1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Nov 8, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 8 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]536990[/snapback]</div>
    maybe i should have said that instead and left it there.

in my world, accusing someone of dishonesty is not done the least bit lightly. i probably overreacted to the original post i quoted.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 8 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]537008[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't think you were wrong in your posting. I just felt you covered it thoroughly enough that there was not much I could add to it and viking seems a decent guy despite our disagreements so I didn't feel the need to gang up on him. :)

Besides, your knowledge on grant writing far surpasses mine so I let you run that that arguement. Hahaha

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 8 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]536626[/snapback]</div>
    That's the problem with these web sources instead of printed media: I can't use them for wrapping fish or painter's drop clothes like I usually do with paper. :D

Tom

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet even an IPCC participant attributes climate changes to random chance. Here's a bit of humility from an article originally published on WSJ online. The writer and I share the same concerns (his third to last paragraph) expressed in my other posts: There are more pressing needs that would return far more to humanity than unproven man-caused global warming "cures". It's refreshing to see a small dose of humility, though Christy will surely pay a price from the GW industry for his candor.

My Nobel Moment
    By JOHN R. CHRISTY
    November 1, 2007; Page A19

I've had a lot of fun recently with my tiny (and unofficial) slice of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). But, though I was one of thousands of IPCC participants, I don't think I will add "0.0001 Nobel Laureate" to my resume.

The other half of the prize was awarded to former Vice President Al Gore, whose carbon footprint would stomp my neighborhood flat. But that's another story.

Large icebergs in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Winter sea ice around the continent set a record maximum last month.

Both halves of the award honor promoting the message that Earth's temperature is rising due to human-based emissions of greenhouse gases. The Nobel committee praises Mr. Gore and the IPCC for alerting us to a potential catastrophe and for spurring us to a carbonless economy.

I'm sure the majority (but not all) of my IPCC colleagues cringe when I say this, but I see neither the developing catastrophe nor the smoking gun proving that human activity is to blame for most of the warming we see. Rather, I see a reliance on climate models (useful but never "proof") and the coincidence that changes in carbon dioxide and global temperatures have loose similarity over time.
    There are some of us who remain so humbled by the task of measuring and understanding the extraordinarily complex climate system that we are skeptical of our ability to know what it is doing and why. As we build climate data sets from scratch and look into the guts of the climate system, however, we don't find the alarmist theory matching observations. (The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration satellite data we analyze at the University of Alabama in Huntsville does show modest warming -- around 2.5 degrees Fahrenheit per century, if current warming trends of 0.25 degrees per decade continue.)

It is my turn to cringe when I hear overstated-confidence from those who describe the projected evolution of global weather patterns over the next 100 years, especially when I consider how difficult it is to accurately predict that system's behavior over the next five days.

Mother Nature simply operates at a level of complexity that is, at this point, beyond the mastery of mere mortals (such as scientists) and the tools available to us. As my high-school physics teacher admonished us in those we-shall-conquer-the-world-with-a-slide-rule days, "Begin all of your scientific pronouncements with 'At our present level of ignorance, we think we know . . .'"
    I haven't seen that type of climate humility lately. Rather I see jump-to-conclusions advocates and, unfortunately, some scientists who see in every weather anomaly the specter of a global-warming apocalypse. Explaining each successive phenomenon as a result of human action gives them comfort and an easy answer.

Others of us scratch our heads and try to understand the real causes behind what we see. We discount the possibility that everything is caused by human actions, because everything we've seen the climate do has happened before. Sea levels rise and fall continually. The Arctic ice cap has shrunk before. One millennium there are hippos swimming in the Thames, and a geological blink later there is an ice bridge linking Asia and North America.

One of the challenges in studying global climate is keeping a global perspective, especially when much of the research focuses on data gathered from spots around the globe. Often observations from one region get more attention than equally valid data from another.

The recent CNN report "Planet in Peril," for instance, spent considerable time discussing shrinking Arctic sea ice cover. CNN did not note that winter sea ice around Antarctica last month set a record maximum (yes, maximum) for coverage since aerial measurements started.

Then there is the challenge of translating global trends to local climate. For instance, hasn't global warming led to the five-year drought and fires in the U.S. Southwest?

