1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Noise Behind Dashboard?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chodronish, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello all. I recently purchased a 2007 Prius Touring that has an intermittent noise that seems to originate behind the display panel with speedometer, odometer, etc. It's fairly quiet usually, but sometimes louder; I often have to listen for it to hear it. I think it is the same sound people in other forums have described as sounding like coffee brewing or a CD trying to load. I originally thought it sounded like mice in the dash chewing on things and then like light rain drops. I checked, and no coffee, CDs, mice, or rain in there. When I had a multi-point inspection done at Toyota dealership, he moved an A/C hose, but of course that did nothing. I don't think they realized what I was describing in retrospect. Any ideas?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's just the sound of the brake accumulator pump working. When you press the brake every 2 times, you'll hear the faint noise on the 2nd time you press down.

3. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I never heard this sound in my other 2007 Prius, and it's not in the 2008 Prius. I haven't noticed it being timed with anything. It is non-stop when it is making the sound, which is most of the time, sometimes louder than others.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another possibility is the sound of the 3 way coolant valve going bad. There are videos of that sound posted on here, maybe our volunteer historian Mendel can dig it up and post it on here for you.

Whenever you hear this sound, you can open the car hood and hear it too. It'll come from under the inverter with a somewhat pulsing sound.

5. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is what sounded like my sound on the other site: "The crackle or coffee brewing noise started. He got under the dash on passenger side and asked me to make the noise happen over and over so I would start up the ac and fan full blast then press the power button to the whole climate control system. Then one last time he said try it again. Long behold no noise. I asked him what he did and he said he disconnected the other actuator that was on the passenger side under dash but towards center console. I was very happy and quite an easy diagnosis. So they actually changed the one in the dash yesterday because it was making noise when they checked it and one below on passenger side today."

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There aren't too many sounds that are in the dash area, the ones I read are usually related to p1121 3 way valve problems or if the coolant was changed/leaking recently, there's still air that's in the coolant loop.

If you look in the engine, to the left side (facing the car), there's a water pump driven by a belt. If there's pink crusty deposits there, you have a leaking water pump (which is common). That will make your coolant run low and cause the 3 way valve to have a problem. If there's air in the system, that will also make strange sounds in your dash area.

So all would be related to your engine coolant.

7. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks - I will check it out. It's a very annoying sound, and of course I don't want to neglect anything that needs to be fixed.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The "cd trying to load" sound is a bad 3 way coolant valve, which will get a code p1121 if you read the codes.

You have a warranty on the car correct? It's not a big problem but if you pay the dealer to do it, it would be close to $500

9. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yikes, and no warranty. Is it something someone other than dealer could do? How do I check codes?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to get a Prius able code reader "for example a mini VCI cable with techstream" from Amazon. That way you can diagnose the cars yourself.

Whether it's a water pump replacement or a 3 way coolant valve replacement, both are pretty simple to do. It's not a major overhaul of your engine. Anybody with a little wrenching skills can do these 2 services.

11. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's great to know. Thanks so much!

12. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe others can ring in on this, I bought my cable a few years ago and I'm using it on Windows 7. Maybe there's something newer now

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The product and description sound right, and there is also a product image with a small CD that might contain the Xhorse driver and or TIS software.

Chodronish likes this.
  15. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While looking into this, it seems iffy whether these types of things can be used with Windows 10 without going through quite a lot to get it to work. It looks like there are a lot of other options as well, but it's unclear if they work for a Gen II Prius (or any hybrid cars). Anyone have any recommendations with regard to any of these? I'm talking about things like Carista. I definitely want to get one of these, but I want it to work with my computer and/or phone I guess, and of course for my car? But I don't know what I'm doing in choosing one. Here's an example and the "may not" work for hybrids statement. Thanks so much for help already.

#15 Chodronish, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be possible you found a cable that includes a Windows 10 driver that works, if so I'm sure the community would appreciate your sharing.

Though I haven't traveled down that OBD/Bluetooth road, I'm pretty sure all of them will work with your car.

Regarding which app will work with which piece of hardware is a whole different story, I would recommend reading up here as much as you can : Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps | PriusChat

I've read that some apps need a high-speed connection to function properly.

Chodronish likes this.
  17. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I looked under the hood for crusty pink stuff and did not see anything. Someone with a Honda told me she had a similar intermittent noise that didn't throw any codes that turned out to be the water pump. I could not hear the sound with the hood up except from within the car.

18. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chodronish likes this.
  20. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted on another forum a coffee brewing sound, but I described it as an animal eating something and moving in my steering column. The coffee brewing is a much more accurate sound.