1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak FM radio reception in 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Milo'sPrius, Sep 30, 2009.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, the big question is what to do - if your in a fringe area, yet everything used to work - but now with the 2010 it doesn't.......

I tried an antenna amplifier - just amp'd the noise.

I was thinking about a band expander FM Band expander / Japanese Auto Radio FM Converter:eBay Motors (item 250516853550 end time Oct-26-09 12:33:54 PDT) , but it seems to move the native Japanese radio (like 77-90Mz) to 90-107Mhz - this would be more on the assumption that Toyota is shipping one antenna to the world - and did a decent design for Japan, but not for the rest of us...

As we aren't RF engineers, maybe it's time to start bugging Toyota for a fix - as this is clearly a deficiency in design. Unfortunately, I'm now running a new radio/GPS, so they aren't going to listen to me (unless I put the old radio back in)...

2. BlizzardP

BlizzardP New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to throw my .02 in. I got my car last Monday. Lousy FM reception. XM has a little static too. CD's and IPod have zero static so I know it's not the radio or the speakers....

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Guys, if you have bad FM reception write to Toyota about it!

I wrote them about 2 weeks ago and got the following answer:
    "We deeply regret that you are not fully satisfied with the quality of the broadcasting system of your Toyota Prius. Although we constantly monitor the high quality standards concerning all our products, we have not received continuous customer criticism in regards of your complaint.
    We assume that a locally restricted jamming of the selected broadcasting station is responsible for the poor FM reception. Unfortunately, we have no influence on that occurrence to any degree.

More information about various frequency settings for your broadcasting system is available in the operating instructions of your Toyota Prius.
    You may also consult a Toyota retailer in your vicinity, who will willingly assist you to find a solution."

and then:

"At any rate, we redirect the contents of your e-mail to our marketing
    compartment. Our associates always strive to advance the quality of our products and will surely take notice of your suggestions. We want to assure you that we appreciate constructive criticism because it helps to find solutions in favour of our customers' demands."

I am not surprised of the answer (I don't blame them). And at least they answered!
    So there is some hope that it will be fixed if you ALL write to Toyota!!!!

Today for the first time I had my Prius washed and took away the antenna and then tried to drive a few km without it, it was *way* worse; so the antenna, though "small", but not any smaller than other antennas I am seeing on other modern cars, is still doing something. :)

Certainly the reception of the Prius is worse than the VW Polo+Pioneer radio I used to have before - way worse (it is so annoying to hear static ever so often and moving from stereo to mono reception, that I stopped listening to the radio on my way to work - it is the same station on the same road every day and on the Prius there is clearly more static and noise than on the Polo, again doing the same road, at the same time on the same station.

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Regarding coverage: since I am driving on the same road, at the same time of day, at the same speed in the same traffic, I get the same "coverage", for the same radio station. I know the station is transmitting OK because at home I hear no difference since 3 months. Therefore, if with my older car radio I was hearing everything alright, and on the Prius I hear static most of the time, even when standing, there is simply something wrong.
    Again - please write Toyota about it!!!!! otherwise it will never be fixed. *never* - it is so hard for us drivers to prove without doubt that the reception is bad/worse, that only if many owners complain that we might get a fix/improvement from Toyota.

I have stopped listening to the radio altogether, as it is *so* annoying. I would listen to the radio all the time on my way to work before. Now it is simply a "no-go". Such a great car, such a lousy FM reception - why??? why???
    On the other hand, CD and Mp3 reproduction is excellent, great bass and super clear high tones (considering also that it is a standard radio setup, not a custom one).

5. PavelKubes

PavelKubes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I also have poor FM reception in my UK spec T3 Prius, particurly on Radio 4. I took it to my local dealer today who were unable to improve it. I have tried the aerial from the Gen II Prius, which is longer but fits the same mounting, but it was no different. The dealer checked the earth and aerial connections etc, rang Toyota support etc but nobody had any ideas. He asked me to ring Toyota myself and complain, so I will. The reception is much worse than my Gen II, and suffers what used to be called "aircraft flutter" when driving. I think this is multi-path reception. Does anyone know if the tuners are the same in the Gen II and Gen III?
    Regards
    Pavel

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Join the club - now international :rolleyes: Sadly, I doubt much will be done - as it seems to be a design issue - and there is a decent likely-hood that it stems from loss in the long coax extension... Replacing that would be a huge effort, as would getting at the antenna back (under the roof). An easy test would be to run an aftermarket decent antenna - of course, this will only show that it is not the radio..... I know it isn't the radio, because I had the issue with stock, and aftermarket...

7. PavelKubes

PavelKubes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you fitted a replacement tuner?
    How did you do that?
    Got any photos?
    Pavel

8. PavelKubes

PavelKubes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry just found your post on replacing the tuner with a GPS head end.
    Was the FM reception just as bad with the new tuner?
    Did you try fitting a new aerial, maybe just holding it out the door?
    Pavel

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The new tuner is slightly worse than the old (stock FM gen II) - so I can't complain to Toyota - but worse than bad means I'm starting at bad.............. I am putting the old back in tomorrow, and taking it directly to the dealer. I have tried an antenna amp, and that is as far as I'm going. An RF engineer would say most of this is a shot in the dark - there *is* a design issue. Does Toyota think it is one? I'll take my stock 2010 in, and not hold my breath.

