1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weekend Rental of Plug in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by janie, Mar 16, 2012.

1. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Day 3 of the Rental:

Today I finished off my rental, with driving about 100 miles and averaging 55 mpg for the 340 total miles I drive the car. Also, 2.5 charges, which included 4 hours of waiting for the charging of the car. Also, driving over the bridge to get home was a bit nerve racking, as it was very windy, and difficult to keep the car from swerving. . .

So, my decision? At this point, I think I will be cancelling my order. I think the car is great, but because I have this drive (no pun intended) in me that wants to always get the best mpg possible, I would be wanting to charge it way too much for the type of driving that I do. Also, I thought things could work out for me to do home charging at night, but it looks like that may not be possible for now.

My 2010 Prius works great, averaging about 48 mpg, and my only regret is that I got a base model without the Navigation and Bluetooth. I wanted to get a Prius with all the bells and whistles, so I ordered the Advanced Model Plug in. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the right car for me at this point of time.

2 people like this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Worry not, because PriusChat can help you solve that! There are many here among us who feel that the Prius Nav unit is but a joke! We can show you exactly how you can replace the radio with a touchscreen-based unit from Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or another. These units add practically everything -- they're amazing. I added a Kenwood, and I can't even remember all the stuff it's got -- Garmin GPS, CD/DVD, XM radio, Bluetooth handsfree cellphone support, a backup camera that engages when you go into reverse, a USB connector for a USB stick (plays 1,000's of MP3 files, it's really great)... Get the idea? There's a sticky thread that'll get you started here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-toyota-prius-model-ii-head-unit-upgrade.html

I live near you, in Alameda. If you want to see it in action next weekend, PM me and we'll see if we both have time for a demo, otherwise, I can make a video and put it on YouTube.

3. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks Rebound - just this morning I was discussing with a friend, whether or not that addition could be done or not - it would be great to see it on a video as next weekend is already booked/filled- but I do know Alameda, as I used to live there :)

My other thought was to get a Camry hybrid fully loaded, maybe new or maybe used/certified.

4. HillCountryEVer

HillCountryEVer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for posting your decision process, I think your comment above "the type of driving that I do" is key to making the right choice on a Plug In vehicle. I think you really have to look at all of the typical trips you might make to determine if you'll be able to get the best leverage out of the advanced drive train you're buying into... I recommend to keep looking, I believe the Plug In landscape is going to grow and improve a lot in the next couple of years -

:)

1 person likes this.
  5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    IMO - if you can get at least one charge on the PiP a day regardless of how far you actually drive - you are a good fit for the PiP over a regular Prius.

Your average fuel economy may not be that high because of the amount of miles you drive beyond EV range, but I wouldn't discount it because of that.

More EV range would be great for those who regularly drive a lot of miles in between charging opportunities - but at right now your options are limited to one of the following (Volt, LEAF, iMiEV, Focus EV) which all have their own niche which may or may not work for you, either.

6. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My daily commute is 46 miles one way. With my old 2005 Prius, I would get around 42 to 45 MPG. When operating in HV mode only, the PiP gets around 47 MPG. When I operate the PiP in it's default EV mode, I get between 63 and 67 MPG. Luckily I can charge at work, so I get that on the way home. That extra 16 to 25 MPG is definitely worth it to me.

If you have a perfectly working 2010 Prius, and no real need to replace it, then your best bet is probably to pas on the PiP.

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps if you had said all the above in your post about someone else not being able to afford it, your comment would not have been taken by others as offensive. Of course "dearly" is subjective when it comes to what one will pay, isn't it, especially when one considers oneself to be a "cheapskate charlie"? :D

8. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Check out the Enture Nav Grey Out thread that is in the PIP section. There is a Youtube video that shows how the unit is replaced. It is amazing when you see them take the car apart. It is extremely easy, once you see the video. Everything just snaps apart. Harbor Freight sells the plastic tool set to disassemble the panels.

9. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our TRAC car just arrived.
    I think we will be able to rent it out by the end of this week.

10. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I sold my 2010 Prius 3 weeks ago and my PIPs not ready for pickup
    so.......am I entitled to FREE RENTALS :D