1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Electrical Issue 06 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeremy Lekich, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Jeremy Lekich

Jeremy Lekich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hello,
    My 06 Prius has a strange issue I can't figure out. This was happening about once a week for a while but is now happening at least once a day!
    When I push the power button to turn on the car, the dashboard with odometer and fuel gauge is completely dark. The center console works, but does not track the mpg like usual. When I drive the car for a bit and then try to turn it off, the car will not turn off. I have to unplug the startup battery in the back and then plug it back in to get it to restart and then it acts normal for a bit. I replaced the startup battery recently and replaced the batteries in my fabs.
    Any thoughts on where to go next?
    Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can DIY, then replace the capacitors. Otherwise go with a lifetime warranty : Prius Speedometer Replacement

JC91006 likes this.
  3. Jeremy Lekich

Jeremy Lekich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    This is great! Thank you. I’ll get on doing both of those things.

4. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had the same issue the other morning (first relatively cold morning so far: 45F).

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They seem to fail with cold more than heat.

I got a combo from from Matt @texas its going on its third year working good.

Here's a YT of the dash dismantle. Not to hard actually. I'm 66 and I did it so no excuses lol....