1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird occurrence - dead Prius

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by DBLXX, May 13, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have about same age PRIME as yours. I bought mine at the end of Feb. Since 4/19, I have been monitoring my 12v battery and you can read my summary here. 12v Battery Is Discharging, Re-Charge Now ! | Page 11 | PriusChat

It seems PRIME does have low level drain on 12v battery anywhere from 0.04v-0.1v/day while the car is totally inactive. I have not let my car sit for longer than 1 week and ~1.5 hour drive once a week seems to keep the 12v battery charged. But even with this schedule the resting state SoC of the 12v battery declined over time to below 12.3v. If you are not driving, battery maintainer is a must.

That being said as far as the warranty of the 12v battery is concerned, your dealer is absolutely wrong to say the it is not covered by Toyota Basic Warranty. The warranty booklet you received with your car explicitly states following.

Basic Warranty
    This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Toyota, subject to the exceptions indicated under “What Is Not Covered” on pages 15–16.

And there is absolutely no mentioning of 12v battery in the section What Is Not Covered.

#21 Salamander_King, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    See post #8.

3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Battery must be bad.... I let my other cars sit for several months and they start rite up..... let my v sit for six weeks....fired up immediately.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My car did the exact same thing when it was new. Putting the dead (not bad) battery on a low amp charger overnight did the trick. Been fine since but do put it on a maintainer now as I drive it infrequently with the shelter at home directive and all.

benagi likes this.
  5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Guess I've never had a new car with 14 miles.... still not sure if I would trust that battery like a new one.

6. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My opinion is some dealers do not charge the 12v battery. My car came from japan and I took delivery 1 day after it arrived. My guess is the dealer/transit company just charged the car enough to start it. Maybe the car ships with the battery disconnected. But the 1 week+ train ride from the dock probably didn’t help. That was fine but like tho OP I didn’t drive the car much and the car never had a chance to fully charge the (now nearly depleted) 12volt battery. The parasitic drain eventually did me in. I charged the battery myself overnight and monitor it closely ever since. It’s fine now. I reeeeeally doubt one total drain of the battery will ruin it. It didn’t ruin mine.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer is "supposed" to perform all of the items on a pre-delivery checklist, which includes charging the 12V battery.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The post from YOU that I was questioning IS post #8.
    Quotes are useful. Please try to use them more.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why The Toyota Prius 12v Auxiliary Battery Costs So Much | Torque News

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like the quotes.

Our car, purchased new with 10~15 kms on the odometer, in November 2010, had build-date August 2009. When we showed up for a test drive, they "had it running to warm it up" for us. Test drive went well, we went in to seal the deal, and for some reason it was needed to start the car up again. Battery was still dead-as-a-doornail.

Long story short, we made battery replacement a condition of sale.

This was Open Road Toyota, Port Moody.

benagi and Tim Jones like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you notice that the article is specific to Gen1-Gen3 Prius that uses AGM battery in the back? Starting from Gen4 including PRIME, the 12v battery is in the engine compartment and Toyota elected to use a conventional flooded lead-acid battery. Other than the scarcity of the battery matching this size spec, there should be no reason that the 12v battery should cost any more than regular 12v battery used in other cars.

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Another item on the pre-delivery checklist is to install the two (or three, I forget) rubber plugs on the underside of the car. They're usually in the glove box in a plastic bag. I had to have my dealer install them before I took delivery.

13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Here it is for the 2010. I highlighted the 12V battery and rubber plug steps.

Attached Files:

Tim Jones and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think he missed the mark some by not mentioning the current models......which seem to be just "plain" wet cell lead acid types.
    So much for Toyota wanting to put in a better battery.

Do the ones under the hood of the current models carry a similar "premium" price ??

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's two, just inboard of the rear scissor jack positions. That was another "x" for Open Road Pomo Toyo, with us. One was installed, one missing. That was what drew my attention to it (I kinda live under the car). Checked with them and yup there should be one on both sides, so they gave me another, gratis.

Tim Jones likes this.