1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wear and tear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jun 22, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]Is it just me--can everyone else see Maggie's avatar??? :blink:

And--as one whose commute is less than 2 miles...yeah, you'd miss the drive! And it does sound like the cost/benefit ratio does add up to keeping the far away job. What the cost of driving the Prius is sounds to be way less than stuff like health insurance (isn't it wonderful to live in the richest country in the world and have to worry about being able to afford health insurance?) and 9% FREE MONEY from your employer. I couldn't stand that many hours in a week in a car--not even my Prius! B)

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 22 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]275500[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that $0.41/mile is the current gov't mileage rate. I found that, even before I owned a Prius, that whenever I used my car for work related travel I was way ahead if I was compensated for mileage. Based on better than average fuel economy (you'd be saving 10 gallons per week with the shorter commute) and lower anticipated maintenance costs for brakes and such, I would say that half of that mileage rate is more realistic. So if you took the new job at $5000/year less, the lower cost of driving and the salary decrease would be a wash.
    So- take whichever job where you think you'd be happier!

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 25 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]276406[/snapback]</div>
    It's $0.445 this year.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 25 2006, 04:20 AM) [snapback]276405[/snapback]</div>

I can't see it? :(

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 25 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]276466[/snapback]</div>
    Boy, am I glad you said that! If I'd'a asked my husband, he'd've said, no dear, I can see it fine, and what do you mean the lights are getting dim? :blink:

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 25 2006, 05:11 AM) [snapback]276406[/snapback]</div>
    thanks Michael. I still can't decide :angry:
    anyway they are harrasing me now that they are very interested in my candidacy as I was about to thanks them for the offer but now I am back to being confused...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 25 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]276466[/snapback]</div>
    my server crashed and my avatar is gone :(
    I saw it floating on the web as a lot of people stole it from me, I will have to look for it and see if I can add it again
    unless someone here saved it and can give it to me

7. Redblue88

Redblue88 New Member

To actually answer your question, if you assume an average $3.00 per gallon and the mpg used to calculate the original figure was 25mpg, you'd go from .12 per mile in gas to .06 per mile in gas (assuming 50mpg for your Prius). The added savings on fewer oil changes and brake replacement are minimal on a per mile basis. The real wild-card is the depreciation portion, which is tough to figure given the current irrational market for used Prii. If Toyota ramps up production enough to meet new demand, the demand for used ones will go back to normal. So instead of using .41 per mile (although in 2006, the IRS deduction amount is .445 per mile), use .35 per mile. As someone who commutes 100 miles each way, I don't think I'd take a pay cut to reduce my commute unless the job itself was an improvement.