1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

weathertech window deflectors; these any good?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusguy78213, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like to drive with the windows down whenever possible; usually just a bit to get fresh air and let the hot air out. I saw these on the weathertech site; also on Amazon and a few other sites. Read some reviews. Mostly good but there were some complaints about the rear ones either not fitting right or letting rain in. I'd be using these mostly on sunny days so that's not an issue. But if these don't really fit right or stay in place, thinking I would pass. I see quite a few people's avatar with these on their rides. So figured I'd get some opinions from people who've actually installed and used them. Thanks.

2013 Toyota Prius | WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, Rain Guards, Wind Deflectors | WeatherTech.com

NDcowPoke likes this.
  2. Nobody123

Nobody123 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed these on my PiP.

For the most part, they fit really well. They don't flap or anything like that. The rear doesn't block the rain, but that's because of the shape of the Toyota window and not really Weathertech's fault.

The front is very easy to install. Just make sure you slide it into the window channel and not up against the window glass itself.

On the rear, completely ignore Weathertech's instructions. Just look at it and think about which way should slide in first. One way is very easy. The other way is very hard. The side with the triangle (the rear) is easier to slide in last, but the instructions say go back to front.

Just look at it for a few minutes before trying to do it their way.

Other than those issues, I have no complaints. They work well for what they are.

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  3. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info.

4. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    great fit , no tape , looks good

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The HV battery is cooled from air taken from the cabin, so it's better to drive with the AC on. I use the window visors to keep the vehicle cooler while parked in the sun, windows cracked open, sunshade up in front windshield.

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure about the weather-tech mine are different company, but they are all more or less the same. They take most of the wind buffing up to 50MPH and are usable in 50-70MPH range. At 85MPH you'd wanna keep windows up. The best part you can leave front windows cracked when parked and the interior will be 10-30F cooler when you get back.

The issue with rear is due to Gen3 window design, all visors suffer and you will only get water if you park car with rears cracked and it rains cats-n-dogs, light rain won't do, and water gets blown off while moving.

They stay on well just make sure you clean the attachment surface with rubbing alcohol and there isn't going back so be careful during installation. I had an extra pair of hands to set them on and it was helpful.

7. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Been thinking about getting these too on my prius, as I like to crack the windows open more than run the air while driving.

How is wind/road noise with these on compared to not having them on? I usually do 55-60 mph on the freeway, and much of my non-freeway commute is usually on suburb roads, doing 40-45 mph.

Also do they get damaged easily in car washes? I put the hood deflector up recently so will either wash my prius by hand, or go to the touchless ones mostly from this point, though I may still use the pull-through facilities to flush the underside in winter.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They help reduce the wind noise and I have no problem with them in touchless car washes.

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They reduce noise level considerably. At 40-45MPH speeds and no side wind it is almost as quiet as with windows up, and at 55-60 you will probably need to roll driver window up or crank up radio. Still much less noise than w/o them

10. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have them works great !! can drive on highway in rain and crack the windows !!

11. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. Just one more, have the deflectors given you any trouble closing the window? Or does that tend to disappear over time?

12. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These ones are glue on not the one which go in groove

13. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    mine are in the groove and no problems after 24hours breakin

14. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then I am taking what I said back. Mine are Auto Venshade glue ons.

When I put them on I wasn't 100% sure I would not wanna go back and so did not wanna damage grooves

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No problem with mine in groove either after break-in.

Why do you think they will damage groove? The piece that fits in groove is very thin.

16. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It took mine a few weeks to really settle in. My auto Windows kept rolling back down but that's normal. I installed mine 1-2 years ago and haven't had any issues besides really needing to be cleaned right now as they squeak a bit from being dirty. They've been fine in the car wash also. They look so much nicer than the tape on style and can be removed if needed. Definitely a good buy

Ashlem likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wasn't sure if they will or not, but prior to purchase read reviews on in-groove, and the complains (not on weathertech specifically, just in general) were: 1) they fall out after a while, 2) the groove gets wider, so if you ever remove them the seal will not be as good and you have wind noise.

So the glue-ons at 1/2 price were no brainer. No hands on experience, just played safe.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to dispel the complaints in regard to the Weathertech, especially for those that may be thinking of installing them:

1) The way they fit they cannot fall out, especially the front ones.
    2) I have no reason to ever remove them now that I have them. If I were to break one I would replace them. The benefits of having them are just too great to me. So I have no reason to find out if the slightly wider groove will be a problem.

19. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  20. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you think there is no possibility that they will need to be taken out when the car is sold? Or someone wouldn't ever wanna take them off for other reasons?