1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird issues after getting the recall update?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rupert B Puppenstein, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For me, it was more of a nagging worry in the back of my mind that this recall would be similar to Honda's Civic hybrid recall to update the software system for their IMA. After the recall, the Civic had very little electric assist and many times you were stuck trying to merge into traffic using a 90 hp ICE. The battery would constantly need to recharge itself and dump all of its charge whenever you used the electric motor too hard and at the end of the day, you were lucky to end with a 40-42 mpg average even with good driving techniques. I was left with the annoying thought that I paid nearly as much for my used Civic hybrid as I could have for a brand new Elantra and gotten the same mpg. At least the Hyundai would have been newer, had more hp and the seats could fold down in the back.

WE0H likes this.
  2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That Koolaid drinking thing many years ago, maybe in the '70's where everyone lined up to drink the Koolaid thinking it was all fine n dandy :) The software update will be fine for most I think. It's all good ;)

Mike [​IMG]

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove the new Elantra all over the country back when I was trying to decide Elantra or Prius. It is a very nice car. A bit soft rear suspension but drives awesome and has all kinds of neat stuff inside :) There are lots of my posts on here somewhere showing my mpg tests. I was able to consistently get tank averages above 40 mpg combined city & highway driving just like I drive a Prius minus the very handy HSI meter. Wish all cars had something similar to show real time efficiency. Elantra is a good car. Prius won though after my 20k+ mile test drive over 2.5 years ;) The solar roof and other neat stuff swayed me as did hanging out on this forum. At the time, the Elantra forum was full of know it all's and not much fun :(

Mike :)

4. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our driving is almost all "highway" we have almost zero stop and go city driving here. So if there is a measurable difference in power or mpg at highway speeds then we'll notice it after a few tanks.

So far, everything seems the same to me other that the battery fill indicator always seeming to be near-full. And lets remember that those indicator bars could have no practical application. Remember when Apple & ATT were getting complaints about iPhones only getting 2 bars? They did a software update and now everyone got 3 bars. The signal itself was no stronger, they just made it so that X = 3 Bars instead of X = 2 bars. I suspect that the battery fill light is similarly subjective, and subject to display fiddling.

Just my opinion.

I do think you are playing with fire if you DON'T get the recall done. If the inverter goes within your 7/150k Hybrid warranty and you didn't have a recall done, you might not get it covered. Especially if the dealership notes that you refused it. All at the expense of a few reports/opinions of lower mpg and less power? No thanks.

5. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh my broken Elantra that burst-off on Interstate I-85 :D.
    I used to have 3 Hyundai car, Accent (1996) , Elantra(1997), and Tiburon(2003). My first "dead" car in Interstate I-85 was my Elantra, :D.
    I am done with Korean car, and jumped to Japanese Car, Since my wife againsts buying American and Korean Cars. my wife is a king, she rules!!

on the topic:
    Has been driving for 2 weeks since done with recall.
    I do not see a major drawback. just minors that I am getting used to.
    Acceleration is a bit different, I can not hit the gas pedal to get always full power from HV Battery, once I senses loss acceleration with engine start to kick harder, I release slowly the pedal, and hit the pedal again to get acceleration again :D. not a biggie for me.

I prefer the brake handling, more conventional braking during low speed and transitioning smoothly, and less corrosion on disc brakes( just me, seeing corrosion on disc, made me worry).

my mpg is a bit better with unpredicted weathers, 1-3 more on MFD, compared before recall.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get the "Jim Jones" reference.

But whenever I use the "Kool Aid" analogy, I use it as suggesting a situation where people are blinding themselves to the reality, and choosing to do something damaging or potentially dangerous, thinking it is a "great thing".

And I think it is at least debatable as to whether that definition fits someone choosing to do the recall, or someone choosing to NOT do the recall. I personally think "drinking the kool aid" in this case, is convincing yourself it's best to NOT do the recall.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jim Jones, that's what I was thinking while snowblowing this morning ;) Was that in South America or Central America? IDK, the software will do the trick for many people. Might not be so great for those that run a bit faster. Oh well :)

Mike [​IMG]

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! :D

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The symptoms you describe are not so much the software update as a failing battery, and how the software deals with it. The computer keeping track of the IMA battery's state of charge does that vicariously, ie: it knows the state of charge at the outset, then starts adding/subtracting electrons, like a bank account. And it keeps track of all the additions/subtractions, keeps a running total.

It all works fine, until the battery starts deteriorating, like someone's embezzling from the account. Then it freaks out, displays low/no charge (even though nothing's really changed), and force charges it, while limitting assist and directly monitoring charge.

Then when it gets it as fully charged as possible (whatever that might be...), it kicks the state of charge display up to "full".

hybridbear likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds just like my Prius at the moment.

11. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's what I thought. ;)

WE0H likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By not driving entirely Highway? ;)

13. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, until your Prius fails you in the middle of a highway and somebody hits you from behind.

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or it fails when you're half way past overtaking a truck at 70 mph like happened to me!!

My car slowed down as it just cut out and the dash lit up - no power, nothing. The truck driver assumed I was just slowly overtaking him and kindly (at least he thought he was) slowed down to let me pass quicker, which was the worse thing he could have done. Eventually I pulled in behind him, popped on the hazards and pulled onto the grass.

It was late, the roads were quiet, nobody was behind me and all ended well. If I'd had tried the same manoeuvre 5 hours earlier things could have been so different.

The reduced power after the recall is noticeable when you have the foot to the floor. It isn't there in normal driving. The car does seem to use the engine more, but economy seems slightly better (though weather is warmer).

All in all I'm still happy and if it stops one person having a 'brown trouser' moment like I had, or worse, then it's been worthwhile.

The recall has been issued as a recall for a good reason!

Chris S likes this.
  15. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The last time I skipped a recall was for a 1985 Tercel. My thought was it's a Toyota It should run forever! Then the wife walks into the house 10 minutes after leaving. Sure enough, the recalled ignition part quit down the street. I had to have it towed the next day. I figure my 2010 was from the first boat load in June 2009 and needs every software update it can get.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2013 Prius IS pre-update. I checked it tonight. That line is absent while the vehicle is in park. So it not being there in park, has nothing to do with the update...has always been that way.

PriusInParadise likes this.
  17. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great! Thanks for the reply.
    Now we have to make sure "CTitanic" sees this, as he was the OP with this concern.

18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two threads this issue was brought up in, this one and one of the original recall threads. I think CTitanic knows now.

I posted the post above before I read all the responses in the other thread, but I think it is clear now.

Funny, I like the HSI indicator as my default screen, and I pay attention to that line when I am driving. But I couldn't really remember if the line was always there, or only there after putting the car in drive.

I'm glad it's not affected by the update ( could never really think why it would be )...that's the screen that I think a relative hybrid driving novice can most easily gain the best direct knowledge as far as trying to drive efficiently or learning how to drive the hybrid efficiently. I would of hated it, if for some reason Toyota screwed it up.

I might imagine a lot of "ghosts" after the update BUT...at least the HSI screen will be the same.

19. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! That's why I asked. Human mind is tricky, this is why I believe that truth is a relative concept and no an absolute one.

milkman44 likes this.
  20. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One issue after update: Car wouldn't detect key when in hand in driver's seat. I was in park waiting for a passenger when I tried to leave the car's yellow triangle popped up and started blinking-key not detected. I waved it around and nothing. I had to restart the car for it to detect key. No idea what happened. I did hit the unlock/lock button a few times before to let the passenger in the backseat. A connection? IDK.