1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird grinding noise when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CamDiggy, Oct 19, 2012.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It doesn't really sound right, that the brake actuator would cause the driveabilty issue that you mentioned (loss of power). I thought that it would cause some form of braking anomaly rather than the loss of power that you reported.

Whatever they're doing, I sure hope that they get the problem resolved for you. Let us know how it turns out.

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly what I thought Uart. How does bad BA kill the car? When the BA goes you know it as you basically have no brakes.
    Thats one sketchy dealer.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great news, all the best!

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe I've got a suspicious mind or something, but I cant help thinking that the brake actuator thing is just a cover story to get the car back in the workshop for a few days (without admitting that they foobared the transmission) while they try to patch-up/cover-up/whatever-up the mess they made previously. The fact that they already kept the car for three days just to fit the coolant pump tells you that there has to be something more to this.

I'm certain that the dealer knows more about this issue than what they are telling.

RachaelH, prius8409 and edthefox5 like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with that again Uart.

6. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't possibly be that the service manager decided to prioritize other cars to keep actual paying customers happy, versus the warranty work from the already sour customer?

You guys and your assumptions... I guess this site would only be half as full of posts without them, but geez.

Occams' razor, c'mon!

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you should read all the post again there is no way this dealer is being strait and is obviously incompetent.

8. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Are you a lawyer? I kindof smell you out.

9. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading comprehension isn't the issue here... it's hysteria. The OP is giving us a second-hand account of what's going on at the dealership.
    Then folks are chiming in with half-baked (now twice seperated from reality) theories of what's going on, and everyone jumps on the "lets demonize a dealership" bandwagon, as that seems to be a popular theme around here.
    I'm merely positing another theory that could explain the OP's experience. If you're not the hysterical type, I'd suggest you consider it. A dealership involves a lot of people doing a lot of different things... a dealership is not one person looking at every car, making every call, writing every order, etc. I'd bet more than one mechanic touched the OP's car and the service manager is pulling his hair out trying to sort out the mess...

Sorry, I'm feeling a little gassy. Had a burrito for lunch. Not a lawyer, though.

richard schumacher likes this.
  10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hopefully the OP will get back to us and let us know how it turned out soon. :)

11. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    it is ABS actuator problem, I just got it fixed out of extended warranty, it might be done by bleeding brake fluid but I will pay it out of my own pocket, so I ended up paying $0 and free renting a 2012 prius V for four days, and you know what? I love my GenII even more after driving GenIII, visuability is bad on a GenIII and MPG is bad also.

RachaelH likes this.