1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

weathertech window vents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Fred Wacksman, May 27, 2008.

1. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You all have been so helpful, so here's another question.
    I've used Weathertech window vents before, but are there any particular problems with them on the '08 Prius?
    Installation, wind noise, fuel economy,dark vs. light, etc.?
    I haven't ordered them yet and will wait for your responses.
    Thanks,
    Fred

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sure could have used them this weekend. I like to crack the windows when its raining to prevent the fogging of the windows. With the prius the water flows right in. Very annoying!

3. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love mine. I have had absolutely no problems with noise and my MPG average has continued to go up since I put them on (about 1.5 months ago). My MPG average is 53.7 right now, so I don't think they are hurting it at all. I bought the dark ones because I felt that they would match better. They look great! Very sharp looking - even more so since I got my windows tinted. It's already quite hot here in Florida and I have found these very useful in keeping the car cooler and the rain from getting in.

4. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered Weathertech window guards a couple of weeks ago. I found out they are on back order and won't be shipped until July 15th. Weathertech was very helpful explaining the problem and went out of their way to keep me informed about the situation.

Got a big trip planned in August so I sure hope they don't get delayed.

Bob

5. draedie

draedie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I installed some on my '08 about a month ago and all has been fine. We had a slight issue installing them on the rear window because of the little clips they want you to use to help hold it in. They actually ended up breaking out a small section (which fits in the window groove) of one of the vent visors. It's not a problem, because it was under half an inch long and it fit up inside the window groove so it can't be seen. It does not hinder the usability of the visor, so we never bothered calling to get it replaced. The only other issue I have is occasional rattling over bumpy areas of the road with the back ones, especially if the windows are just cracked open. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have something to do with the retention clips. Overall I'm pleased with not having to worry about rain coming in when my windows are open on hot days. There is no additional road noise when the windows are closed. I haven't had any issues with fuel economy, but my car is still new enough that it's slowly rising regardless. I got the darker tinted ones, because my car is black. I like how seamless they look on mine, but there really isn't too much of a variance between the two shades. I posted some photos of the installation process with mine on this thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed mine a week ago on a 2008 pkg 2 with only one problem. My drivers side vent is placed perfectally but when the drivers window goes up on auto and fully closes it opens again to about half way as it senses an obstruction. I I then bring the window up with my finger on the button there is no problem. Yes, I am sure it is inserted correctly. The back window clips took a few minutes to figure out. The dark color matches the black between the windows which looks great. These are so much nicer than the 3-M ones that go over the window vs inside these inside the window ones. All my other cars have the stick on ones but the Prius just does not look good with those..:eek:

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hammy, the window thing will resolve as the deflector gets pushed in completely. Mine did that a couple of times at first but then stopped.

However, I never had the patience to figure out the clips for the back windows. Put them in without them and they fell out in less than 24 hours. Gave up. They don't prevent rain from coming in anyway because they don't cover the entire opening - only the top section.

8. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Install of weathertech window vent shades

2008 ... I installed the fronts last night in a few minutes .... very easy. The rears with the clips .... well I just did not see how that was going to work. Tried without the clips and the supplied tape was useless. I decided to use 3M trim molding tape as a replacement for the cheap end tape, and add 3ea 2 inch sections spaced along the top edge.

How they think those clips will work is beyond me .... and I have been employed as a mechanic and am currently a hardware engineer. You would have to cut the outside edge of the window seal to make these work and I am not about to do that.

I cleaned the window seals with Trichlorothane (Industrial degreaser) and installed the rears. I started all 5 3M tape strips on each just slightly folding them over so I had a tab to pull. I worked the front corner in first and then moved to the back. Once I got them in position I pulled the release strip tabs and pulled them outwards to make contact with the window seal. I then put the windows up carefully. :clap2: Success. They seem to be holding great. Now the test of time.

9. draedie

draedie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Re: Install of weathertech window vent shades

Very interesting idea. I might try this with mine. I get a rattling with the back ones occasionally, mostly while the windows are cracked open back there. I think it might be related to those stupid little clips.

10. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :mad: :( :(

I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting...

July 15th I'm told. These things are harder to get than a Prius. :rolleyes:

Bob

11. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

If your auto-window keeps activating when it hits the deflector, Weathertech recommends you guide the window up using a 'pray' position with your hands on either side of the glass and push it all the way up into the weather stripping (be careful doing this).

The rear clips DO work as is - no cutting, etc. needed.
    The way they are used is very challenging, like a puzzle though(imo), but they are necessary or the rear deflectors are at risk of dropping out!

This may help:
    -also attached as a .pdf

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. root4wings

root4wings New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    chrisspaulding,

Your drawing did the trick for me. I was about ready to get some more tape and toss the clips into the trash, but now I have the rear deflectors installed correctly.

Many thanks,
    root4wings