Not necessarily.

There has been a drought, but it would be a stretch to link this drought to carbon dioxide. If you look at the 1,000-year climate record for the western U.S. you will see not five-year but 50-year-long droughts. The 12th and 13th centuries were particularly dry. The inconvenient truth is that the last century has been fairly benign in the American West. A return to the region's long-term "normal" climate would present huge challenges for urban planners.

Without a doubt, atmospheric carbon dioxide is increasing due primarily to carbon-based energy production (with its undisputed benefits to humanity) and many people ardently believe we must "do something" about its alleged consequence, global warming. This might seem like a legitimate concern given the potential disasters that are announced almost daily, so I've looked at a couple of ways in which humans might reduce CO2 emissions and their impact on temperatures.

California and some Northeastern states have decided to force their residents to buy cars that average 43 miles-per-gallon within the next decade. Even if you applied this law to the entire world, the net effect would reduce projected warming by about 0.05 degrees Fahrenheit by 2100, an amount so minuscule as to be undetectable. Global temperatures vary more than that from day to day.

Suppose you are very serious about making a dent in carbon emissions and could replace about 10% of the world's energy sources with non-CO2-emitting nuclear power by 2020 -- roughly equivalent to halving U.S. emissions. Based on IPCC-like projections, the required 1,000 new nuclear power plants would slow the warming by about 0.2 ?176 degrees Fahrenheit per century. It's a dent.

But what is the economic and human price, and what is it worth given the scientific uncertainty?

My experience as a missionary teacher in Africa opened my eyes to this simple fact: Without access to energy, life is brutal and short. The uncertain impacts of global warming far in the future must be weighed against disasters at our doorsteps today. Bjorn Lomborg's Copenhagen Consensus 2004, a cost-benefit analysis of health issues by leading economists (including three Nobelists), calculated that spending on health issues such as micronutrients for children, HIV/AIDS and water purification has benefits 50 to 200 times those of attempting to marginally limit "global warming."

Given the scientific uncertainty and our relative impotence regarding climate change, the moral imperative here seems clear to me.

Mr. Christy is director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and a participant in the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, co-recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

5. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Nov 8 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]536800[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not talking about Bush - I'm talking about RealClimate. I'm not saying there is no value there, but besides a number of complaints of censorship I've seen, I think Gavin & Michael (Mann) are a bit too vested in their positions to be desirous of any real debate or discussion that challenges their views.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amped,

If the output of CO2 and other anthropogenic gasses/chemicals only effected global climate change then Mr. Christy may have a point yet I think even he is missing the big picture. So-called greenhouse gasses do not just affect climate, they have a host of effects on the biological world from solar insolation, pH regulation, soil and water chemistry, tonicity, metabolic processes, etc.. These effects may have a huge impact on life on this planet and its effects are on such a grand scale that to ignore them would be a mistake.

My term paper is based on the effects of ocean acidification due to excess CO2 and it's effect on calcifying organisms. There are many papers on the subject and the effects of acidification are not limited to just those organisms that calcify. Since much of our climate and biological life is regulated through oceanic circulations (biotic and abiotic) it would be wise to take the ocean's living organisms into account when deciding how important anthropogenic emissions are. This same reasoning is easily applied to forestry and soils. Simply put, this is not just about "a little bit of warming". Chemistry rules all, muck with it too far in one direction and you will get a reaction.

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting stuff, F8L.

Isn't the main source of CO2 water vapor from ocean evaporation? And if it's true that the sun has warmed (from a couple of articles ~8% over the past decade, could be off on that) as evidenced by melting ice on parts of Earth and other planets, and CO2 is such a small part of the total Earth atmosphere, it's hard getting too excited about any imminent threat from CO2. Unless one is being unduly influenced by sources other than science, such as religion and politics.

I liked Christy's attribution to his high school science teacher's credo: "Begin all of your scientific pronouncements with 'At our present level of ignorance, we think we know . . .'" And that's my concern about the present level of discourse about global warming. Most studies claiming to prove man-caused global warming fail the scientific method, aren't peer reviewed and most egregiously we now have the concept of "consensus science" portrayed as fact amplified by fear mongering.