I believe it has been shown that (implied - we all know) that in weak signal areas, the FM (not AM) performance is not good (or even close) to {insert name/make of car here).

An antenna must be matched to the coax/connector/radio - so a 2009 is at least a close shot in the dark (proven wrong). I believe (since my stock and aftermarket performed poorly) that there is a REAL issue with the signal being carried from antenna to radio.

As I *am* a FM listener - it does bug me............................

10. astro_dad

astro_dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in the LA area and normally get great reception. Just got a 2010 Prius IV and it's got a lot of static that my old car didn't have. Sucks!

11. LakePrius

LakePrius Special member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Add me to the list of those very disappointed with the quality of the radio - both AM and FM - in the Gen III

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Astro_dad - please report this to Toyota - all those having this FM reception issue should report to Toyota, otherwise it will *never* be addressed and fixed and will always be told that we are in a "bad reception" area - we are not, the FM reception is simply *BAD*.

13. Faber

Faber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I own both a 2008 Prius Touring, Pkg 6, as well as a new 2010 Prius II so I am able to do an accurate comparison of the fm radio reception. The 2010 Prius fm reception is definitely inferior to my 2008. I have also checked the fm reception in two of my neghbor's 2010 Prius (IV and V) and the fm reception is equally poor. This is so disappointing! There is no excuse for this. Either Toyota missed the mark on this issue, or they are simply cutting corners and dropping the quality of their cars. In many ways the 2010 is a much better vehicle, i.e., the seats, the handleing, etc. However, my 2008 Prius with Package 6 seems to be a better quality-built vehicle, especially when it comes to all the rattles in my 2010!

Joseph

14. dogllama

dogllama New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live and commute in Los Angeles and would not consider myself in a fringe area. On my last car (a 94 camry) I accidently broke off the antenna while going through a carwash with the radio on... :eek:

I literally stuffed it back into the antenna hole, and although my reception was damaged it was way better than what I am now getting with my 2010 Prius. I was hoping to get just get a bigger antenna, but I guess that doesn't help... hope they fix this nonsense.

15. trashcan

trashcan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AM, FM and SAT is all bad. I do not have these issues with my traded 04 TL and the TL has no antenna stick out but get superior AM, FM receptions. The SAT even went silent frequently and showing "singal loss" in a CLEAR sky view.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend who just bought a 2010 phoned me the other day with questions about this issue. I referred him to the dealer, and here, before I found this thread. Having read it now, the problem appears to be a design flaw, not just a random loose connection on his car alone. With enough people raising the issue - and Toyota does monitor this site, apparently - perhaps the problem can be found. Maybe it won't help for the cars already built, but at least the problem could be corrected on the assembly line, or with the next model year. It's also possible a service bulletin could be issued.

17. THD

THD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    not sure what you installed, did you do it yourself? my reception is poor and would like to fix and your $15 option sounds just about how much it's worth messing with

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed an amplifier - and it did nothing but amplify the "noise".

On a separate note, I have now clearly shown my AM is *also* very deficient. We have a station that all cars get where we live - after I re-installed the factory unit, I get very poor reception on that station.

So, I am quite confident that both AM and FM stations do not work nearly as well as any other car I've been in. An AM station not working as well shows an issue with the antenna - and most likely the antenna connection (running a signal from roof to radio). AM signals run great in diverse terrain - this to me shows something really messed up...... I should pull that signal 30 miles out......

19. Melvin

Melvin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think My Prius II also had the same problem.
    I took it back to the agent and they had done something to it and they suppose to have a better signal.
    But I think its still the same.

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you mean "DIVERSITY Antenna System" NO the Prius does not have that system....

There is supposed to be a Antenna Pre-amp already in line with the antenna. There could be a bunch of BAD RF amps out there, but this going to be a frustrating fix due to the nature of the problem. Just to throw a nut into the ringer, if you have TOO much RF going into the radio, I.E. tha antenna pre-amp is putting out TOO much signal, it will overload the "Front End" of the radio and also give you crappy reception.
    To be really sure of what the antenna system is capable of you need to disconnect the antenna from the radio and grab a "Spectrum Analyser" and plug the antenna cable into the Analyser input and you can see the what signals you are receiving and importantly the LEVEL of the incoming RF.

That being said I doubt that 99.9% of you all even have a Spectrum Analyser, much less even know what or how to use one!!! Neither do Toyota Techs!

My radio works fine, but that's not the point. I have a coworker who just got a 2010, but I do not think he will want to rip his car apart to do this test, well unless he has this problem. But we live in Los Angeles, one of the most RF saturated cities on the planet....

Thankfully he is a techie like me, if he has the same problem, maybe we can pull this off....

Will get back to you all later if something develops!!!