at the moment. No one is buying them unless they are a good deal.

I say it is a buyer's market and it will continue to be so long a gas is priced low. The lower gas gets, the lower these hybrids will go. You as the buyer will have many cars to choose from.

This why you can find 2015 Brand new prius' for $18,xxx from the dealer.

Btw, you can buy an optima battery (yellow) for about $150 and install the batter yourself.

The seller is dumb for not paying the $300. He is going to have a hard time selling after you decline and you will see the seller edit is ad and lowering his price by more than $300 is about 2 weeks.

Also, 2014 with such high mileage screems taxi/Uber/lyft, abused cars.

iPhone ?

#2 sillylilwabbit, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Grizzy317 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! aux battery is nothing, they might even be wrong. i would buy it. all the best!(y)

Grizzy317 likes this.
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you are in a hurry, I would keep looking. Both of those cars are high mileage vehicles. Either driven commercially or part of a fleet. Either way if you look around you should be able to find something comparable with less mileage.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat"

Grizzy317 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, they could be over 2 years old, so possibly a little high, but strange that they are from different sellers.

Grizzy317 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The aux battery can be charged up, it's only a couple years old

Grizzy317 likes this.
  7. Grizzy317

Grizzy317 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tips, guys! Both were part of fleets, hence the high mileage, and I bid them down to the same price. I agree that he's silly not to pay for the new battery, but also that it should be cheaper. I'll ask him in the morning. I'd hate to be penny wise and pound foolish but I want a clean car, for goodness sake.

I'm in a bit of a bind as I lost my last car in an accident three weeks ago. Thanks, drunk drivers! Anyway, it was OLD but super low mileage and in great condition. I've been trying to hit the sweet spot in new enough to not need crap like this done yet still affordable. There is a drop off in price with 2012 and 2013, but not much. Hence why I was looking at 2014. Both are accident free and in great shape otherwise (as far as I know).

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great tips!

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Batteries go -- and the Prius has a very small 12v battery. I would not make a determination on the car based on the battery. We forgot the dome light being on in our 2011 a couple of weeks ago - overnight -- completely dead. The car has 130k on it .... we jumped it and all was fine. Figuring the 4 year old battery was toast, I priced out a new one -- using a discount code you can get one from Pep Boys for under $150.00. The optima was well over $200.00 FYI. It's an odd size so overpriced.

If the price is adjusted correctly nothing wrong with 47k -- I'm trying to think what they could have done to a Prius in 47k. It's not a Porsche. Who is selling it?

Michael Wood likes this.
  9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius is a 2012 IV Prius and I drive 25k miles a year, so 47k miles is still pretty good on the low side if you're just using it to commute. I use mine as a work horse car and recently I just replaced my car battery after leaving the dome light on. I tried to recharge the battery but those aux battery only last 3-4 years at best. My Aux battery cost 192.96$ including tax. So him saying 300$ might be the OEM battery, but after market battery works the same. Good luck on your purchase, I get 556 miles for a full tank of gas, which cost 23$ or so at 2.51$ per gallon.

10. Grizzy317

Grizzy317 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your response! 41k car is a wholesale dealer, 47k is a regular one. The price is about as good as I can find for that model year. Both were rentals/leases. It seems early for a battery to go, even with the mileage.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you want to drop somewhere around $40~50, there are consumer level testers you can hook up directly to the battery posts, see where you stand. Google Solar BA5 for example.

Michael Wood likes this.