1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird engine noise when parked

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigPoppa420, Mar 31, 2017.

1. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 Prius broke down on me twice in the past 2 weeks so I don't know if its me being paranoid, or if its always been like this and I just never noticed. I took it to a Toyota dealership after it stalled on me the 2nd time and they said it was due to the air filter being installed backwards and debris in the throttle body. They said everything should be fine now but I have a really bad gut feeling that theres still something wrong with it. Basically my engine makes some weird noises when it's parked and I'd just like to know if its normal.

Audio of engine when parked:

It kinda sounds like its starts up, makes 'sneezing' sounds for a few seconds, then dies down. It'll do that like once every few minutes.

Also another thing I'd like reassurance on is the amber light on the start button.
    When I start the car, I'll get an amber light for a half second before it turns green. Is that also normal? Its also something I started noticing after my car stalled on me.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds to me like the sound the inverter makes when the car is in ready but motor off.
    One thing I know for sure if you have no check engine lights on or no alarms on either the dashboard or the mfd your ok.

You posted very little info but I guess u just bought the car. It makes a lot of noises a non hybrid does not make.

One is the brake accumulator...you can make it make that noise by sitting in the car with the car off.....just pump the brakes a few times....the rattle you hear is the vac motor Ssisting the brake system with air.
    The other predominant noise is the CHRS CANISTER pump activating after u shut the car off. You never hear it until the pump goes bad, you can live without that pump working just fine.it stores hot coolant till the next time u start the car, Not even used in European models.
    It's located in the front of the car right in front of the drivers side tire.
    Shut the car off and listen right there.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? who installed the air filter?

4. Pacific Northwest Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is the noise coming from near the drivers side wheel well?

5. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats your AC compressor

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normal. It boots up a lot faster than a Windows computer but still takes a little time. (y)

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  7. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I was just paranoid.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just for clarification, that is the A/C compressor. I just had it replaced because it exploded. That's the normal sound.

9. Omarftahir

Omarftahir New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My prius is making same noise. What is the issue can u please tell?