1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak glass and paint.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Piotrus Pan, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone.
    I recently got my windshield glass scratched by my windshield wipers so I cleaned the window and did an inspection. It turns out I got about 7 glass chipped holes. There is 1 right in front of the driver seat so I knew about that but I didn't know about the rest.
    I also checked the whole front and it's the same issue. Chipped paint everywhere.
    I know it's from highway tiny rocks but still, is the Toyota paint and glass so weak or is it just my car?
    Do you guys have the same problem?

#1 Piotrus Pan, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much on the odometer? What sort of roads? Are you often overtaking vehicles, following close? Or keeping a good distance?

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't attest to Toyota quality, but it does meet safety standards. I do know it doesn't take much force to chip or crack a windshield (or paint on most any car). A tiny speck coming at the right angle and speed will do the job. The glass won't shatter, which is its job.

I lived out west where high wind was constant. My windshield looked like it was sandblasted after a couple years. My parents garage-kept their car. After one trip to see me, their windshield had a perpetual haze that mandated replacement after a couple more years (couldn't see through it during morning/evening sun if it hit the glass just right).

4. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    odo is at 132000km ~ 82020miles

Luxembourg/French Highways. In France mostly paid highways. All in good condition. Rest I drive locally, 90km/h is outside the cities but the roads are mostly unpaved with grass trenches on each side.

When I'm on a highway I usually drive behind people with the "safe" distance, 2 long lanes behind, I think it's about a distance of 20m. I don't like driving aggressively and I usually don't exceed the speed limit but if highways speed limit is 130km/h that's the speed I want to go. If someone is going 110km/h I will pass him. Since most of people want to go 130km/h I'm usually on the right lane behind someone.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could you tell me the type of the car your parents were driving? Also how much did the change of the windshield cost?

I've been here in Luxembourg in Carglass, they tolled me that with labour it will be 1080euro to change the windshield.

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was a Toyota Camry. A replacement windshield in the US done by an auto glass shop (not the dealer) is often under $200 USD. In the USA, most all insurances will pay to repair a chip or crack in lieu of replacement without a deductible. You could have it replaced under insurance, but the windshield must fail. If it's just "hazed" from pock marks, insurance won't apply.

7. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi!
    Sorry for the late reply. I just wanted to say thank you cause that's a great idea to check with the insurance company.
    I also checked the price of the front window from an independent window dealer and it's around 1200 euro which sucks ...
    Thanks again!
    Cheers!