1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weather and Mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rachael71, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Rachael71

Rachael71 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone notice that MPG is affected by weather quite a bit. And I'm talking about hot weather, not cold. Even humidity seems to play a big role in Mpg. Maybe that's it, humidity is the culprit. I drove on Thursday, 2 miles to an appt and got 46 mpg, temp in 70s and raining- Yesterday I drove 2 miles in muggy,muggy, yet relatively cool weather for this time of year in Iowa 84 degrees and got 22.3 Mpg. Both were first trips of the day. Both were flat trips and 22.3 mpg had some downhill parts. It's very confusing the radical shifts in MPG. Then on a drier day but much hotter say 92, I get around 44 mpg give or take-with A/C off.. I work in a ice cold office and I alway enjoy the balmy warmth of my car after work . I convinced weather plays a large part in our MPG accomplishments. It would explain why Californians love their Prii so much, they are often in the sweet spot temp wise and never have to contend with high humidity. Anyway, just wondering what others have experienced. Or perhaps, there's something wrong with my car? one other thing I noticed was batter was only half charged on 22.3 mpg.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 miles is much too short to be making meaningful MPG measurements. Variabilities in engine warmup, cabin cooldown, waiting time at stoplights, small elevation changes, battery SOC changes, etc., seriously monkeywrench your measurements.

Montgomery, xpcman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    100's of 1000's of owners have noticed that over the past 19 years of Prius ownership.

Unfortunately, most traditional-vehicle owners still haven't.

Engines in general feel the impact of temperature & humidity. You'll discover just how much of an impact warmth and moisture make a difference as you continue to watch the vital detail the screen tells you about the real-world driving you do. It's too bad the guzzlers don't also convey that level of information.

bwilson4web and Rachael71 like this.
  4. Rachael71

Rachael71 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting! Thanks!

5. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're absolutely right, Rachael71 - "California weather" is the sweet spot MPG-wise for most cars. just wait until your first winter to see an even more dramatic effect!

If you click through my Fuelly results in my signature below \|/ , you will see the dramatic effect of weather on MPG :)

Rachael71 likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pl
    Please get your average by your tank fill up numbers. Sometimes driving 2 miles will cause you to run on the electric motor only, sometimes ICE only, sometimes both.

Rachael71 likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Up here in the NorthEast corner, there are seasonal changes to the gas formula, and I've noticed over the years that my gas mileage is affected (as much as 10%) by not only the weather, but also the chemistry of the gasoline (…but, of course, YMMV!! :rolleyes:) - Wil

Rachael71 likes this.
  8. Rachael71

Rachael71 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do I do that? Do I just calculate manually or is there a way the car can do this for me? Also when should I fill up again? Should I wait for the flashing remaining blip? I forget what people call them :) I haven't done that yet, I fill when it gets to one blip.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fill up around 2 pips to be safe. divide you miles by gallons for tank average. keep a record so you can have a running average. the more tanks, the more accurate = lifetime average.
    if you want someone to calculate and keep records, join fuelly.

10. Rachael71

Rachael71 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so each trip I add my miles to a running tally right?

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and add your gallons to a running tally, too. A spreadsheet makes that easier, but isn't necessary.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes to all the above. I just divide the miles driven by how many gallons I fill up. Usually fill up with two bars showing. Or 400 miles, whichever comes first.