1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noise when stepping gas, then stopped

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Triinu, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Triinu

Triinu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, excited to be here! So yesterday I was driving and then suddenly car broke down, a really weird noise came when stepping gas and the car didn't move, no warning signs. Got the car towed to a mechanic who stated that battery was completely dead and he fixed some electrical issues and said that problem fixed, diagnostics are clear with no errors.

Took the car today and noticed that brakes don't work as normal, then I drove about 10 miles and the same issue happened again, in the middle of a busy intersection. Got the car towed again.

Could this be an issue with the 12v battery? Or what could this be?

Any ideas appreciated.

#1 Triinu, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How old is the 12 volt battery?

How is the hybrid battery behaving based on what you see on the mfd?

The car has logged diagnostic codes. Those are the lights you see on the dash. It will tell you exactly what its unhappy about.
    Those codes an be harvested by using the appropriate obd code reader.

First thing to check is the inverter colant pump. If that fails the inverter/trans will overheat and then it crowbars the inverter and kills the car.

make the car ready. Open the hood. tak ehte cap off the inverter collant reservoir its just to the left of the big sqaure silver cobver it has red fluid in it.
    Thats fluid should show signs of pump movement should have ripples in it or pretty good movement. Mine with a new pump looks like the fluid iws boiling it has so much movement. if its just sitting there not moving you need a new pump.

very common issue.

SFO likes this.
  3. Triinu

Triinu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your response! The guy at the repair shop just called and said it's the hybrid engine with part no 30900-47040 has failed and is unrepairable and now I should evaluate whether the car is worth fixing, if so, I should find a new part. I asked whether there's anything else that should be replaced aswell, like belts, pumps, etc. and he said not.

In your opinion guys, is this 30900-47040 part really unrepairable or are there scenarios under which it could be fixed still? I'm searching this part from ebay, what should I pay attention to, apart from mileage?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats the part number for the transmission. New trans retails for $3500. + labor=. About 10 hours.

Cant imagine the mechanic fixed anything on that trans the first time there's really nothing that can be replaced without taking it out and even then no one on this site ever replaced parts on there trans so don't understand what your issue is.

On your first post you said "no warning signs". if the car broke down on the street there would be many warning signs many diagnostic check engine type lights on the dash. So don't know what that's all about either.

Tell me about yourself. Are you the Mr or the Mrs? I see you have a little guy so you need a good car. Are you handy with cars & tools and mechanic knowledge This discussion will help you make a better decision because an old prius that starts throwing mystery problems and at the mercy of a mechanic is no place you want to be.

Also bottom line even if you repair this issue which is starting to sound expensive you still have a ticking time bomb in the back hatch the hybrid battery and your way overdue for a new one of those. Unless your really good with electronics that will be very very expensive.
    The car is a paperweight without a good hybrid battery.

This site is filled with folks with 07's with failed or failing hybrid battery's myself included so keep that in mind if you plan on sinking alot of money in this car..

You never mentioned how many miles it has. if its approaching 200,000 miles time for new ride.

Good luck.

5. Triinu

Triinu New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I am Mrs., although I don't get why this matters :D ?? I do have a BMW that I DIY myself, but hybrids are another topic..

Okay, so I need a new transmission, what about getting a used one from a low mileage car that costs about 300.- ? The repairs shop said it's about days work for replacement..

I don't see any issues with hybrid battery, and if it starts to fail, can't I just change modules that are broken?

The cars mileage shows 101000 miles.

Are you saying that if transmission fails that indicates that everything else will fail soon aswell? Is there some sort of a mechanical fact related to this?