1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird brake noise when come to stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by smokeGTI, Sep 15, 2017.

1. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    Just upgraded my Prius Gen 2 to Gen 3 (2009). Still getting use to it.
    The first problem I have notice is the weird sound when braking nearly to stop.
    It's not making that noise all the time, just like 50/50 chances.
    And it sounded exactly as this one, but in a bit shorter duration :

Anyone has the same problem ?

What I was thinking is either a bad actuator(I hope not :( ) or air in the system ?

TIA

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does it also happen when you brake hard while at speed (so as to force the brake pads to be used)? Maybe there is some debris between the brake pads and the discs? Or you need new brake pads alltogether?

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The key is the humidity. Looks as though it has been raining there also. I don't think there is rust/corrosion built up on the rotors, as usually happens in climate like this. The treatment for that is coasting in neutral and apply brakes. No, it sounds like a type of brake vibration which occurs at slow speeds right before stopping. You probably notice that it goes away with frequent braking, when the brakes heat up and dry off. There might be petroleum based contaminants on the rotor/pad which can accentuate the formation of the vibration. You could try some degreaser spray.

4. smokeGTI

smokeGTI Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies, I've got the brake bled with techstream, problem seem solved.
    The car is in the paint shop at the moment, will report back once it hit the road again.