1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird OBD2 problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tada, May 1, 2018.

1. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Last night on my way home I went by the supermarket for my wife. When I came out to start the car, it would not start at all. Couldn't get a Ready indication. The display did not show any transmission positions on the indicator. I sat there thinking of what could be wrong. First thought - auxiliary 12 V battery.

Had my meter with me. Measured 12.6 V. Hmmm. So I also had my phone with me and the ELM327 adapter plugged into my OBD port. I ran the codes. Found an HV ECU error. Ok, so 12 V may be the problem.

I tried starting the car again. This time it fired right up with the CEL for the HV ECU.

Drove the car home, only a few blocks. Tried to read the codes again and clear them. The OBD adapter would not respond. The car would also not start. So I got my PC out and cleared the codes. With the ELM327 not attached, the car fires right up with no problem. I reattached the ELM327. This time, not only did I get the CEL back, I get the triangle of death, PS, exclamation point, the whole thing. And no starting again.

I saw this exact symptom before when I used a Wifi adapter on the OBD2 port. Caused all kinds of false errors. I guess these Gen 1s (at least mine) just don't like the OBD2 adapters that are available. It has no problem with the Techstream and its cable, just bluetooth and wifi adapters.

#1 tada, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you did all your weekend work, did you change the coolant in the inverter system? Sure you got it burped? Is your inverter coolant pump working okay? Working at all? When my car threw the codes and wouldn't start last summer I'd just come off a high speed run (over 65 mph) had let it sit for a few minutes, and then it wouldn't start. Eventually it cooled off enough to restart, but the triangle of death etc. were still lit. That nite the whole car cooled off enough that the warnings went off. And the car was okay for the remainder of my trip.

When I got home, the code came back and it turned out that the cooling pump was bad. So far a new pump has solved the problem.

3. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Coolant for the inverter was changed over a month ago with no problems. Bled it real good. Inverter pump is working fine. Nice turbulence. This is the adapters or my OBD port. I just went outside and started the car right up. No lights, warnings, codes, etc. Then I installed the ELM327. No start. Produced a CEL for a HV ECU failure and the red triangle of death. Removed key from ignition, removed ELM327, and the car starts right up. No triangle of death. Only the CEL logging the HV ECU failure. My car does not like these adapters at all.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure about gen 1, but later generations have shown odd behavior if trying to use the car with an obd plugged in.