1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak FM radio reception in 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Milo'sPrius, Sep 30, 2009.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rrolf, Good For You!!! Being persistent pays off!!
    As we both suspected, lousy HU's. Hope it stays working!
    I guess you just got your Christmas Present!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

2. dewey

dewey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took my wife's 2010 IV in because of the FM static. I spoke with service in advance to 'prep' them that it is a widespread problem in the 2010. They looked at it, called me back and said they're installing a new unit. It goes in Dec. 31. No questions asked. And no prompting by Toyota headquarters (as far as I know). It will be a new JBL stock unit but I'm hoping later versions fix the reception/static problems. I'll let you know.

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got done replacing mine with an after market unit. If the replacement works for you, I will likely bring mine in and ask for a replacement! Just in case I sell later and want to keep the other unit.
    Let us know how it goes.

4. hambone13

hambone13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

6. sku

sku New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes, I'm having the same problem with the radio in my new 2010 Prius III.

7. sku

sku New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I'm having the same problem with the radio in my new 4-week old 2010 Prius III. I've been complaining to dealer for 3 weeks and they finally agreed to look at it. I took the car to the dealer this week and the service report was as follows: "Checked to verify complaint, checked to other Prius on lot no differance (sic) no problem found all OK." Well, not OK with me. What should I do next?

8. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully, Dewey will write his result from dealership visit on 31.12.2009, as he promissed :)

9. thomsonfl

thomsonfl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I swapped the antenna from an 06 Prius with the one from my 2010 Prius. It seemed like there was a very slight improvement, but the reception is still not very good.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not the physical antenna, we sorta dismissed that theory about 40 posts or so ago.
    With latest postings, the trouble seems to indicate a HU unit that's deaf as a post to RF!!!
    Having a replacement HU seems to be in order!!
    Rrolff had good luck!
    More folks are pursuing this route with some success!
    Keep checking back, a trip to your dealer may be in order....
    Good Luck, it's a real PIA problem, like the HID Snafu on the Gen II's
    The more people complain to the dealers, maybe Toyota will take note and actually get on the HU manufacturers case and make them improve their product......

11. thomsonfl

thomsonfl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use AM in a rural area and the reception in my 2010 Prius is considerably worse than it was in my 2006 Prius.

12. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes - to reiterate, I bought a random HU from China - had poor reception - then they fixed it - and now I have crazy good reception - better than our Lexus, better than I could dream - so it's not the antenna (which I originally was sure it was)...

It is still VERY funny that 3 different HUs have all poor quality (????????). I didn't pursue it, but I believe (if memory serves correct), that the stock HU has *two* - yes *two* antenna inputs - each for different antenna impedance. Kinda strange - I have little interest in looking at it - but it is strange none the less.

Buried back when is a post I made with the stock HU having *no* reception in Laguna Beach - *no* meaning nothing significant - that's just not right - and I am sure is very replicable to other ppl...

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Rrolff, you dont suppose it may be a Diversity Antenna System secondary antenna input????? Would'nt it be something if the stock HU NEEDS 2 seperate antennas to perform properly????

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the other input may have something to do with XM (or ironically FM or AM) :cool: I (don't) like to think there may be more sinister intentions at foot (gratuitous {and quite timely} Holmes reference). There are many theories as to why someone (or more importantly - some entity) may not want you (a statistically important being) to not hear certain messages sent over the open airwaves.

I will say no more (unless provoked).

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, there are two inputs... both the same rating as it appears. This is the back of my non-JBL unit.

Attached Files:

16. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As u can see, it is male/female connector so I expect it is ready to act as a go through connector, like DVD recorders have. Just an idea.

17. Capt Pat

Capt Pat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    spiderman,
    Looking at your picture I cannot be sure if the top connector is a male connector. For some reason I seem to remember reading somewhere that in our case: non JBL unit sat reception could be achieved with an external satellite receiver, could it be the sat input?
    My non JBL radio is still lousy. I was thinking of taking the pri to the stealer but the NPR station listen to is in the same city as the dealer and obviously the reception there is flawless. :mad:

18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    An upgrade from my side. No solution yet.
    The dealer wanted to have a test drive - I went there and drove with them the test car they have - a Prius with CD/Radio only (no navi) and they recognised the same issue as in my car. They have reported the issue to Toyota Germany and wanted to try to add an antenna amplifier to see if it would increase or reduce the noises but could not go through with it due to non standard plugs between the antenna and the receiver, as far as I understood.
    So now, they are stuck like me with a radio that does not reproduce noise-free FM radio stations.
    We did notice that reception in general is, comically I would say, really good (e.g. tunnels) if not exceptional, but random noise is everywhere to be heard, independently on where you drive/what you do with the car.
    Now waiting to see Toyota "central" for a reply... :(

19. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does any one have a P/N for the JBL unit? I'm wondering how much it would cost to replace the pkg II HU with the pkg III JBL?
    There is a BIG differance between the reception in our II (blue) and III (white) audio systems and I'm taking the II in tomorrow for it's initial service and oil change. I will be bringing up this issue also.

20. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EU versions have the antenna amplifier installed as a standard feature. The amplifier is located in the antenna roof cover directly attached to the nut. there is also the noise filter in the left part of rear door.