1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noise left front tire after changing tires any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Syed Ashar Ali, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Syed Ashar Ali

Syed Ashar Ali Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So I went to go visit a client of mine in a apartment complex and he didn't give me Gate code. The exit gate was open I went in there. Realized all 3, except 1 tire was cut through spikes as I entered the exit.
    Tried driving it to the nearest tire place which was 1 mile away. Couldn't even do that. Tires were completely gone.
    Called used tire shop if they can bring and change. They had 195/65/15 only. OK great. Comes and changes within one hour.
    Now when I drive it, there's this noise coming around my left front tire only when I go less than 20mph. Car is driving fine. But going at low speeds I can hear this noise which is very noticeable. I don't know how to explain. Kind of like a grinding metallic noise. Noise disspears if I go above 30mph or so.
    Noise was not there before tires changed. Also. After the tire technician was done changing tires, he gave me a lugnut back saying this broke. Could that have something to do with the noise?

Any idea what it could be? Could it be something inside the tire itself? Seems like something is touching something at low speeds. I have no clue. Any help appreciated

#1 Syed Ashar Ali, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should be able to determine which wheel is missing a nut and replace it.

try swapping the front and back tires and see if the noise changes.

how are the tires pressure?

3. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My guess would be the dust shield got bent during the tire change.

the dust shield resides behind the rotor and can be bent accidentally. It will then lightly contact the rotor.

The solution is to bend the dust shield away from the rotor. Take a hammer and long flathead screw driver through the wheel spokes and contact the lip of the shield that resides just above the rotor and "tap" it away at various spots.

The picture above shows the wheel bearing and dust shield without the rotor on. If the rotor was on the vehicle the lip of the shield would be just above the rotor.

Here is a picture of a rotor with a dust shield behind it.

You can see the dust shield just peaking over it's edge.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  4. Syed Ashar Ali

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @TheLastMojojomo you were right. That was it. Thank you so much.

Another problem. After the tire technician changed my front driver left wheel he only installed 3/4 lug nuts. My car is shaking fairly. Is this dangerous?

5. Syed Ashar Ali

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have 195/65/15 on 3 tires. And 185/65/15 on right rear passenger tire. I have not checked tire pressure on any tires. But car seems very shaking and bouncing alot. I'm sure there's at least 45 psi

6. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First are you sure there aren't 5 lug nuts? I thought each Prius wheel came with 5 lug nuts unless you mean something different by "3/4 lug nuts".

Are you maybe thinking there's only 1 lugnut for each wheel when there's actually 5 lugnuts for each wheel?

EDIT: nevermind I see your driving a Prius C which only has 4 lugnuts.

But yes, this is extremely dangerous if a loose wheel is causing the shaking. However, 3 of 4 (or 4 of 5) lugnuts tightened properly should be enough to hold the wheel temporarily without alot of shaking.

Are you sure something else didn't happen like one of your wheel rims is now bent from the damage of blowing the tires? Or maybe your wheels need to be rebalanced since a different set of tires were put on?

Everytime you get new tires wheels need to be rebalanced due to there being imperfections in the rubber wheel causing oscillations when it's rotating. Basically small weights are glued/attached to the inside of the rim to balance out these imperfections.

If the tire repair company that came and fixed your wheels was respectable, they would have done this on the spot.

I would still replace the broken lugnut first to see if it's that. But be careful with the shaking. I wouldn't drive at all until you figure out what's causing that.

Glad I was able to help with your original problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#6 TheLastMojojomo, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  7. Syed Ashar Ali

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Iam not sure if they were balanced. When I had all my 3 tires flat, which was a couple days ago I tried driving to the nearest tire shop which was 1.8 miles away. But I couldn't get to it because the tires were completely gone and flat. I only made it to a block.

I had to call a local mobile tire guy from the nearest store. He bought 3 tires 195/65/15. And installed it in the middle of the road. But I'm not sure if he balanced it

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Prius c only has 4 lugs per wheel- and you really want all 4 installed.

You need to get that car into a good tire shop (or general purpose mechanic) and have them replace the broken stud so you'll be back to 4 lugs holding it on. If nothing else, get them to inspect the work that was done on the street and correct anything else they find wrong.

You should probably replace those 3 wrong-size tires. That's a tough one. You definitely want to get four matched tires on there, no question about that.