1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wear and tear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jun 22, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

How would you calculate wear and tear on a Prius?
    Here is some background info. Currently I commute 50 miles one way to work. I was just offered a new job 5 minutes from my house. The job I am currently in pays more by about $2,000, has excellent benefits (the health coverage only costs me $64/month for family plan, I got 4 weeks paid vacations which I can carry over forever so at the moment I have 2.5 months vacation, 4 personal days, 2 weeks sick time, 13 holidays, my employer chips in 9% for to my 401K regardless of what I put in, I get free classes at state colleges and universities, I will get longevity pay in 1.5 years and many other benefits). The new job offers only 3 weeks vacation, 2 personal days, 10 sick days, the same amount of holidays, health coverage is $400/month plus $30/month dental, the employer chips in 5% to my retirement, I can take classes up to $2000/semester for work related courses. So the difference in pay is about $5,000.
    Of course I am trying to decide whether I should take the job or not, but my question is about wear and tear on my Prius. A friend of mine is telling me that I should realistically calculate $0.41/mile for gas and wear and tear (BTW, he doesn't know I drive a Prius). In his opinion, I am better off taking a new job because at that cost I am spending almost $10,000 more driving to the old job. What do you think about his wear and tear cost and should I take a new job? :)

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Do you like who you work with and for?

Sure, $ is important, but I'd much rather be happy in my job if the income was remotely similar.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian K @ Jun 22 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]275508[/snapback]</div>
    The people I work for and with are OK. I don't have any problems with them.

So what do you think about the wear and tear figure on my Prus?

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I find it interesting you didn't consider wear and tear on yourself but only on your Prius. After experiencing commuting to work over 60 miles round trip for over 10 years I would only ask you to think about this variable as well.

In the end, however, only you can answer this question. To only evaluate the dollars tells me you need to expand your sphere of questions to ask yourself. I must agree with Brian K on his points. I am merely expanding on his views.

Good luck.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 22 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]275515[/snapback]</div>
    No wear and tear on me, I love driving my Prius I think I will miss it, driving it only for 10 minutes to and from work :)

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    did the new place give you details on their health benefits? i think with all other things considered equal, that is the most important thing a job can offer. i say this because in less than a week we just lost over a month's income (yes, combined) for health insurance copays/high deductibles/dental deductibles/copays/services not covered/services over annual payout limit, plus lost work income, etc.

security (of health and finances) is much more important than wear and tear on something like a car.

my 2 cents (or was it a rant?) on that anyway. sorry it was OT.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 22 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]275538[/snapback]</div>
    Galaxee,

they only told me the cost of the health insurance and it is like 7 times more expensive. I am pretty sure the coverage is pretty good but the one I have is very good also.

So, let's say I stay at my current job, which is probably what I will do.

What would the wear and tear cost of my car be?
    Anyone want to give this a shot?

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 22 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]275500[/snapback]</div>
    How much are two to two and a half hours less driving a day, which should translate to free time, worth to you? That would be my major concern, quality of life as opposed to the cost of operating my car.

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know what numbers to put in but I would take the cost of tires/expected life span, oil/tire rotation. Depreciation based on mileage is important as well but still unknown with these cars. Brakes are fairly unknown. Filters and such incidental items may need more frequent changing based on your mileage and type of roads you are on.

All that thrown in probably is not going to make up for the huge difference in Health Care costs and as long as you have no other options for decreasing that and you don't mind the drive I would say your old job is still more worthwhile.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Based on detailed calculations the total cost of ownership (TCO) of my 2001 Prius is less than 23 cents per mile. I would be surprised if many Prius exceed 30 cents/mile.

TCO includes purchase price, financing, insurance, registration, and all the rest of it. Your wear and tear might not be so inclusive?

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 22 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]275606[/snapback]</div>
    honestly, I rather have more vacation time then extra 2hrs/day as I would be getting home at the same time anyway because the new job is from 9-5 and the old job is from 8-4. So basically I will just end up sleeping more in the morning but I will be getting home at the same time. I already sleep too much though (9hrs), so I don't think I will gain that much time that way.
    thank you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jun 22 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]275610[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I am leaning towards staying at the current job as I am unable to justify the cost difference.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 23 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]275634[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, that's helpful. I do not have financing on my car so perhaps my number would be a bit lower.
    So, let's assume that after calculating TCO both jobs are equal money-wise, I still get much better benefits at my current job.

Hmmm, now I am thinking of calling the new job and negotiate the salary and if they don't go higher I should just stay at my current job :D

12. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keep the current job and move closer. Then you get the best of both worlds.

13. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 22 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]275500[/snapback]</div>
    No one has mentioned the difference in 401Ks. Assuming a salary of $50,000 with increases of 5% a year and a return of 8% average on your investment the employer only portion of your 401K would look like this at the end of 30 years. This assumes this is your first year.

Employer 1 9% Value after 30 years $996,625.72

Employer 2 4% Value after 30 years $473,321.79

Insn't compounding interest wonderful! Remember this is only the value of the employers portion.

14. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 23 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]275751[/snapback]</div>
    Then my husband would have to commute the same distance and unfortunately he cannot get a hybrid van for work

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jun 23 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]275752[/snapback]</div>

I often here people say "a return of 8% average", I would like a return of 8% average over the next 10 years. Could I ask where you get that?

As for the new job, Maggieddd, you are in a unique position. You can ask for whatever it takes for you to not be able to turn down the new job. You can always say something to the effect of, "I appreciate your offer and I think I would be very happy here, unfortunately the financial situation for both jobs is so close that it makes it a difficult choice". Or any thing you can think up to see if they will up the anti.

Somtimes turning down a job works wonders.

16. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 22 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]275538[/snapback]</div>
    As a cancer survivor who was helped to a cure by excellent health benefits (no premium cost to me) from my job, I second that emotion.

17. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jun 23 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]275752[/snapback]</div>
    interesting....

18. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 23 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]275758[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the reasoning. For the period 1928-1998, which includes the great depression, if you invested in common stocks there is not a single 30 year average that was less than 8%. The average return is over 11%. You may not make money this year and maybe not next but if you hang on over a long period the odds shift dramatically in your favor.

Explanation

Simple Bar Graph

19. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jun 23 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]275776[/snapback]</div>

You are correct of course, but that info is a little deceiving.

A. It stops at 1998 skipping the bear market starting in 2000.

B. It doesn’t include fees.

C. It all depends on when you retire or need the money. If you retire in a bear market you may not get even close to 8%. In fact you could lose money.

This is why I have trouble with generalized statements that lead people to think that they can get 8% easily.

20. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 23 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]275789[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I noticed it stopped prior to 2000 but it did include the great depression. I agree about when you need the money being important but I was talking only about 30 year averages. No matter which 30 year period you choose you will have averaged at least 8% over the period. Not to shabby if you are strong enough to leave it in the market through the turn arounds.