1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weather and mpg

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by lablover123, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lablover123

lablover123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Today was a really hot day, over 95. I noticed my mpg was only around 37 .. does the hot weather affect the battery .. I also noticed the ev light did not come on as much as last week...even when I was driving slow

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (this response is about Prius in general, I have not owned a c)
    yes, the battery hates being hot, so use the A/C. I find I get better MPG until about 85 F, then it tapers back down. Be sure you are not blocking the battery vent!
    [​IMG]

3. It was also 95 degrees here today. I got 60+ mpg... for the most part I was going 50 mph along a straight backroad with little traffic. What driving conditions are you in (e.g. heavy traffic)? How fast are you going? If your AC is full blast you won't be using your car like a pure electric car for very long before the engine has to kick in.

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The c is the same - the symptoms reported are most commonly associated with the HV battery intake being blocked as you have described, so that would be the first thing to check. Ours looks slightly different but appears to be in the same place, beneath the rear seat on what would be the driver's side for LHD vehicles.