1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird grinding noise when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CamDiggy, Oct 19, 2012.

1. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my dealer diagnosed my 2007 Prius with a transaxle issue, but what bothers me is that it doesn't make the sound all the time. When I brake lightly, there is no sound and when I brake heavily there isn't either. It is only when I do a medium brake above 7 mph of course and around 20's mph range.
    I am hoping for something besides the transaxle...maybe a wheel bearing...anything.

Any other thoughts besides the transaxle?

2. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure it is not the transaxle. More knowledgeable members would be able to tell you exactly what it is. Btw, it would help to post the mileage on the car. You might consider changing transaxle fluid if you are above 60-70K miles just to be on the safe side.

3. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately this all started after getting the transaxle fluid replaced at another dealership...

I posted on that here

The car just hit 122k

4. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also forgot to mention they thought maybe it was the rotors/brakes and tried replacing them to no avail.

5. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading the thread you linked to, the only thing I am thinking is OH MY GOD! They are not only supremely incompetent but also dishonest to the core. You should definitely contact Toyota customer center in case that service turns into any high $ repair in the future. I just hope they didn't screw-up the tranaxle oil change by draining the inverter coolant instead of transaxle oil (the drain plugs are close to each other) and that's where all your problems started.

Also, please make sure to check that the transaxle oil used was ATF-WS type.

To better diagnose, list all of the work that the dealership did on your car as well as any codes that were thrown by the car at the time. Of course, this problem may not be related to that service at all but that needs to be isolated.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a bad feeling it was going to get stupid which is why I warned you in the original link you pasted to pay attention and GET THE CODES. I meant pay attention to these idiots your dealing with as they sound like they can really mess a car up. I just yelped them and there service center apparently sucks.
    Champion Toyota of Austin - BattleBend Springs - Austin, TX

If its not throwing codes how does the dealer know its the TA? If it was the TA it would be grinding all the time not brake pedal sensitive. No matter what I would not go back to them.

7. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This time I went to a different dealership as I would never go back to Champion Toyota again. The paperwork states "Motor Generator (Transaxle) causing grinding." No error codes caused by this one and I thought that was weird that it was intermittent. Unfortunately I have no other dealership in town besides those 2. Now I am on the hunt for a different mechanic, but at this point I really have no idea what to do or who to go to. I called Toyota customer service, but the woman on the phone said that Toyota could do nothing for me, but would have the customer service manager from Champion Toyota call me. Combing through Yelp as we speak for a new mechanic...

8. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone think I should have the transaxle fluid replaced again just in case? Just trying to come up with a way to get this resolved.

9. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest that you wait for a few more folks to respond. I am sure they have seen something like this before and that would help to narrow down the likely causes. Since the car drives ok apart from the particular scenario you are describing, it is unlikely an issue with the transaxle.

Did the dealer do anything related to the brakes on your car?

10. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They did the rotors and brakes, stating it did not resolve the sound and put my old rotors and brakes back on before even asking me. Honestly, just to narrow it down, I wish they had left the new ones on for me. At least this new dealership didn't break anything else.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There have been reports of bearing failure in the differential section of the trans which is strictly mechanical and would not throw a code. But your complaint that its effect is tied to a braking issue is rare.

2 easy choices. Pull the trans fluid again and look for pieces of metal. You will see pieces of metal on the dump bolt magnet.

Or go to an independent and have them put it on a lift with someone in the car. Drive the car on the lift while the mechanic listens under the car.

But this is not connected to the Champion dealer though is it? Trans was fine when it went in and then drove away and heard grinding? If so I cannot see how unless they forgot to put fluid back in the trans.
    Please elaborate specifically to this timeline.

12. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Timeline:

1. 3rd week in August, took car to a different dealer to get it checked out before a road trip as my mechanic retired a few months prior. They did a "multi-point inspection" stating the car was in perfect health only needing a few recalls done.

2. 4th week in August, took back in to get the recalls done. They stated I should also do a transaxle fluid drain/fill, tune up etc etc. (all seen in my original post)

3. Got car back, broke down on the way home, car was towed back to dealer next day, fixed and given back.

4. I noticed the new sound about a day after I got it back. I decided to google it rather than ever return to the dealer. Forums said I should brake in neutral to clean off the rotors, which seemed to fix the issue, or maybe it was just the way I was braking then. I have no idea.

5. Around mid-September, it seemed to be getting worse as time went on, took it to the new dealer, and they stated the rotors and brakes needed to be done. I held off for a while as it would around $600.

6. Decided to get brakes done a few days ago, and...that's when they gave me the bad news.

Hope this helps! Thanks again, I really do appreciate all this. I don't want to point the finger at anyone if this is just a coincidence...it just seems like the perfect storm from a car that was perfect when checked out before all this days before and never causing any issues.

13. 2006_HK

2006_HK First Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cam,

I searched the forum for "noise brake" titles and there are several threads. Have you gone through them to make sure this hasn't been seen/addressed before?

I am hoping somebody like Pat Wong can give you more guidance on what the next steps should be. Do you have vibration alongwith the noise? Is the noise coming from front or rear? Here are a few threads to check in the meantime if you have not looked at them:

Grinding noise when braking - Only 42000 km on 2004 Prius | PriusChat

Strange noise when braking?? | PriusChat

2007 Prius Brake noise and lockup | PriusChat

hearing a weird noise? think brake dust (horses) not wheel bearings (zebras) | PriusChat

Used 2010 Prius, brake pedal bark noise, worth returning car? | PriusChat

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Form your other post:
    The above (in bold) is what really rings alarm bells for me. Normally the first thing you'd do after replacing the coolant pump is to turn it on and test it - check for coolant flow and lack of air bubbles etc. If the replacement pump was obviously faulty then you'd notice it pretty much immediately, go grab another one off the shelf and replace it straight away. It would probably add an extra 40 minutes to the job.

Them literally taking days to sort it out, then still not really having it ready for you, and finally having all the other issues start immediately following this fiasco is just incredibly suspect. Personally I think they must have made some kind of massive mistake, like filling the coolant loop with ATF and the transmission with coolant or something absolutely crazy like that. Otherwise I just can't see why they need it for days and then seemingly want to "hide" all the codes from you like they did.

15. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So...I was finally able to get the codes from Champion Toyota, the code they finally got was P0A474. Does this mean anything to anyone?

16. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am assuming after some research, it's P0A7A, but I called back to confirm and they kept saying P0A74.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Close but think your missing some digits. POA is Hybrid codes and are normally:

POAxx-xxx

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    POA7a (missing 3 digit minor subset) is Generator/Inverter malfunction.
    Possible issue with MG2 or Inverter.

Get it up on a lift and listen to trans.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever have to get the Inverter coolant pump replaced? And has this car seen alot of wicked hills?

20. CamDiggy

CamDiggy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So...after I got the codes from the customer relations manager, I get a call 5 minutes later for me to bring the car back to get it "checked out." I expressed my concerns, but they insisted this is the only way they will do anything for me. Not sure still...