1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

weird engine noise , any ideas!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Noop, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Noop

Noop New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hello everyone,
    Recently i nticed a weird noise i guess it’s coming from the engine,, i cant describe it or hunt where it is coming from,
    All i know it appears when the engine is IDLE and disappears when pressing the throttle, this is a clip hope it can help

My car is a prius 2011 with 60k mile on it

2. Noop

Noop New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Its like that rumbling sound in the background

3. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That video isnt awful helpful. Keep it just in case but you can only hear the engine. Maybe headphones would help.

4. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kind of sounds like exhaust heat shield metal to metal vibration but that video is still loud and vague for me to isolate the actual noise clearly. Sorry.

5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I heard clicking plus a background whirring noise. The clicking could just be the hydraulic tappets before they have pumped up, so you possibly have valve tappet noise. (Maybe check oil level to ensure that there is enough oil ensure adequate oil pressure?)
    The whirring I really have no idea.
    BUT, you can purchase at an good auto parts store a doctor's stethoscope with a metal rod screwed into the "listening" part. Be very careful using that tool as the noises traveling to your ears when you touch that metal rod to any solid object are VERY HIGHLY AMPLIFIED! The diagnostic sequence is to very carefully touch the metal probe rod to each solid object in the engine bay. When you touch the object that is making the noise, the noise will be a LOT louder (4-5 times as loud as when you touch any of the other components). Once you know what object is the source of the sound, you can more accurately puzzle out why that specific object (or system) is making that specific sound. Good luck!