[​IMG]

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 8 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]537133[/snapback]</div>
    CO2s small percentage of atmospheric makeup should not be taken too lightly. Mercury makes up a very small percentage of our soils yet in high enough concentrations it is deadly. In the biological sciences you find that most organisms and processes work efficiently within specific ranges of chemical composition. When you alter that you may have an effect on the organism which in turn can have an effect on it's community and/or ecosystem which in turn can effect the biosphere since life is the predominant reason we have a livable atmosphere and clean drinking water. When the chemical you are adding or reducing contains such critical elements like carbon, you've increased the likelyhood of seeing an effect on life. I'm sure you are aware of all this but I am writing it in the event other readers are not aware of the hidden connections of anthropogenic emissions output.

Evaporation had actually gone down for a portion of the past decade I believe (based on pan evaporation data) but then may have climbed back up to normal or above normal. I do not have the data for that but if you do I would love to read it. You are correct that at the ocean/air interface CO2 is released back into the atmosphere while much of it is also stored in the test of calcifying organisms such as coccolithophores and foraminifera. This is then stored in ocean sediments and on land in uplifted areas or parts of tectonic plates that are no longer under water. So while the arguement concerning evap rates and oceanic release of CO2 seems plausible I would like you to consider that the coeans have increased their CO2 content and thus their acidification and not the opposite. Also, if ocean evap rates increased enough to have such a drastic effect on CO2 output wouldn't there be a measurable drop in sea level instead of the increase that scientists seem to be agreeing on?

Lastly, I would also take into consideration how much "ancient sunlight" we are adding to the atmosphere. This form of carbon has been sequestered for millions of years in the case of fossil fuels, to hundreds of years in the case of living organic material like trees, soils, and peat. Put any of these items through a redox reaction and you end up with CO2. So we are most definately adding more CO2 to the system than has been circulating through the system in recent times. When you degrade the earths natural sequestering systems (forests, soils, coral reefs) you further exacerbate this issue. True we don't know everything or even a 10th of everything but we know enough to realize we are tampering with things that could have a drastic effect on the life on this planet and our own comfort levels. :)

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 8 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]537088[/snapback]</div>
    Will the real John Christy please stand up:

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 8 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]537111[/snapback]</div>
    Thoughtful response, as usual F8L. :) Personally I suspect there may be as much, maybe more validity to these arguments for CO2 reductions as there are to "global warming".

Perhaps you should consider posting your term paper, when it is completed.

11. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 9 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]537270[/snapback]</div>
    This is really the laziest of all possible responses. Rather than debate the issue or enlighten further (as F8L has just done) you resort to an ad hominem attack. Remember, Christy is an extremely well qualified individual in the field of climate science, regardless of whether you agree with his views or not:

Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 1987
    M.S., Atmospheric Sciences, , University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, 1984
    B.A., Mathematics, California State University, Fresno, 1969

Dr. John R. Christy is Professor of Atmospheric Science and Director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama in Huntsville where he began studying global climate issues in 1987. In November 2000 Gov. Don Siegelman appointed him to be Alabamaâs State Climatologist. In 1989 Dr. Roy W. Spencer, a NASA/Marshall scientist, and Christy developed a global temperature data set from microwave data observed from satellites beginning in 1979. For this achievement, the Spencer-Christy team was awarded NASA's Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement in 1991. In 1996, they were selected to receive a Special Award by the American Meteorological Society "for developing a global, precise record of earth's temperature from operational polar-orbiting satellites, fundamentally advancing our ability to monitor climate."

Dr. Christy has served as a Contributor (1992, 1994 and 1996) and Lead Author (2001) for the U.N. reports by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in which the satellite temperatures were included as a high-quality data set for studying global climate change. He has or is serving on five National Research Council panels or committees and has performed research funded by NASA, NOAA, DOE, DOT and the State of Alabama and has published many articles including studies appearing in Science, Nature, Journal of Climate and The Journal of Geophysical Research. Dr. Christy has provided testimony to several congressional committees.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 9 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]537318[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you Tim. It is people like you on this forum that really make me stop and think before posting. Sometimes I don't stop and think and I fortunately get called on it. That you all for helping me grow as an individual. :)

My term paper is simply a summary report on the subject and not my own personal experiments. It will also be written for lower division biology students. I will post it though as long as you promise not to laugh. :p

13. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 9 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]537340[/snapback]</div>
    No laughing here - unless it's at my own ignorance! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - I am humbled by your thoughtful comment and have to say the you've definitely helped me as well. And Tripp too - although I haven't heard much from him lately.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 9 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]537330[/snapback]</div>
    I could not care less that you think that my response was lazy. I don't always have the time for lengthy dissertations.

