1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weight-Distributing hitch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Dan Weeks, May 28, 2019.

1. Dan Weeks

Dan Weeks New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm interested in towing a 13' casita travel trailer with my Prius. The Prius pulls it just fine, but with a 200-250 lb tongue load, the ride is a bit rough. I'd like to install a weight-distributing hitch on the Prius to solve that problem, but no one mass produces them. I'm sure one could be made, and am hoping some clever soul on this list either:
    --knows someone who has made one and would be willing to make another
    --would be willing to share engineering drawings of one
    --knows of someone who might be qualified to make one.
    Please let me know if you have any leads, however long-shot they may be.

Thanks much!
    Dan Weeks

SFO likes this.
  2. Kentsommer

Kentsommer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    250 pounds tounge weight isn’t bad. How much does the whole camper weigh?

3. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV in London, ON is one of the best at helping with tow vehicle adaptations. He has used all sorts of vehicles to tow trailers that you never would have expected, including the Prius.

One consideration is that a WD hitch requires a strong enough frame (or unibody for most cars) that can handle the increased load being distributed from the hitch to the tow vehicle. Some unibody cars are strictly prohibited by the manufacturer from using a WD hitch for this reason.

Finally, isn't the Casita's unloaded weight in the 2500 lbs range? After loading your trailer up for a trip you will likely add several hundred pounds of added weight. You could easily exceed the max tongue weight of your hitch.

Paul