1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak "Reverse" Homelink

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DeanFL, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I back into my garage to park about 1/2 the time. Homelink works perfectly with good range for gates & garage. EXCEPT when pulling out of the garage, after backing in, and cannot close the garage door with Homelink - at least most of the time. Of course, I need to make sure the rearend is clear from the garage door, then press the Homelink button. Sometimes I move my fingers and it may work after a few seconds. And sometimes it simply won't work and must get out of the car and close with the keypad remote.

This is my first car with Mirror-located Homelink, rather than visor. Has anyone else noticed this?

I assume the transmitter sends the signal "forward" and this is the source of the issue... Minor thing - but an irritant.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I back into my garage, which is like a basement garage, every day and never ran into a problem with the homelink. Not in the 2010 nor my 2006.

Maybe you need to move the antenna wire around a little bit that's inside the garage door opener. The installer left my antenna wire tucked inside where the bulbs go, but I lit it stick out, straight down instead of all coiled up like he had it. That was the only time it didn't work good and it was the openers fault, not the car lol.

3. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mark,
    The receiver wire is hanging straight down and when driving TO the garage the range is about 150' which is great. Good to hear you have no problem - so I may have hope. Thought it was a design issue.

Perhaps lengthening the receiver wire in the opener? Longer = better?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, I really don't know Dean... When I pull out of mine I hit the button once I'm a good 30-40 feet away from it and that's once the car is believe it or not higher or the tires would be level with the garage door opener straight behind the car. And it works to open the door while I am in the garage and the opener is directly above the middle of the roof.

I have fluorescent lights installed in mine so I can't say maybe they are creating some kind of interference over regular incandescent bulbs neither... Urgh, I hate not being able to offer some bit of good advice! lol

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I back into my garage as well, and many days as I leave the house in the morning, the signal does not reach back to my garage, to close the door.

However, when I return, and before I turn around to back in, the door will open without issue 95% of the time. If I wait until I start to reverse, and then hit the button, I have about a 50% success rate.

There may be something to this. Has anyone else seen this occur, even if only occasionally?

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The range is quite big so why not wait until you're on the street (and perpendicular to the garage) and hit the button?

7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I try to get it to close while I am still pulling out of the garage. Otherwise, I will need to wait for it to close once perpendicular, and in the street. I'd rather it work when I hit the button when within x number of feet.

8. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is a workaround - thanks. Duh, I never thought of that. But, knowing how garage doors can sometimes reverse when closing I like to see it down all the way. If I'm on the street - I may need to step on the gas... But, yep, a worthy alternative.

9. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dean;

Unfortunately, we're like Paradox, we also back into our garage and have NO problem closing the door after exiting the garage. We usually just wait till the tail of the Prius clears the opening, then put the door down, it's always worked EVERY time.

You could be right in lengthening your transmitting antenna, I can see where you'd be hesitant to wait in the street to see if the door's fully down.

Wish I could offer more aids, GOOD luck, and let us know if you find a solution!

David (aka Blind guy)

10. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

David, thanks. Actually this is good news. There's evidence Homelink works well "backwards" - you and mark so far.

So the issue is probably local - my receiver. Why I questioned the whole thing is the receiver range is great when Homelink is "forewards".

I'll try lengthening the wire. Actually I googled this before posting the problem. I've seen BMWs with Homelink issues but little else.

Thanks guys!

11. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    HeLlo all:

I often open my door with Homelink when I'm turning down my street, about 300 feet or more away from the garage. I back in and pull out exclusively.

As soon as I pull out of the garage I hit the button to close it, although occassionally I wait until I'm in the street.

I've never had any problems in any scenario with the Homelink failing, except of couse that I have to hold the button for 1 or 2 seconds, which seems standard for Homelink.

12. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have similar issues. Please let us know the results of your changes.

13. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a problem as well. I can always pull out of the garage and shut the door, no problems. Coming back in the evening, I cannot open the door most times. Maybe once every 10 trips or so. I've started to carry the remote in the car so I can open the door. I've tried everything. I made sure the antenna wire was down and straight, I re-set the homelink, I've tried operating at different distances. Nothing works.