The readers of that Op-Ed article are entitled to know the author's background and history as a climate skeptic.

Here are some of his notable quotes:

15. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 9 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]537390[/snapback]</div>
    His history as a "climate skeptic" doesn't make him any less qualified to comment on climate change. I would say his history as a climate expert has informed his skepticism.

16. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 10 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]537642[/snapback]</div>
    However his specific comments are the same as all the other skeptics, which is that he changes his tune over time. From we aren't an impact on CO2 to we are (but there is no warming). From there is no warming to, ok, maybe there is (but we aren't causing it, it's all natural). From we aren't causing it to we are causing some of it (but not a lot, really). From we are causing a fair bit of change, but hey, it's really a good thing, just you wait and see.

So he appears to merely be a lagging indicator. I see no added value from him as compared to other informed skeptics, who are similarly lagging indicators.

I do agree with him on our general inability to reliably predict given the current state of our data and models. Though others have said it better, notably Freeman Dyson.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madler @ Nov 10 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]537704[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see these isolated quotes taken without the full context of whatever he was discussing as evidence he is "changing his tune". Regardless, James Hansen himself has been known to "change his tune":
    - In 1988 Hansen claimed a climate sensitivity value of 1˚C W/m2.
    - In 2001 he claimed a value 0.75˚C W/m2.
    - In 2005 he claimed a value 0.67˚C W/m2.

Does this make Hansen a "lagging indicator"?

18. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 10 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]537712[/snapback]</div>
    You're kidding, right?

No, of course that doesn't make him a lagging indicator in any way even vaguely like what I was describing. Those are all saying the same thing, just haggling over the value (if you recall the alluded-to joke), whereas I'm talking about saying qualitatively completely different and opposed things over time.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 10 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]537712[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind that the effect of aerosols on solar insolation had yet to be studied prior to 2000 and the IDOEX study headed by Professor V. Ramanathan. So as new information comes in one must adjust his postion or risk being labeled a "person of faith". lol

So many of the effects in ocean acidification and in global climate change seem to be happening faster than models anticipated so something is indeed occuring regardless of the actual values placed on forcings right?

20. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madler @ Nov 10 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]537763[/snapback]</div>
    A bunch of out of context quotes pulled from "ExxonSecrets.org" doesn't prove much. For instance, here's your out of context 2001 quote designed to lead us to believe Christy has dramatically changed his views over time:

"It is our great fortune - because we produce so much of it - that carbon dioxide is not a pollutant. In simple terms, carbon dioxide is plant food. The green world we see around us would disappear if not for atmospheric carbon dioxide."

Now here's what he actually said:
    "The concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) is increasing in the atmosphere due primarily to the combustion of fossil fuels. Fortunately (because we produce so much of it) CO2 is not a pollutant. In simple terms, CO2 is the lifeblood of the biosphere. The green world we see around us would disappear if not for atmospheric CO2. These plants largely evolved at a time when the atmospheric CO2 concentration was many times what it is today. Indeed, numerous studies indicate the present biosphere is being invigorated by the human-induced rise of CO2. In and of itself, therefore, the increasing concentration of CO2 does not pose a toxic risk to the planet. It is the secondary impact of CO2 that may present challenges to human life in the future. It has been proposed that CO2 increases could cause climate change of a magnitude beyond what naturally occurs that would force costly adaptation or significant ecological stress. For example, enhanced sea level rise and/or reduced rainfall would be two possible effects likely to be costly to those regions so affected. Data from the past and projections from climate models are employed to provide insight on these concerns."

He doesn't deny there is risk to the planet from climate change, but he's hardly the George Soros funded alarmist that James Hansen is. <_<

Now seriously - I will say I respect Hansen as a credible scientist who has done good work, although his intransigence in providing access to and explanation of temperature data is a bit troubling.